Speculation: Jackets open for business, 4th overall available for right deal

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Time for everyone to vastly underrate the value of a top 4 pick.

7 years of cheap control.

Think superstar. Think your 1C, your superstar winger, or your best dman. with term. Think Elias Pettersson, Brady Tkachuk,

Or, think a proven STUD with bargain control. think Wyatt Johnson, Matthew Boldy

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Think superstar. Think your 1C, your superstar winger, or your best dman. with term.
Pretty much, altho that's for an outright trade. For a trade up scenario you need to already be pretty high in the draft order, and then also be willing to give up a player that the Jackets really badly need.

I think there's all of two, maybe three teams in a position to do that, but I don't think any of them would want to if they knew who they were and what we'd want.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Pretty much, altho that's for an outright trade. For a trade up scenario you need to already be pretty high in the draft order, and then also be willing to give up a player that the Jackets really badly need.

I think there's all of two, maybe three teams in a position to do that, but I don't think any of them would want to if they knew who they were and what we'd want.
Yep, like for NJD I think it would be something like 10th overall+Dawson Mercer. Now, I wouldn't offer that because it doesn't make sense given our team state. If anything I could see us trading down, or trading up a small amount if a guy falls.

But that's the kind of thing it would take

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yep, like for NJD I think it would be something like 10th overall+Dawson Mercer. Now, I wouldn't offer that because it doesn't make sense given our team state. If anything I could see us trading down, or trading up a small amount if a guy falls.

But that's the kind of thing it would take
Something like that, except I wouldn't have considered NJD one of the teams in question, because we need a specific type of experienced roster player.

Reactions: dgibb10

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Something like that, except I wouldn't have considered NJD one of the teams in question, because we need a specific type of experienced roster player.
Yeah I don't think even in the craziest of fan boredom does NJD trading up to 4 make sense for either side. Was just throwing something out based on pieces I know the most about.

thebestnic

Jun 29, 2022
Feels like the kind of thing we hear each year but no gm is gonna trade a top 5 pick knowing how valuable those picks are with a salary cap

Reactions: Xoggz22

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose

Think superstar. Think your 1C, your superstar winger, or your best dman. with term. Think Elias Pettersson, Brady Tkachuk,

Or, think a proven STUD with bargain control. think Wyatt Johnson, Matthew Boldy
there was one Canucks fan who thought the Sharks trading #1OA (aka Celebrini) for Elias the Playoff Ghost Pettersson was a totally fair and realistic proposal.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Feels like the kind of thing we hear each year but no gm is gonna trade a top 5 pick knowing how valuable those picks are with a salary cap
A top 4 pick has never been traded in the salary cap era.

5th overall was traded once, in a trade down to 7 (further flipped for 9)

7th overall was traded 1 other time for Debrincat.

thebestnic

Jun 29, 2022
A top 4 pick has never been traded in the salary cap era.

5th overall was traded once, in a trade down to 7 (further flipped for 9)

7th overall was traded 1 other time for Debrincat.
Thanks. So it happened once as I don't think a top 3 was traded either ?

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Just for fun, and assuming Montreal views Demidov, Levshunov and Lindstrom as DEFINITELY better (and better fits) than anybody they could draft at pick number 5 :

to Columbus Blue Jackets
5th overall pick
Samuel Montembeault (3y @ $3.15m)
Jordan Harris (1y @ $1.4m RFA)
( retain $1.62m on Merzlikins )
TOTAL CAP = $6.17m (+ Jiricek to AHL, remove Jiricek cap from roster)
CAP CHANGE = open $0.1484m in cap

to Montreal Canadiens
4th overall pick
Elvis Merzlikins (30% retained) (3y @ $3.78m)
maybe Columbus adds like a 4th or 5th or 6th rounder too ? no ?
TOTAL CAP = $3.78m (+ Struble to NHL, add Struble cap to roster)
CAP CHANGE = add $0.0975m in cap

Columbus will trade Montembeault between now and next summer so that Greaves has an NHL spot and doesn't need to be waived or have 3 goalies on roster. Perhaps they trade him right away to Detroit for Husso (with or without retention) and a pick.

MONTREAL - Merzlikins + Primeau
COLUMBUS - Montembeault + Tarasov ( + Greaves callup )

or

MONTREAL - Merzlikins + Primeau
COLUMBUS - Tarasov + Husso ( + Greaves callup )
DETROIT - Montembeault + Lyon ( + Cossa callup )

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

I predict nobody's going to come anywhere near something that would be considered "the right deal" within the first two pages of this thread.

EDIT: First five minutes and we're already 0 for 2.
Shesterkin
straight up

CBJ gets known elite talent
if he doesn't extend you flip for a haul
but you have a chance to retain and buid

Rs gamble Garand under Quick will work sufficiently
4OA helps recover from prior win now rental wastes

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Can't imagine what they'd be looking for, or what would suffice for the 4th overall.

On one hand, this draft isn't really that great and 2/3-12 has been seen as pretty interchangeable. But yet there's a lot of value in being able to pick in that range and get the guy you like the most.

I'm not sure I'd part with a young surefire thing for a pick in that range that's already contributing at the NHL level like I'd imagine the Jackets will want. But then again, i have no idea what they need.

Reactions: biturbo19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad