Pre-Game Talk: It's official: Leafs vs Bruins [Game 1 on Wed]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050 24m
Bozak more or less fourth forward on line that includes Grabovski, Kulemin and Lupul. Kadri remains with Kessel and JVR.

Oy, we need Kessel separated from Lupul/Kadri.

Bergeron and Chara are going to shut down whichever line they're matched against 5 on 5, we need a second equally lethal line to carry us.

If JVR, Kadri and Kessel are together, then Lupul has to be the MVP of this series (with Reimer).

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
The more I think about it..

If we can beat the Bruins.. This team's confidence is going to be off the charts.

It's the one team in the East we've had the most problems with as of late, and I feel like if we can conquer them our boys are going to feel like they can conquer anyone..

If not.. see you next year :yo:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
These are the times you want Burke. He'd show middle finger to media and will have it his way.

Exactly the unprofessionalism sort of actions that new Ownership would want nothing to do with, and why they appointed Nonis as the voice of the franchise, to better reflect on the organization.

wetcardboard

Oct 29, 2011
Edmonton
Wow...there are TONS of side by side seats in the lower bowl

bruinsseats.png

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Thing is too, of we actually beat our nemesis, then something very special is possible. Imagine how confident we would be if we knock off Boston.

Hey, who are we kidding? Even if they beat Bs they will just get swept in 2nd round because they get all cocky about playing any other team...
Somehow Leafs play much-much better against good teams and then let down against mediocre ones...

EDDIE20*

Joe Haggerty. This guy has a job?

"This season they finished 17th in the NHL while allowing 2.7 goals per game and made some slight improvements.

But the playoffs tend to magnify teams' weaknesses when the pressure and high intensity is upon them. So a Leafs defensemen corps led by Dion Phaneuf and a very average goaltending tandem of James Reimer and Ben Scrivens might be exactly what Seguin and Co. need to get them going offensively. On the flip side, the Bruins offensive players could go into a deep freeze as they did against Washington and be in for a really short ride after limping to a 2-7-2 finish over the final nine games of the regular season."

http://www.csnne.com/blog/bruins-talk/seguin-ready-square-hometown-leafs

Haggerty knows nothing about the game. Ignore him.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Hey, who are we kidding? Even if they beat Bs they will just get swept in 2nd round because they get all kooky about playing any other team...
Somehow Leafs play much-much better against good teams and then let down against mediocre ones...

The Leafs are only going to play the top 4 teams in the East this playoffs unless a seed lower then us makes a run. So we should be okay.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY

"This season they finished 17th in the NHL while allowing 2.7 goals per game and made some slight improvements.

But the playoffs tend to magnify teams' weaknesses when the pressure and high intensity is upon them. So a Leafs defensemen corps led by Dion Phaneuf and a very average goaltending tandem of James Reimer and Ben Scrivens might be exactly what Seguin and Co. need to get them going offensively. On the flip side, the Bruins offensive players could go into a deep freeze as they did against Washington and be in for a really short ride after limping to a 2-7-2 finish over the final nine games of the regular season."

http://www.csnne.com/blog/bruins-talk/seguin-ready-square-hometown-leafs

Haggertys a tool.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Hey, who are we kidding? Even if they beat Bs they will just get swept in 2nd round because they get all cocky about playing any other team...

They will most likely play the Pens, anything but mediocre.

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
Seguin is a leaf killer. IF he outplays Phil this series all we're gonnna hear about all summer is the trade. Talk about beating a dead horse

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
Seguin is a leaf killer. IF he outplays Phil this series all we're gonnna hear about all summer is the trade. Talk about beating a dead horse

I'm pretty sick of hearing about the trade too, from a Bruins perspective even. Seguins irritated me this year though, he's been invisible ALOT, and I think he's totaled something like 8-10 hits this whole season, in comparison to Lucic's 130...:shakehead

GodTukka*

Haggerty is a moron, so much so he apparently can't do basic math anymore because 11 now equals 9 now XD

Very average is just wrong, i wouldn't say Reimer and Scrivens are the "be all end all" of goalie tandems but they're pretty solid by all accounts

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
Nonis succumbing to media, says matter to be dealt internally.

Dear Nonis,
I am pretty sure NHL contract doesn't include forcing players to give media interviews. So stop asking your players to do the same when they don't want to.

-PKI.

Yup he should be trying to protect Kessel...make him unavailable the entire series. All they are going to do is put the blame entirely on him and keep talking about Seguin.

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario
My analysis and comparison:

Goaltending: Even

- Rask and Reimer have put up very comparable numbers this season and have both stolen games for their teams. Rask has playoff experience, but not for three years, where he did alright, but not stellar. Reimer does not have playoff experience, but does handle pressure and agitation much better than Rask, as evidenced by this past season and previously.

Defense: Boston

- Boston's commitment to team defense is a thing to behold. They have the ability to close off other teams top lines and prevent the break out. They are mobile, strong and sound in their positioning. The downside is that they do not possess much offensive ability from the backend.

Defense A+, Offense B-

Toronto's defense is still a work in progress and has asked players to step into roles that they are unaccustomed to. The only positive about Toronto's defense over Boston's is that they actually have 4 defense pairings, and the bottom two are relatively interchangeable (Liles, O'byrne - Gardiner, Kostka). A defensive advantage goes to LO, and an offensive advantage goes to GK.

With LO - Defense B, Offense B....With GK - Defense B-, Offense B+

Forwards - Boston

Offensively, the teams are evenly matched, even though Toronto scored more goals than Boston during the regular season. The comparison I make is as follows:

Lucic - Van Reimsdyk, Kadri - Krejci, Kessel - Seguin
Marchand - Grabovski, Bergeron - Bozak, Horton - Lupul

Top 6 offensive forwards (goalscorers)= Boston-83 Toronto-88

Defensively is where Boston wins again, as evidenced by the collective +/- of the whole group as well as the goals against. The defensive forward group is much better than that of Toronto, as is the defensive ability of the top 6 forward group. In fact, Toronto only recently started putting together a defensive group that might be capable of a shut down role. (Kulemin, McClement, Komarov) After this group, there is a marked decrease in the defensive acumen of the remaining forward group. As a result, these players are often separated amongst the lines to help balance out the offensive and defensive responsibilities.

Special teams: Toronto

Penalty kill: Even

The penalty kills on either team were both within the top 5 in the league, due in Boston to their strong depth of defensive player accumen, and due in Toronto to the three players mentionned above and Bozak.

Powerplay: Toronto

This is the lone advantage that Toronto has over Boston. While both very strong penalty kills, Toronto's powerplay is exceedingly better than that of Boston's due to the offense from the backend. However, against a top notch penalty kill, the Toronto powerplay will be hard pressed to score, but have proven they can.

Overall advantage - Boston

The only way for Toronto to win the series is to make the series a special teams one. Both teams have players who can agitate and draw penalties, however Toronto has an advantage here. If Toronto can draw the Bruins into penalty laden contests, they will win in 6. If the Bruins can maintain discipline, they will negate Toronto's only advantage and pick apart the Leafs in 5.

Last edited:

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto

Haggerty is a moron, so much so he apparently can't do basic math anymore because 11 now equals 9 now XD

Very average is just wrong, i wouldn't say Reimer and Scrivens are the "be all end all" of goalie tandems but they're pretty solid by all accounts

Scrivens maybe but Reimer has been top notch this year.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I hate bringing up Burke vs. Nonis, but I do believe this is one aspect where Burke would have laid into the media and told them to leave Kessel alone.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
congrats on being back in the dance. Hope for a hard played series with your leafs against my Bruins.

I just hope both teams stay healthy and play well and whoever makes it to the next round does it with a full roster.

If you guys do get by the Bruins I will be pulling for you as I know what its like to wait a long time for a team to win a cup. Bruins got one in my lifetime finally. Anyway I say that now but I am sure we will hate eachother by the end of the series.

Anyway congrats and have fun Playoff hockey is here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad