Is there a penalty for skipping the handshake line

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
Did someone do it? I don't know of any rule, but I certainly wouldn't want to be the player to do it. The backlash would be unbearable. You'd never hear the end of it.
No it just came into my head about forced sportsmanship vs what happens in other sports where it doesn't feel as performative or coerced

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
No it just came into my head about forced sportsmanship vs what happens in other sports where it doesn't feel as performative or coerced
Forcing people to have good sportsmanship is part of good sportsmanship. It's being willing to swallow your pride, and shake the hands of the people who beat you. It would be pathetic if your teammates let you off the hook for being such a baby that you skip the handshake line. I honestly couldn't fathom more embarrassing behavior.

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
Does it feel "coerced" though? Seems like most if not all players are happy to do it and wish congrats to the winners.
I mean that's fine and a series where the other team or a player on the other team plays with no sportsmanship doesn't deserve it back be it intent to injure or being the biggest jackass in the world.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Its basically an unwritten rule.

No player has skipped doing it because they would be universally hated by the rest of the league.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
There's enough league backlash that a player wouldn't do this.

Gm's and Players wouldn't want to sign or play with guys like this
There are certainly at least a handful of players I could easily imagine doing this.

I mean, if Tony DeAngelo threw a tantrum and went straight to the locker room, would any of you really be surprised?

Maliks PlusMinus

May 28, 2015
Glasgow, Scotland
No you just get the label of a disrespectful sore loser put on you which imo is worse than any penalty.
fatso.jpg

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I think there's been a small handful of players that have skipped shaking hands with 1-2 players specifically, but never the line as a whole.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Most of these guys are peers and many are friends having played together or trained together at some point or the other.

I’m sure most understand it’s a game at the end of the day and the handshake line is just good wishes following a series.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Most of these guys are peers and many are friends having played together or trained together at some point or the other.

I’m sure most understand it’s a game at the end of the day and the handshake line is just good wishes following a series.

These days, the world is smaller and alot of these guys know each other.

But back in the day, I think there were more guys shaking hands for the sake of shaking hands. Hrudey is on record of saying how he hated the handshake and I think he called it phony.

Reactions: Rob and PuckG

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Isiah Thomas famously refused to shake hands and walked off the floor early when the Bulls finally got over the hump and swept the Pistons in 1991. Notably, Michael Jordan shook hands every time the Bulls had lost to the Pistons in each of the prior three years. That poor act of sportsmanship dogged Thomas for the rest of his career and really still does today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad