Is Tyler Myers one of Benning's worst moves?

What position should the Tyler Myers signing be in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Jets fans generally are very happy for Myers and Canuck fans.
We would have loved to have kept him.
The realities of the cap are harsh and he will do well.
Great guy and will have times he will absolutely astound you with an end to end rush.
Enjoy and don’t judge until a season in.
It will be good .

digger18

Feb 23, 2009
Williams Lake B.C.
I actually like the signing. Another team was going to pay Myers 7 million or more. He obviously wanted to play in Vancouver. He brings playoff experience. He’s got great reach, is fairly durable, and has a real deceptive wrist shot from the point.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Great guy and will have times he will absolutely astound you with an end to end rush.
It will be good .

you have flames fans like Blankall who trashes Vancouver say it's a decent signing then its a decent signing. Most neutral fans were ok with the term and amount. only laffs fans is trashing the Canucks.

the Miller trade on the other hand my gawd.

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
Not even close to being his worst. I don't even like the signing much but Benning has so many other bone headed moves that Myers doesn't even register for me.

Benning just traded what could be a lottery 1st for JT Miller. A bottom 10 team who's only bright spots are players we picked in the first round just traded a first round pick for JT Miller.

How is Myers worse than that?

Reactions: sexydonut

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I don't like the signing because I think we should have kept Hutton and still gotten Benn, then put the $6M+$2M elsewhere in the lineup.

But no it's not his worst move right at the moment. But IMO it will turn out to be up there. I think Myers will produce offensively for 1 year, which will obscure his defensive deficiencies, then he'll be an albatross that we will regret when it is time to pay EP.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
Not even close to being his worst. I don't even like the signing much but Benning has so many other bone headed moves that Myers doesn't even register for me.

Benning just traded what could be a lottery 1st for JT Miller. A bottom 10 team who's only bright spots are players we picked in the first round just traded a first round pick for JT Miller.

How is Myers worse than that?
I mean, JT Miller is worth a 1st round pick. You're not going to get a legitimate top six forward in his prime for table scraps.

Question is though, should the Canucks be moving a 1st? It really depends on how much you value that 1st and what you expect it to become.

Personally, I expect there's a very low chance it amounts to a top-10 first, and more likely than not, we'll have given up a 1st in the 20's and a 3rd, which is more than fair value for JT Miller.

Reactions: Zippgunn

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Personally, I expect there's a very low chance it amounts to a top-10 first, and more likely than not, we'll have given up a 1st in the 20's and a 3rd, which is more than fair value for JT Miller.

People keep saying this "likely to be 20+ pick" stuff, and it's driving me nuts. I don't think folks realize what that would mean when they say it.

That would mean this sad-sack Canucks team, one who literally has been the worst team in the NHL the last 4 years, will suddenly become a top 10 team in the entire NHL. That's 100 point level, and would require 50% more ROWs than we have now.

That's this year's Jets, Pens, Predators, Leaf territory. We're going to be on that level in just 2 seasons? Because M&M are going to make that much difference?

There's almost zero chance we're giving up a pick that's 20+. It's going to take some luck just to "only" be a mid-teen pick.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
It will be good .

This post is terrifying.

It rings so many alarm bells in such few sentences, it's like the Hemingway of posts.

The realities of the cap are harsh? Highest paid player on the team along with Edler, slotted in for sheltering. With term. Check.

Great guy? Like Sbisa, that other D drafted in a first round that our GM was high on even after it became apparent it would be bad? Check.

will have times he will absolutely astound you with an end to end rush? Sbisa again? No need to rub it in our faces, we recall it all too well. Check.

Enjoy and don't judge until a season in? Pastor of Muppets couldn't have said it better himself (although F A N could). And we know, hindsight is 20/20. Check!

It will be good! God help us.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
People keep saying this "likely to be 20+ pick" stuff, and it's driving me nuts. I don't think folks realize what that would mean when they say it.

That would mean this sad-sack Canucks team, one who literally has been the worst team in the NHL the last 4 years, will suddenly become a top 10 team in the entire NHL. That's 100 point level, and would require 50% more ROWs than we have now.

That's this year's Jets, Pens, Predators, Leaf territory. We're going to be on that level in just 2 seasons? Because M&M are going to make that much difference?

There's almost zero chance we're giving up a pick that's 20+. It's going to take some luck just to "only" be a mid-teen pick.

Exactly. Teams with less than 30 ROW don't make the playoffs unless they add elite talent, or their core players production skyrockets. These are the teams in the last 3 years that made the playoffs with less than 30 ROW the previous year:

• 2017 Blue Jackets: First full year of Jones, added Werenski, Bobrovsky won the Vezina.
  • 2017 Oilers: First full year of Mcdavid who won the hart, Draisaitl had 77 points
  • 2017 Maple Leafs: First full season of Nylander, added Mathews, Marner and Andersen
  • 2018 Devils: Hall won the Hart, East wasn't deep that year( Panthers were the only competition, had won more OTL)
  • 2018 Avalanche: Mackinnon had 97 points( on pace for over 100), Rantanen had 84 points.

Reactions: daddyohsix

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
I am in the minority, but I think tyler Myers will thrive here. One thing about Myers, and I watched him in Kelowna, is that he has the ability to take over games. Early in his career in Buffalo he did that. I am not sure what happened when he went to Winnipeg, if it really was just a depth thing, but here in Vancouver he has the ability to be more.

And I can't but stress this. Myers, Hughes, Benn is a massive upgrade on MDZ, Hutton, Pouliot. When Edler and taniv go down, and they will, Myers, Benn and Hughes are capable of picking up that slack, and then Juolevi comes in and should cement himself.

There is not one person here that could argue against that. Did the Canucks pay a premium for Myers? Yes. that's Free Agency. This is the first July 1st where I was not upset with the moves Jim made.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I am in the minority, but I think tyler Myers will thrive here. One thing about Myers, and I watched him in Kelowna, is that he has the ability to take over games. Early in his career in Buffalo he did that. I am not sure what happened when he went to Winnipeg, if it really was just a depth thing, but here in Vancouver he has the ability to be more.

And I can't but stress this. Myers, Hughes, Benn is a massive upgrade on MDZ, Hutton, Pouliot. When Edler and taniv go down, and they will, Myers, Benn and Hughes are capable of picking up that slack, and then Juolevi comes in and should cement himself.

There is not one person here that could argue against that. Did the Canucks pay a premium for Myers? Yes. that's Free Agency. This is the first July 1st where I was not upset with the moves Jim made.

Cement is among the first things that comes to mind.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Tyler Myers absolutely could take over games in 2008-09 in the WHL. In 2019, I fail to see how this is relevant. He's a depth defender at this level.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The so-called hockey minds on the Networks have pretty consistently labeled the signing of Myers one of poorest value contacts of the July 1st period. But I think that's a bit harsh, and is based on the underlying analytics of his time in Winnipeg.

But when you have a blueline as bad as the Canucks, you have to take a swing at a veteran guy like Myers. And if you do that on July 1st, you're inevitably going to overpay.

And five years for Myers at $6m per is a lot more palatable than Eriksson at $6m for six years. If you're gong to overpay, better to do it for a d-man than a winger.

Reactions: theoriginalBCF

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
The so-called hockey minds on the Networks have pretty consistently labeled the signing of Myers one of poorest value contacts of the July 1st period. But I think that's a bit harsh, and is based on the underlying analytics of his time in Winnipeg.

But when you have a blueline as bad as the Canucks, you have to take a swing at a veteran guy like Myers. And if you do that on July 1st, you're inevitably going to overpay.

And five years for Myers at $6m per is a lot more palatable than Eriksson at $6m for six years. If you're gong to overpay, better to do it for a d-man than a winger.
Better to have a GM like Benning than a GM like Chiapet right?:sarcasm:

Last edited:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

Yep its likely a 10-20 pick.

One thing we have come to realize as Canuck fans is the probablility is high we squeek in this year then have a year full of injuries and hand a lottery pick to TB

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

Agree the deal is more palatable because the likelihood of Myers at 29 30 31 32 33 playing defense having better more effective seasons vs a winger with a concussion history at 31 32 33 34 35 36 and the extra year yuck.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Yep its likely a 10-20 pick.

One thing we have come to realize as Canuck fans is the probablility is high we squeek in this year then have a year full of injuries and hand a lottery pick to TB

If we make the playoffs this year, TB gets the pick. So squeaking in is probably better. The potential issue of lottery pick this year and THEN next year however is definitely a problem.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
If we make the playoffs this year, TB gets the pick. So squeaking in is probably better. The potential issue of lottery pick this year and THEN next year however is definitely a problem.
woops....messed that up.

Too many hits to the head. Yes exactly..... miss by a few this year and crash in 2020/21 is what i meant to say

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Agree the deal is more palatable because the likelihood of Myers at 29 30 31 32 33 playing defense having better more effective seasons vs a winger with a concussion history at 31 32 33 34 35 36 and the extra year yuck.

He has not played effective D since his 2nd year in the league tho... Why do you feel he will start to do so now?

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
This post is terrifying.

It rings so many alarm bells in such few sentences, it's like the Hemingway of posts.

The realities of the cap are harsh? Highest paid player on the team along with Edler, slotted in for sheltering. With term. Check.

Great guy? Like Sbisa, that other D drafted in a first round that our GM was high on even after it became apparent it would be bad? Check.

will have times he will absolutely astound you with an end to end rush? Sbisa again? No need to rub it in our faces, we recall it all too well. Check.

Enjoy and don't judge until a season in? Pastor of Muppets couldn't have said it better himself (although F A N could). And we know, hindsight is 20/20. Check!

Lol we couldn’t afford him ,Cheveldayoff knew that a year ago according to a recent interview.
Hey your cap realities are constructed differently than ours to be sure.
We had no choice but to let him walk.
Our top 4 D are:
Morrissey not bad, but still needs a long term contract.
Byfuglien 2 years left a stud when not injured...which he is a lot
Kulikov not a stud injured a lot too.
Chiarot Mr. Icing...if he doesn’t sign with us
See why we wanted Myers because the rest of our D is untested and in some cases just passable.
My wish for Myers to do well is genuine and I wish he could have stuck around....
I’m hoping Cheveldayoff has an ace up his sleeve or it’s going to be a long long season

Reactions: daddyohsix

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
This post is terrifying.

This was awesome admittedly

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
It will be good .

Thank you for your post.

some here that basically see Myers as a Gudbranson clone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014

Canucks don’t have to be a Top 10 team in two years for that pick to be justified. If the Canucks can make it to atleast Wildcard playoff status next season (which I think is more than a realistic target no matter how much the Benning haters want to see the Canucks fail), then the 1st round for Miller is more than justified.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad