Is the tandem of Bernier/Reimer the best in the League?

wulfio*

These "we're good right?" threads make me laugh. I feel like we're the most insecure fan base in the history of sports, always needing the herd to agree with baseless statements so we feel better about ourselves.

Reimer, is a great goalie positionally. Not particularly athletic, and has a brutal glove hand. Overall, he's just not that good up high. If our D plays tight and keeps the chances down, and shots to the perimeter, Reimer is most likely getting a shutout. Bernier, is brought in on the hope that he can out play Reimer, because Reimers big weaknesses are well known throughout the league, and fairly easy to exploit on defensive breakdowns by the more offensively talented players in the league.

We have no idea what we have with Reimer/Bernier. But this move wasn't made to make a tandem. It was made in the hopes that getting Bernier out from Quicks shadow will allow him to become the goalie his pedigree denotes. So that he may supplant Reimer.

Reimer is real good, and he can get peppered and have nice stats because of his sound positioning. But when everything just under the bar is going in, it's pretty frustrating. And these guys are shooting 100s if not 1000s of pucks a day. If you give an NHL player enough space, he's going bar down from any angle. Bernier doesn't have that problem. He won't go down on every shot. He'll make a guy look stupid by not going down and taking it in the chest. I really hope this move works out because as much as I like Reimer. I don't see him as a starting goalie winning the cup.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Reimer is real good, and he can get peppered and have nice stats because of his sound positioning. But when everything just under the bar is going in, it's pretty frustrating. And these guys are shooting 100s if not 1000s of pucks a day. If you give an NHL player enough space, he's going bar down from any angle. Bernier doesn't have that problem. He won't go down on every shot. He'll make a guy look stupid by not going down and taking it in the chest. I really hope this move works out because as much as I like Reimer. I don't see him as a starting goalie winning the cup.

Yes, Crawford had the same problem in the playoffs and spoke about it.

Seems shooters like to score there.

I thought Crawford was the reason the Hawks won game 6, even with his poor glove.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Is the tandem of Bernier/Reimer the best in the League?

No, not even close. Although it is possible they can become as much in a couple years. By that time we'll have to part with one of them though.

The potential is there but right now it's just that, potential.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
The following teams are who I'd classify as having a two goalie (1A/1B type situation obviosuly to varying degrees):

-Tampa Bay (even less proven then us)

-Philly (Comparable. Mason is still very young and has all the tools. He actually is the guy beat out Bernier for the 08 world junior starter job)

-New Jersey (definitely better)

-Anahiem (better)

-St. Louis (Ahead just because Hitch plays such an amazing defensive system which needs to be factored in)

-Chicago (ahead and its borderline whether they even qualify for this discussion because Crawford looks to be the workhorse goalie they'll be using going forward)

-Washington (Comparable with just as much potential)

-Florida (Behind us. Markstrom needs more development time)

We might be in the category of having a top tandem situation but there is something to be said for having a workhorse goalie like a Lundqvist/Price/Ward/Rask that can almost single handedly get their team in the playoffs if they have a great season. I don't see Bernier/Reimer having that elite level ability or at least they haven't done it yet.

cujoflutie

Between teams that split goalie starts 40-60 or somewhere around that I would still take the following ahead of our tandem..

Ray Emery/ Corey Crawford
Brian Elliot/ Jaroslav Halak
and this season Martin Brodeur/ Corey Schneider will be in that 40-60 split ballpark.

I'm a huge Bernier fan though and think we definitely have a solid tandem.
Rask and Svedberg will turn some heads too, he's another solid goalie as well, any dup with Rask can't go wrong.

While I would take Emery/Crawford over Reims/JB, that no longer qualifies as a tandem since Emery went to Philly.

How do you determine best tandem? Is it the team with the best backup or the team with the best overall goaltending?
If it's best #2 guy; Anaheim, Buffalo, New Jersey, Ottawa, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, and maybe Washington are equal or better than Toronto in that area (and all have a better #1).

And that's not even including Boston, Columbus, Los Angeles, New York, and San Jose where despite having a weaker backup than Toronto, I'd trade our pair for their pair without a second thought.

wulfio*

Yes, Crawford had the same problem in the playoffs and spoke about it.

Seems shooters like to score there.

I thought Crawford was the reason the Hawks won game 6, even with his poor glove.

um, Crawfords weakness was leaving too much space on the posts on his lateral movements. He actually makes glove saves.

Reimers glove is BAAAAAAAAAAD. Like non existent. It doesn't move. It just stays in the same spot in relation to his body, the only thing that makes it go up and down is whether or not he goes in to his butterfly. Same with his blocker.

Reimer is the definition of a blocking goalie. He plays the angles, and percentages. Which results in him usually stopping the puck, but looking really bad when it goes in. Crawford is nothing like him, and is more of a reactionary goalie.

PhiladelphiaKessel

DontCrossthe****Line
Aug 9, 2010
Not a good situation if there splitting the games evenly. I know they will both be given a chance but it will show neither one could take the ball and run with it. And I would much rather have a proven #1 / backup goalie then two potential starting goalies. I just hope one of them is up to the task

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
No, they are not the best tandem in the league. They both have considerable potential but the sample size for both goaltenders is still limited at best. It's too soon to draw any conclusions.

scooter87

Mar 22, 2013
Did you expect them to be this good, this early? Few did.

They were known quantities coming into the season. If you didn't expect them to be this good or close to it I'd be questioning whether you actually watch hockey.

Mimico

Good Ol' Mimico Boy
Aug 25, 2013
Tarana, Ontario
They were known quantities coming into the season. If you didn't expect them to be this good or close to it I'd be questioning whether you actually watch hockey.

Bernier and Reimer were held in high regard heading into this season but no one was expecting .935 hockey from both of them. Most people anticipated save percentages in the ball park of .915-.920 , much lower than what

they've been able to do thus far. It is also unlikely that they sustain a ~.935 sv%, most likely dipping to around the .920-.925 mark, which slightly exceeds expectations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad