Is Tyler Myers one of Benning's worst moves?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What position should the Tyler Myers signing be in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Canucks don’t have to be a Top 10 team in two years for that pick to be justified. If the Canucks can make it to atleast Wildcard playoff status next season (which I think is more than a realistic target no matter how much the Benning haters want to see the Canucks fail), then the 1st round for Miller is more than justified.

No its not.

Easy for you to say when you dont have to watch them suck ass on ice.

Reactions: dwarf

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
No its not.

Is this the part where I say, “yes it is!” And then we argue back and forth like 15 year olds?

Also - watching condensed games on you tube is still better than eschewing games altogether and reading spreadsheets. ;)

Last edited:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Is this the part where I say, “yes it is!” And then we argue back and forth like 15 year olds?

Also - watching condensed games on you tube is still better than eschewing games altogether and reading spreadsheets. ;)

I wstched +60 full Canucks games this season and another 60 of non Canuck games.

Sneaking in to the playoffs doesnt justify the trade.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
Have to wait until years 3-5 to get a decent conclusion.

But based on Myers' age, and his peak play, and the Canucks' glaring holes, it seems like an outsized, way-too-long contract for a depreciating asset.

Doesn't have to be Loui Eriksson or Milan Lucic bad, but it's still a lot of money for a player who most likely won't be around by the time the Canucks' young aces (Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes) fully mature.

Reactions: xtr3m

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Jimbo has made so many bad moves, it's almost too hard to rank them. You start your list, and everytime you write something down, another just as bad move -that you had forgotten about- pops back into your mind.

Of coarse this deal sucks. Myers is overpaid because he's tall, and that's the only reason. Can't defend, can't think the game well. Put up a few points while being propped up by a strong Jets team, but with zero direction and only 4 good players on the team (plus an AHL-level coach), he'll crash and Burn in Van.

He'll be better than Gudbranson, but not by much. 3rd pairing, waaaay overpaid, soft minute player. I currently have the Dim One's worst 5 moves like this:

#1 Drafting Juolevi (Anyone with 1/2 a brain wanted Tkachuk - instead he goes to a divisional rival while we pick a totally gutless bust. Waste of a year)
#2 J.T. Miller Trade (Lottery team giving up an unprotected 1st for a guy who was pushed down to a 3rd line role last year. Inexcusable! But Miller is at least ok, while Juolevi is nothing at all)
#3 Erik Gudbranson Trade (In) (What we gave up for him was also Inexcuseable! But at least it wasn't a top 5 overall pick. Not as bad as 1 and 2, but bad enough to get out the pitchforks)
#4 Ryan Kesler Trade Return (Kesler was still a star at the time. The team was getting old and crashing hard. How in the world DimJim could only add a late 1st to a much needed rebuild- is beyond me)
#5 Loui Eriksson Contract (Horrifyingly bad signing. Handcuffing the team currently. Would easily be my #1 bad move, except he did worse by completely throwing away high-end young assets)

There is a chance that Myers' contract might not come back to haunt us, but I highly doubt that. Still can't see it being Eriksson-level bad, but totally still in my version of DimJim's top 10 worst.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Jimbo has made so many bad moves, it's almost too hard to rank them. You start your list, and everytime you write something down, another just as bad move -that you had forgotten about- pops back into your mind.

Of coarse this deal sucks. Myers is overpaid because he's tall, and that's the only reason. Can't defend, can't think the game well. Put up a few points while being propped up by a strong Jets team, but with zero direction and only 4 good players on the team (plus an AHL-level coach), he'll crash and Burn in Van.

He'll be better than Gudbranson, but not by much. 3rd pairing, waaaay overpaid, soft minute player. I currently have the Dim One's worst 5 moves like this:

#1 Drafting Juolevi (Anyone with 1/2 a brain wanted Tkachuk - instead he goes to a divisional rival while we pick a totally gutless bust. Waste of a year)
#2 J.T. Miller Trade (Lottery team giving up an unprotected 1st for a guy who was pushed down to a 3rd line role last year. Inexcusable! But Miller is at least ok, while Juolevi is nothing at all)
#3 Erik Gudbranson Trade (In) (What we gave up for him was also Inexcuseable! But at least it wasn't a top 5 overall pick. Not as bad as 1 and 2, but bad enough to get out the pitchforks)
#4 Ryan Kesler Trade Return (Kesler was still a star at the time. The team was getting old and crashing hard. How in the world DimJim could only add a late 1st to a much needed rebuild- is beyond me)
#5 Loui Eriksson Contract (Horrifyingly bad signing. Handcuffing the team currently. Would easily be my #1 bad move, except he did worse by completely throwing away high-end young assets)

There is a chance that Myers' contract might not come back to haunt us, but I highly doubt that. Still can't see it being Eriksson-level bad, but totally still in my version of DimJim's top 10 worst.

I was thinking the very same about JB having so many bad moves that it’s hard to rank them. Can we agree that Myers is just the latest in a string of terrible moves?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I can definitely agree with that.
When do you think the insanity of the Benning regime ends? And when it dies end do we trust our owner to hire an experienced GM? Will an experienced GM even work for our owner? God, is there even an end to this? It’s so frustrating. This is a great hockey market. We should have good people leading the team, shouldn’t we?

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Benning's worst moves were trades. I'll take a crappy signing over a terrible trade where canucks are trading prospects and picks any day. Only a terrible GM trades first round picks during a rebuild.

If they didn't sign Myers, I suspect Benning in his desperation would have traded prospects and draft picks to acquire one

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
When do you think the insanity of the Benning regime ends? And when it dies end do we trust our owner to hire an experienced GM? Will an experienced GM even work for our owner? God, is there even an end to this? It’s so frustrating. This is a great hockey market. We should have good people leading the team, shouldn’t we?
I really thought he wasn't going to get extended. After he did, any final feelings resembling hope, with respect to this team, were completely washed away. Despite what the market may or may not deserve this could very easily go on for another 5-10 years - why not? The last 5 have effortlessly flown by with nothing but praise from ownership and mostly local media. And it seems like in the mainstream, everything is great right, so why can't this keep going for another ten years? Won't it be at least another 5+ before the option of them admitting their faults and making adjustments even becomes possible (best case scenario of course if it's even an option)?

Reactions: Luckylarry

NeoCanuck

Jay Beagle? In THIS economy?
Jan 17, 2005
North Vancouver B.C.

Alright, so I just need to preface this. I am in no way, shape or form a Jim Benning supporter. The man has one inherently obvious talent: amateur scouting/drafting. Everything else: pro scouting, negotiations, leverage, long-term vision, asset management, creativity in terms of bargaining/pressure in trade talks etc...he lacks with a Stone Cold Stunner to the entire McMahon family during Backlash 2000.

That being said. The idea that Tyler Myers will come in and only be a sliver of a better signing than the Erik Gudbranson acquisition is borderline Jimbo mentality itself. The Gudbranson era might have been one of the worst era's in the history of the Vancouver Canucks. When Luke Schenn can come into the lineup in order to replace you and makes one short, clean outlet pass from the defensive zone and make the entire Vancouver Canucks fanbase rank him higher than Gudbranson on the list of all-time Canucks should be the most telling point.

Let's set this straight: Tyler Myers has always been compared to his first year in the league. People just assumed that here comes this 6'8 behemoth that can skate, shoot the puck, make plays and lay hits on players in order to Shang Tsung their souls in the neutral zone. He's never reached that peak and at this point of his career, will never reach that. He is a 2nd pairing D-Man with talented offensive skills and reach for someone his size who can be extremely prone to making gasping mistakes in the D-Zone that makes you question if his mental controller turned off while you scream at your Mom for some batteries and complain about Ice Tilt.

Is he overpaid? Oh baby he is.
Is he signed to too much term? By about a year.
Is he only a sliver ahead of Erik Gudbranson? Put the meth down and grab a snack pack. Probably Vanilla.

Listen guys, I'm terrified that this is going to be another Eriksson contract. I understand that you as a fan of this "That 80's Show" equivalent of a professional sports franchise would be as well. I mean I know basic offensive stats by themselves mean either nothing or everything depending on the argument, but when Tyler Myers has outscored Erik Gudbranson more in the last two seasons than Guddy has his entire career, maybe just take a little, tiny breath that you he might make this team like, %5 better than it was last year. Yes, the term sucks and he's signed for about a million more than I'd prefer. But guys I'm so depressed. I'm like a single Mom working at Winners trying to make ends meet for all you boys.

EVERYTHING IS GONNA BE OKAY JUST EAT YOUR STUFFED CRUST HOT N' READY'S.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
am I crazy here???

whois with me,

who would you rather have

Gustav Nyquist keep a 3rd and 1st rounder 5.5 million dollar he plays until he's 33

or

Jt Miller lose out on a 3rd rounder and 1st rouner 5.2 million dollar cap hit he plays until 30.

that's his worse move.

should have just signed Nyquist and keep the 3rd and 1st rounder. wtf benning.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Should the Tyler Myers signing slot in ahead of any of these 5 terrible moves?

#1 Erik Gudbranson Trade (In) (35.2%)
#2 Loui Eriksson Contract (41.6%)
#3 Drafting Juolevi (41.3%)
#4 Ryan Kesler Trade Return (19.4%)
#5 Lawrence Gilman Firing (Tiebreaker)

All things being equal the Eriksson signing is the worst but I think the timing and term and desperation for Myers does top it.

The biggest problem was the over payment for Miller and they basically had to sign Myers after that.

forget

Jul 6, 2019
The Miller trade/Myers signing was a 1-2 punch in the gut after being pretty pleased with the draft and all things considered, pretty happy with the Edler deal. They’re trying to desperately pry their contention window open and it’s frustrating. Yes, he is an upgrade on our D from last year, but for a team that was at times icing half a D core of AHLers that’s not really an accomplishment. I don’t think the short term gain Myers brings is close to worth what it will do for our long term cap. Also, we have a decade of data on Myers when will it be enough? He’s a 29 year old defensemen. He is what he is and that’s a 4/5 D.

I still think the Louie signing is his worst because it hurt us right off the bat and will continue to hurt us until it’s over (whether that’s a trade or whatever else), but he definitely made a conceded effort to top that.

PS saw a tweet today and was reminded how bad that 2016 offseason actually was.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
The Miller trade/Myers signing was a 1-2 punch in the gut after being pretty pleased with the draft and all things considered, pretty happy with the Edler deal. They’re trying to desperately pry their contention window open and it’s frustrating. Yes, he is an upgrade on our D from last year, but for a team that was at times icing half a D core of AHLers that’s not really an accomplishment. I don’t think the short term gain Myers brings is close to worth what it will do for our long term cap. Also, we have a decade of data on Myers when will it be enough? He’s a 29 year old defensemen. He is what he is and that’s a 4/5 D.

I still think the Louie signing is his worst because it hurt us right off the bat and will continue to hurt us until it’s over (whether that’s a trade or whatever else), but he definitely made a conceded effort to top that.

PS saw a tweet today and was reminded how bad that 2016 offseason actually was.

I agree completely.

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
Dont worry about oscar Myers! Just needs the mountains on the coast to get enough elevation to let that big dumb condor to soooaaaaarr!!!!

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
am I crazy here???

whois with me,

Gustav Nyquist keep a 3rd and 1st rounder 5.5 million dollar he plays until he's 33

or

Jt Miller lose out on a 3rd rounder and 1st rouner 5.2 million dollar cap hit he plays until 30.

that's his worse move.

Is there a 3rd option?

But with Benning it's too late, we have to hope continued success the next 2 seasons for this not to blow up and set us back even further than we are right now.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I'll take a wait and see on Myers. The offensive stats are pretty good and it seems like he's a solid player in transition that can help the forwards. It's an element that was broadly lacking prior to Hughes (outside of Edler, and to a much lesser extent Hutton).

Hopefully they manage his minutes, however, because the defensive stats don't paint a pretty picture.

TLDR: I think Myers can be a valuable piece pending correct deployment. If he's adding 35-40 points and playing solid defensive minutes in favorable deployment (i.e. sheltered) I will be happy with the first 2-3 years of the deal probably.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
am I crazy here???

whois with me,

or

that's his worse move.

Heard Nyquist wanted to comers too, so he could play with Petey.
If using our first like that, why not get Barrie?
Nyquist Barrie or Miller Myers?

xtr3m

Jan 28, 2009
Vancouver
All things being equal the Eriksson signing is the worst but I think the timing and term and desperation for Myers does top it.

The biggest problem was the over payment for Miller and they basically had to sign Myers after that.

• "It's the Sedins last hurrah, they need a linemate no matter the cost" -> signs Eriksson
  • "The breakout of Pettersson changed everything, we need t0p six talent now" -> trades f0r Miller

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
  • "It's the Sedins last hurrah, they need a linemate no matter the cost" -> signs Eriksson
  • "The breakout of Pettersson changed everything, we need t0p six talent now" -> trades f0r Miller

Just poor judgment of where the Canucks are at both times and a real lack of an overall realistic plan.

Reactions: xtr3m

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad