Tribute (Jack Campbell is my life) Jack Campbell Extreme Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
No I want him gone like how I hated on Babcock for 3 years, and finally one is gone and want other one gone too. Both overated trash cans.
I get it, you’re entitled to your opinion and I’m not going to try to change your mind cause it’s pretty obvious you’re set in your ways. I’m just saying every single post from you has been about Andersen; it seems more like a personal vendetta than you not liking him as a goalie given the consistency of your posts

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Shows how bad the Leafs backups have been if 4 good games from a backup causes the boards to collectively cream themselves.

I'm just scared of what will happen when he inevitably has a bad 5 games or so. (He is a backup after all)

Collectively nothing, this here is a celebration that exists within the realm of irrationality. This doesn't represent the majority.

Like I have an irrational appreciation of Frederik Gauthier, but i am aware its irrational and wont argue he's better than he is. There are posters who legit believe Andersen is now a cap dump and we can ride Jack Campbell to a Stanley Cup.

Whats worse is Campbell is like Reimer in that he takes everything to heart and gets rattled easily. This isn't the market for guys like him to have bad 5 game stretches, because all the loonies pumping him up right now will turn on him just as enthusiastically.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He's been a great addition to our team. Hopefully, he can keep this up for the next seven years.

FYP.

4 games played and the goalie is saving our season

lose a game and we need to fire the entire team

win a game and we are planning the parade

.......yeah sounds about right

I've never ever said we need to fire the entire team.
I've never ever said plan the parade.

I did say that right now, it looks like Campbell is saving our season. I think that's fair and accurate and yeah, "about right". It's also due to our precarious place in the standings just as much as it's due to his excellent play. It doesn't mean it will still look like that after he starts 4 more games but for the moment, it's one of the most enjoyable things about this season and I'm enjoying it.

Collectively nothing, this here is a celebration that exists within the realm of irrationality. This doesn't represent the majority.

Like I have an irrational appreciation of Frederik Gauthier, but i am aware its irrational and wont argue he's better than he is. There are posters who legit believe Andersen is now a cap dump and we can ride Jack Campbell to a Stanley Cup.

Whats worse is Campbell is like Reimer in that he takes everything to heart and gets rattled easily. This isn't the market for guys like him to have bad 5 game stretches, because all the loonies pumping him up right now will turn on him just as enthusiastically.

Source?

Maybe that's true, I just haven't heard it. I haven't researched deeply or anything but from what I have read (and seen of course), he sounds like a guy who might be able to be a #1 goalie one day so I sure hope you're wrong. The timing sure is perfect for him, best case scenario is that he keeps playing well, Andersen finds his form again enabling us to roll with a 1A/1B situation until the end of next season before choosing one of them.

For anyone interested, this is the article I read. It's just one article of course but is definitely made me optimistic about what this guy might be able to do for us.
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/jack-campbell-maple-leafs-1.5461422

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Backup goalies are mission critical to that teams success and playoff aspirations.

Campbell is 3-0-1 and might in the midst of saving the Leafs season.
Remember when backup goalies didn’t matter and we over stated their importance?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
The whole leafs team since the trade.
328439B4-B1C1-48BB-8D9E-56B74484E1A9.jpeg

I don’t think I’ve ever seen. Player win over a whole city based on the good game butt slap

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
does this kind of pressure actually help Anderson succeed? I don't think it will. Anderson seems like a guy who needs the job security of being seen as the #1. Him and McElhinney had a great relationship because no matter how well Mc played, it was very very clear to everyone who the top dog was for the foreseeable future. Anderson doesn't seem to handle that pressure well.

I remember when Hutchy had a few good games and then Anderson struggled. We'll see but I have a gut feeling this kinda pressure hurts him. Anderson is a work horse type of goalie who can play play and keep playing. He needs as many games as he can get and starts looking rusty if you give him too many breaks.

Andersen and Gibson were a pretty good platoon in Anaheim, so he's succeeded in competition before, but at the end of the day, we just need the best goalie in the net that the team responds best to.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Show me a good backup goalie and I'll show you a playoff team.
I just can’t get over reading how this backup is saving our season after listening to all the nonsense about Sparks when we dared question the importance of a backup.

Reactions: rubous

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Remember when backup goalies didn’t matter and we over stated their importance?

I don't think anyone predicted Andersen to play this poorly though since Jan 1st.

But you're right, it does show how important having goalie depth is and something this team has missed dearly for a long time. Hopefully Woll develops into a good option in the near future as well, just to keep the pipeline healthy.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I don't think anyone predicted Andersen to play this poorly though since Jan 1st.

But you're right, it does show how important having goalie depth is and something this team has missed dearly for a long time. Hopefully Woll develops into a good option in the near future as well, just to keep the pipeline healthy.
I have hopes for Scott as well down the road.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Im reserving judgement, little worried about his style, and how much he moves in his net, he seems to go down early too. And he also has a history confidence issues. Reading about his background, he doesnt seem to have any formal goaltending training prior to joining the kings... kings former goaltending coach said that coming to the kings campbell told him that in junior he used to rely on athletisim and flopping around to make saves. Then came to the NHL, where his style was not successful at first. Then trained with Hellebuyck in the offseason where he came back and tried to mimick hellebuyck which the former kings goalie coach said was a detriment to campbell (which clearly we all can attest). The former kings goalie coach said they tried to mimick Rask going forward. I am a tiny bit worried that Campbell seems to have had no formal goaltending training prior to joining the kings.

Hoping that he learned alot about positioning in 4 years. He is a great guy with all the tools.

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
does this kind of pressure actually help Anderson succeed? I don't think it will. Anderson seems like a guy who needs the job security of being seen as the #1. Him and McElhinney had a great relationship because no matter how well Mc played, it was very very clear to everyone who the top dog was for the foreseeable future. Anderson doesn't seem to handle that pressure well.

I remember when Hutchy had a few good games and then Anderson struggled. We'll see but I have a gut feeling this kinda pressure hurts him. Anderson is a work horse type of goalie who can play play and keep playing. He needs as many games as he can get and starts looking rusty if you give him too many breaks.
If sharing the net with John Gibson didn't rattle him, I highly doubt sharing it with Jack Campbell will. In fact, Andersen's best season was in Anaheim when he helped them reach the 3rd round of the playoffs and was one win away from reaching the Stanley Cup final.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
When we needed someone to step in and make some saves at a point that could make or break the season he stepped in and got it done. He looked good doing it. He's got some term and he can play. I love me some Soupy.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Andersen and Gibson were a pretty good platoon in Anaheim, so he's succeeded in competition before, but at the end of the day, we just need the best goalie in the net that the team responds best to.

If sharing the net with John Gibson didn't rattle him, I highly doubt sharing it with Jack Campbell will. In fact, Andersen's best season was in Anaheim when he helped them reach the 3rd round of the playoffs and was one win away from reaching the Stanley Cup final.

This is a good counter example but at the same time that was only his 2nd season in the league where the stakes were completely different. At that point in your career you're more in a not as much to lose type of situation whereas being regarded as an elite starter comes with its own pressure

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This is a good counter example but at the same time that was only his 2nd season in the league where the stakes were completely different. At that point in your career you're more in a not as much to lose type of situation whereas being regarded as an elite starter comes with its own pressure

If he doesn’t have the mental strength to battle for his number one job having been in the league longer, he’s no good to us in any case. The last thing a contender needs is to try and build around a mentally fragile by coddling.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Are we worrying too much. Andersen has not been good this year for whatever reason. It could be he is battling nagging injuries or problems at home or due to a new diet or whatever. Is there a goalie controversy in Leafsland, not yet. Andersen is still the #1 but if he is in a slump, Campbell needs to play bc the Leafs needs points.

Reactions: Rogie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad