Ivan Demidov vs. Cayden Lindstrom

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Sciatica issues dont go away? Dang, I guess I just because numb to it these last few years
I've had sciatic issues for 30 years. Everyone is different. I can have weeks or months with no symptoms, and weeks or months of mild discomfort. But every once in a while, I'll move some furniture or sit on a long flight with little legroom or even have a hard sneeze... and I'll have 6 weeks or so of hell.

Granted I don't do the stretches I'm supposed to do, so part of it is my own fault. But I'd say sciatica is never really cured. It's managed.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I've had sciatic issues for 30 years. Everyone is different. I can have weeks or months with no symptoms, and weeks or months of mild discomfort. But every once in a while, I'll move some furniture or sit on a long flight with little legroom or even have a hard sneeze... and I'll have 6 weeks or so of hell.

Granted I don't do the stretches I'm supposed to do, so part of it is my own fault. But I'd say sciatica is never really cured. It's managed.
The key is going to be how effective his physical therapy was in emphasizing the use and activation of his core.

Skating is rough on the hips and adductors. He'll have a very tough go of it if he doesn't make a concerted effort on core stability for the rest of his life.

I've had debilitating back spasms where I can't get on/off the toilet without bawling like a baby, along with the sciatic nerve pain. I went to a fantastic PT for 6 months, worked on anti-rotation core stability and the proper activating and bracing of my core, have made it a staple of my warmups and workouts, and can now squat and deadlift relatively issue free. If I do have a flair up I know how to correct it.

For your own sake, make sure you know how to brace your core properly. Lay on your back, put a weight on your belly, and breathe in to push the weight up and then hold the weight up while you take short quick breaths. That is the feeling of proper core stability (spinal bracing) and how you should act/feel whenever you bend/lift/workout etc.

Reactions: HabzSauce

Saxon

Demigod
Mar 9, 2015
The key is going to be how effective his physical therapy was in emphasizing the use and activation of his core.

Skating is rough on the hips and adductors. He'll have a very tough go of it if he doesn't make a concerted effort on core stability for the rest of his life.

I've had debilitating back spasms where I can't get on/off the toilet without bawling like a baby, along with the sciatic nerve pain. I went to a fantastic PT for 6 months, worked on anti-rotation core stability and the proper activating and bracing of my core, have made it a staple of my warmups and workouts, and can now squat and deadlift relatively issue free. If I do have a flair up I know how to correct it.

For your own sake, make sure you know how to brace your core properly. Lay on your back, put a weight on your belly, and breathe in to push the weight up and then hold the weight up while you take short quick breaths. That is the feeling of proper core stability (spinal bracing) and how you should act/feel whenever you bend/lift/workout etc.
Wimp :sarcasm:

• Wow
Reactions: FlyguyOX

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

everyone is different for sure. I had it for a year and a bit, the whole numb leg and all the stuff associated with that. Not a good time. Im an oilfield worker and workout but no issues since. Being active and learning to move properly is a big positive and an advantage athletes have over most of us, stretching/yoga is huge but the majority of us neglect it

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yes, but not the WHL who's the weaker of the three Canadian leagues. Especially when you consider the gold division of the MHL, that's probably stronger than the WHL.

It just makes senses that a 37 team league of one country would be stronger than a league of a 22 teams from three provinces.
Wot?

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

I can't find it now, but Lindstrom has said he's working to change his stride and skating as they think that was part of the original issue that caused the problem in the first place.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I can't find it now, but Lindstrom has said he's working to change his stride and skating as they think that was part of the original issue that caused the problem in the first place.
Biomechanics is a personal hobby and interest of mine. That's good to hear on Lindstrom that they've evaluated the cause of the issue holistically.

Reactions: CBJx614

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
The real question you should be asking
"Is demidov > Mcdavid?"
Then the answer is obvious... yes...

I honestly think where they were both picked was the best for them, CBJ needed a 2nd line center and a player with grit and finishing, MTL needed a gamebreaker so it's a win win

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I am not trying to shit on Demidov or anything here but I honestly think that Demidov is massively over-hyped and unproven.

He has been playing at the junior level in Russia and although he has had a great season at that level, he has little to no experience at all playing high pressure tournaments or the KHL. He will definitely have that time to develop but you would think this is something that would have been an important part of his development by now.

The Russian junior level is extremely poor quality and is important for top prospects from Europe to have that pro experience in their draft year. It is obvious he has a lot of skill but a top 5 pick just seems like a massive reach.
He had 9 points in 7 preseason games in the KHL and was cut after Michkov despite being a year younger but ok

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
He had 9 points in 7 preseason games in the KHL and was cut after Michkov despite being a year younger but ok
Preseason meaningless games and called up for only 4 KHL games where he done very little.

I stand by my opinion. Happy to be proved wrong but Michkov a much better player and prospect.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Lindstrom..not sure about his IQ and vis.

19 assist in 32 games..in a Junior good team....not good at all
He is a shoot first type of prospect and no one was drafting Austin Matthews for his assists on draft day or Cole Eiserman this year.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Kucherov off the top of my head.

One player since the league's existence is not a good look. I think there's definitely a risk factor involved and may very well be the reason why the 3 teams ahead of Montreal avoided Demidov. Anyways, I think we will get a better picture of him when he plays in the KHL.

Reactions: HeadLiceHatty

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
He is a shoot first type of prospect and no one was drafting Austin Matthews for his assists on draft day or Cole Eiserman this year.
Kinda hard to have an assist per game when you're scoring a goal per game!

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Kinda hard to have an assist per game when you're scoring a goal per game!
They are completely different types of players and looking at one guys strength versus another guys not so strong area is hardly fair to draw any overall conclusions from.

Most people will acknowledge that Michov is the better playmaker.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
They are completely different types of players and looking at one guys strength versus another guys not so strong area is hardly fair to draw any overall conclusions from.

Most people will acknowledge that Michov is the better playmaker.
Especially when the kids are so young. We have absolutely no idea how well they will be able to not only translate their game to the NHL, but which guys will be able to adapt their game and succeed in the NHL.

Reactions: wetcoast

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Maybe I'm nitpicking, but how many players drafted right out of the MHL went on to be stars?

In the NHL:
Kucherov
Shesterkin
Romanov
Buchnevich
Chinakhov
Marchenko
Vasilevsky
Gavrikov
Fedotov

But it seems the recent trend in Russia is to use the MHL to its fullest. All these more notable prospects were drafted from there recently. So its not like Demidov’s situation is a rare occurrence anymore:
Yurov
Simashev
But
Kantserov
Gulyayev
Buchelnikov
Surin
Grebenkin
Khusnutdinov
Gritsyuk
Kovalenko

Last edited:

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
In the NHL:
Kucherov
Shesterkin
Romanov
Buchnevich
Chinakhov
Marchenko
Vasilevsky
Gavrikov
Fedotov

But it seems the recent trend in Russia is to use the MHL to its fullest. All these more notable prospects were drafted from there recently. So its not like Demidov’s situation is a rare occurrence anymore:
Yurov
Simashev
But
Kantserov
Gulyayev
Buchelnikov
Surin
Grebyonkin
Khusnutdinov
Gritsyuk
Kovalenko
Only two of these players are stars