Is this the year either of Buffalo, Detroit or Ottawa break through?

Is this the year one of Ottawa, Detroit or Buffalo finally break through?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
I'll say yes. Probably only one and I'm not sure which one, but:

-Detroit is better than last season, and while they probably weren't as good as their record indicated, they've been slow cooking their prospects for a while, the time for someone (anyone) to step up is probably next season.
-Ottawa's biggest issue by far last season was goaltending and they addressed that, they should be improved. The Chychrun trade doesn't look great, but Jensen (despite potentially starting to decline) was an analytics darling and the type of player they needed.
-I have no idea what the plan in Buffalo is, but they have enough good, young winger prospects that they may surprise.
I disagree the Sens biggest issue has been a lack of a system, the roster needs stability, I just don't think Travis Green is the guy to bring that to the Sens, they need a guy like John Tortorella for a season or 2 to come in and right the ship, maybe even a guy like Sullivan from the pens but Green is not the right choice for the coach and its just going to be a waste of the Ullmark trade by bringing in shitty coach after shitty coach.
In the division, Florida may be slightly worse, but likely a very safe playoff team. Toronto probably improved for at least next season. There's a lot of risk in Tampa's D-core and they're not even remotely as deep as they once were at forward. Boston is gambling that Zadorov can consistently play higher in the lineup and Lindholm's decline over the past couple of seasons was environment. Boston's also a really old team which always presents risks. I don't think the Metro is stronger than it was last season either, I could see 5 teams make it from the Atlantic.

I don't think any team's offseason was good or bad enough to predict major changes in the Atlantic, but effects of aging and development are hard to account for and can have a pretty significant impact.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
J-Fresh’s model has the Sens at 94 points, Wings at 88 points, and Sabres at 82 points. The Habs are at 69 points for whoever thought they would jump the Sens :laugh:

In the model, the Sens make the playoffs at #8 seed. I don’t think people realized how bad the Sens goaltending was last season. I also don’t think people realize how bad Chychrun is. Jensen is an improvement for next season.
They liked Sens last year yet they faltered again.....the fact that a garbage team like the Capitals who were -37 on the season in GD over all these teams is terrible considering they had Strome as their top center.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
J-Fresh’s model has the Sens at 94 points, Wings at 88 points, and Sabres at 82 points. The Habs are at 69 points for whoever thought they would jump the Sens :laugh:

In the model, the Sens make the playoffs at #8 seed. I don’t think people realized how bad the Sens goaltending was last season. I also don’t think people realize how bad Chychrun is. Jensen is an improvement for next season.

I think the Sens got better too with Ullmark and Perron, I really like the Perron signing I wanted him here.

That said there is no shot they go from 78 to 94 points, for that to happen one of the big 4 in the Atlantic would have to fall out and I don't think that's happening next season.

I could see them at 86-88 points as long as they are healthy.

I think they got better, I don't think It's quite enough though

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I think the Sens got better too with Ullmark and Perron, I really like the Perron signing I wanted him here.

That said there is no shot they go from 78 to 94 points, for that to happen one of the big 4 in the Atlantic would have to fall out and I don't think that's happening next season.

I could see them at 86-88 points as long as they are healthy.

I think they got better, I don't think It's quite enough though
I think if you were to tally up the points lost last year due to absolutely horrendous goaltending, that would easily account for 16 points. That's not taking into account a fairly young core having another year under their belt and starting the season with Pinto signed. People discount the key injuries/important players missing because the goaltending overshadowed everything.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Most of those standing models were off by an average of 9-10 points last season.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I think Tampa and Boston are a little rocky they still have their main guys but they are losing that elite depth well Tampa at least and Boston won't be running two #1 goalies this year
You're ignoring what Essensa does with goalies in Boston. Boston added a top 2C and a good LD for McAvoy. Boston might dip 6 points but they are in.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Last year the Sens had:
-the worst goaltending in the league
-Stutzle playing most the of the year injured
-Norris, Pinto and Chabot missing significant time.

With Ullmark+(hopefully) better health, I think they make the playoffs.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Last year the Sens had:
-the worst goaltending in the league
-Stutzle playing most the of the year injured
-Norris, Pinto and Chabot missing significant time.

With Ullmark+(hopefully) better health, I think they make the playoffs.
Things go bad for every team in the league. It wasn't unique to the Sens. Not saying the Sens won't make the playoffs but I just see this a lot from fans of teams that don't make the playoffs. Injuries are a thing on basically every team in the league. The good ones still find a way in. Add to that...you won't be healthy this year either so if the Sens do make it....it will have to be playing through injured players.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Things go bad for every team in the league. It wasn't unique to the Sens. Not saying the Sens won't make the playoffs but I just see this a lot from fans of teams that don't make the playoffs. Injuries are a thing on basically every team in the league. The good ones still find a way in. Add to that...you won't be healthy this year either so if the Sens do make it....it will have to be playing through injured players.

How many guys get suspended half a season for gambling?

The answer is one.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
How many guys get suspended half a season for gambling?

The answer is one.
Don't be that dumb I guess? idk lol I just think it's a bit silly to list off all the bad things that happened as to why you missed the playoffs by *check notes* 13 points. Like a lot of other teams didn't also deal with a bunch of bad luck, yet still did better and that things won't in some way go to shit again this year. Multiple people are going to miss time....you have to be good enough to still be a good team missing people.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Don't be that dumb I guess? idk lol I just think it's a bit silly to list off all the bad things that happened as to why you missed the playoffs by *check notes* 13 points. Like a lot of other teams didn't also deal with a bunch of bad luck, yet still did better and that things won't in some way go to shit again this year. Multiple people are going to miss time....you have to be good enough to still be a good team missing people.

Most teams aren’t missing their #2 and #3Cs for the majority of the season while their #1C is playing hurt.

I know everyone has adversity and injuries, but it was a circus last year and anyone who is actually being objective understands that.

It certainly doesn’t mean that I think everything will go right this season or even better than this past year. Stranger things have happened.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
tbf the new owners took over a week before camp

GM fired in a month for the NMC thing
First round pick forfeited
New GM hired
Coach fired 2 - 21/2 months in

There was a lot of other noise in the background

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Like I said in another thread yesterday, or at least I think it was another thread. Maybe it was this one lol.

Had Ottawa hired a head coach I've never heard of, I would have been much more intrigued by what they can do after adding Ullmark.

But they went and hired Travis Green before even making that move, who we've all heard of and for all the wrong reasons. I'm surprised Canucks fans didn't burn down Rogers Arena after only 1.5 years of him. I'm not sure how they made it that many years.

I was all for keeping Ruff with the Devils for the remainder of the year because I knew we were getting Travis Green if Ruff were fired. And that's exactly who we got.

And I think I predicted our record under him would be 7-13-1. We wound up winning one more game than my prediction and going 8-12-1 under him. Peep his last almost 50 games as a head coach starting with the Canucks in the 21-22 season. I think it's 16-29-3. One of the worst head coaches the league has seen in the last decade. Maybe a few interims were worse, but this guy is going on his second non-interim head coaching stint in the league.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Ottawa improved their goaltending. Will be interesting to see how Green runs the team as yes the goalies sucked for Ottawa, but the team defensive play sucked major ass, too.

Detroit - feels like they're the same as they were last year. If Lucas Raymond can take another step and/or Kasper comes in and is a step ahead where he should be at this point they might

Buffalo - they've made some weird trades this off season, but made it with the intention of having a harder to play against bottom 6, better on draws. Between the 3 they probably have the best forward group and d group. They should be the best bet for one of these 3 teams to make it.

Boston
Tampa
Toronto
Florida

They should make it.

Rangers
Hurricanes
3rd team from the metro.

If these 3 teams were swapped with 3 teams from the metro there's a good chance all 3 could make it because the metro sucks thar much now.

That said, the way I see it there's 1 spot for those 3 and it's wide open.

TL:DR one of those 3 should make it this year.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Like I said in another thread yesterday, or at least I think it was another thread. Maybe it was this one lol.

Had Ottawa hired a head coach I've never heard of, I would have been much more intrigued by what they can do after adding Ullmark.

But they went and hired Travis Green before even making that move, who we've all heard of and for all the wrong reasons. I'm surprised Canucks fans didn't burn down Rogers Arena after only 1.5 years of him. I'm not sure how they made it that many years.

I was all for keeping Ruff with the Devils for the remainder of the year because I knew we were getting Travis Green if Ruff were fired. And that's exactly who we got.

And I think I predicted our record under him would be 7-13-1. We wound up winning one more game than my prediction and going 8-12-1 under him. Peep his last almost 50 games as a head coach starting with the Canucks in the 21-22 season. I think it's 16-29-3. One of the worst head coaches the league has seen in the last decade. Maybe a few interims were worse, but this guy is going on his second non-interim head coaching stint in the league.

A lot of Ottawa fans were understandably concerned given the lack of endorsement from Canucks and Devils fans.

Not much we can do now.

Ardent fans have been following his press conferences and statements but ultimately whether he says all the right things or not, it’s all irrelevant in the face of Ottawa’s actual level of play once the season starts.

Reactions: Bleedred

Ratbath

Jul 3, 2019
Thought Detroit was right on the verge last year but I’m actually less confident now. The other two may never be any good for a long time.

• Haha
Reactions: Hockey Know it all

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
What specifically are you referring to for Ottawa?

I’d argue that a lot went wrong with Ottawa too, from Norris re-injuring himself to Pinto getting himself suspended for half the year. Ottawa’s goalies allowed a goal on the first two shots of the game 20 times over the balance of the season.

Ottawa’s record with all three of their top 3 centres playing was respectable and playoff contending.

I think the new brain trust had the following to address:

-better goaltending (Ottawa was worst or near worst in the league)
-right-shot defenceman (Jensen)
-more veterans (Perron, Jensen, Amadio)

I’d argue that they didn’t make the most of the Chychrun asset but it did address a need for a right-shooting d-man given how few were available and affordable on the open market.

Just curious what you think they should have been doing.

They certainly haven’t made any flashy moves but Dorion proved that they don’t necessarily work anyway.

It’s a competitive conference and I won’t even predict that they will improve substantially but I’m not sure what you would have done differently.
Ullmark is a big boost for Ottawa, should help them make some improvements this year.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad