News: Jackets won't qualify Alex Nylander

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Why? They traded for him when he was a minor leaguer, put him straight into the NHL, he had great numbers and they don't even want to qualify him? Bizarre.
He was fine on a team that sucked. Clearly Waddell wants some veterans in these roster spots not some only offense guys

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Guy was probably on a heater that isn't sustainable. They just had Jack Roslovic for a handful of years. Fool me once, shame on you. They weren't gonna be fooled twice.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
He was also getting good minutes on a team that had injured guys that would normally take those minutes. Atleast for his sake that little run probably has someone take a chance on him, doesnt feel as close to complete bust now

nashnaidoo

Sponsor
Dec 15, 2004
I think two things come into play:

1. He was brought in as an injury replacement. Despite his good performance CBJ has their guys back for next season.
2. Previous regime brought him in. He is likely not favored by the new GM.

I think his good performance may give him an opportunity during free agency. At least the opportunity to fight for a spot.

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I was kind of hoping to keep him, but, well, y'know, whatever. It was a nice story while it lasted; I'm just hopeful that not QOing him doesn't go on to become a cautionary tale.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I don't get it. CBJ traded for him as a reclamation project. He reclamated like an animal scoring 11G 4A in 23 GP. A won trade look to have happened. Is CBJ really moving on here?
Would you want your team giving him 16+ minutes and PP time each game to replicate last year?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Would you want your team giving him 16+ minutes and PP time each game to replicate last year?
Good point. He would see minimal, nearly zero PP time in Edmonton. But looking at his stats, it seems only 2 goals were off the PP last year for CBJ and the rest of his production was at Evens.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
This is all about arbitration and not wanting to go to arbitration for a borderline NHLer who got hot for a couple of weeks.

11 goals in arbitration = 1.5 M award or so I would guess.

He was going to get paid closer to $1m x 1. Nylander would have happily signed a 1 year prove it contract with the one team he's fit with so far.

Jackets weren't fooled by a few good games

Nylander sucks

He was good on several different lines and for more than a few games. He was initially put with third liners like Sillinger and started scoring right away, then injuries gave him a spot next to Gaudreau and he kept scoring goals.

When you have half a dozen young skilled guys who need ice time and a severe shortage of gritty consistent vets to complement them, then where do you fit in a guy like Alex Nylander? You don't. That's why he has to go.

He started his scoring spree on the third line with Cole Sillinger. It wasn't just minutes, it certainly wasn't the CBJ PP helping someone out.

I think two things come into play:

1. He was brought in as an injury replacement. Despite his good performance CBJ has their guys back for next season.
2. Previous regime brought him in. He is likely not favored by the new GM.

I think his good performance may give him an opportunity during free agency. At least the opportunity to fight for a spot.

I don't know if he is really out of favor by Waddell in particular. Anyone who puts together an armchair GM lineup for the Jackets will realize the problem. There's nowhere to put him unless you're subtracting your prized young RFA players.

Reactions: Leafshater67

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Worth following. Makes complete sense from Columbus' perspective. It'd be nice if he could replicate that production elsewhere.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
He was going to get paid closer to $1m x 1. Nylander would have happily signed a 1 year prove it contract with the one team he's fit with so far.

He was good on several different lines and for more than a few games. He was initially put with third liners like Sillinger and started scoring right away, then injuries gave him a spot next to Gaudreau and he kept scoring goals.

When you have half a dozen young skilled guys who need ice time and a severe shortage of gritty consistent vets to complement them, then where do you fit in a guy like Alex Nylander? You don't. That's why he has to go.

He started his scoring spree on the third line with Cole Sillinger. It wasn't just minutes, it certainly wasn't the CBJ PP helping someone out.

I don't know if he is really out of favor by Waddell in particular. Anyone who puts together an armchair GM lineup for the Jackets will realize the problem. There's nowhere to put him unless you're subtracting your prized young RFA players.
He got offensive minutes in favorable positions. It was a little bit of fun to end a miserable year but I wont miss him just like I dont miss Roslovic

Reactions: ViD and Cowumbus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad