Is this the origin of the waffles in the Olli Jokinen/turkey girl memes?

Deadly Dogma

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I don’t know….but one of the best posters on the Leafs‘ board has the username Throw More Waffles.
I didn't even know this happened, I saw the memes, especially the gif with Jokinen on the bench and the floating waffle. It was funny but I didn't get the context of the waffle.
I need an HF veteran who was a part of that thread to give context lol
Its like the chicken and the egg debate, did waffle gate happen because of HF, or did HF take waffle gate and do its thing?

Last edited:

Deadly Dogma

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
The waffle tossing happened after Turkey girl, as Olli was still with FLA when the whole thing came into existence.
ahh kk, now I see how it developed.
I don't know how I never knew about wafflegate.
It's funny that I am still finding layers to an all time great

No

This video is from '09

Waffle Tossing happened in late 2010

so the waffles were an addition in 2010?

Reactions: Rich Nixon

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
ahh kk, now I see how it developed.
I don't know how I never knew about wafflegate.
It's funny that I am still finding layers to an all time great

so the waffles were an addition in 2010?
Why the fan(s) tossed waffles is beyond me, but it was a form of civil (corporate?) disobedience in reaction to the Leafs hitting a new, pathetic low. How Olli got wrapped up into the phenomenon is beyond me, because he was playing for CGY at the time.

I think it was because he was a weird dude who looked half-baked nearly all the time, plus he was already internet (HFboards) famous for Turkey girl, and that eccentric Finnish dance web player thing where you could move him to the beat of the music.

BTW, if anyone has a link to an living page with that web player of Olli dancing, please share it. I think it got nuked from the internet a long-time ago.

Reactions: DaveG

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
I don’t know….but one of the best posters, IMO, on the Leafs‘ board has the username Throw More Waffles.
I remember them! Ha

No

This video is from '09

Waffle Tossing happened in late 2010

At which frame did you see waffles? No debate that Oli and Turkey girl existed. The debate is if the waffle addition came after the Toronto event. I recall the threads in the old forum where it progressed, so I'd be interested to see earlier evidence of actual waffles in connection to this meme.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Deadly Dogma

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Why the fan(s) tossed waffles is beyond me, but it was a form of civil (corporate?) disobedience in reaction to the Leafs hitting a new, pathetic low. How Olli got wrapped up into the phenomenon is beyond me, because he was playing for CGY at the time.

I think it was because he was a weird dude who looked half-baked nearly all the time, plus he was already internet (HFboards) famous for Turkey girl, and that eccentric Finnish dance web player thing where you could move him to the beat of the music.

BTW, if anyone has a link to an living page with that web player of Olli dancing, please share it. I think it got nuked from the internet a long-time ago.
Plus it looks like this was right around the time we traded for Kessel and were in dire need of a #1c and lost #2 overall.
I can see the fan anger.

Reactions: RobBrown4PM

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
02b.gif

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Those were good times. That was one thread I remember really well, another was NHL'ers as song titles and someone posted "Brooks Laich We Made It" and I laughed really hard at that.

Reactions: Shark Finn

Deadly Dogma

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Those were good times. That was one thread I remember really well, another was NHL'ers as song titles and someone posted "Brooks Laich We Made It" and I laughed really hard at that.

Those Playoff Photoshop threads were absolute gold. Now the equivalents seem to only have stupid memes.

Oh and THIS IS OUT HOUSE!
Some of the things that stuck with me is;
the tumbling Kessler's
ESPN knows hockey(thread)
What ethnicity is John Tavares(thread)
The Nutcracker with Marchand
The 1 where they had an old lady scoring
and as a Leaf fan a cpl that stick out are the ROR to the Leafs threads when he played for the Avs
The Luongo to Leafs thread was 1 I spent way way too much time in lol

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Some of the things that stuck with me is;
the tumbling Kessler's
ESPN knows hockey(thread)
What ethnicity is John Tavares(thread)
The Nutcracker with Marchand
The 1 where they had an old lady scoring
and as a Leaf fan a cpl that stick out are the ROR to the Leafs threads when he played for the Avs
The Luongo to Leafs thread was 1 I spent way way too much time in lol

I completely forgot about John Tavares ethnicity thread! That was weird

Reactions: shello

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad