Is the tandem of Bernier/Reimer the best in the League?

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Had to check if I was in national hockey league forum or leafs forum

Edit: Saw Ep's post now

Egoclapper

Dec 21, 2010
Does this mean the Kings had the best tandem in the NHL last year?
Quick >>>>>>>>>> Reimer
Bernier = Bernier
Wasn't really a tandem, Quick made sure of that. Quick is the league's TOP goalie. Bernier was the best backup and will take the starting job from Reimer, just like Reimer took it away from Scrivens last season.

No guarantees but I think the top 3 goalies in the league next season could very well be Quick and Rask then Bernier.

Offspring

Feb 13, 2010
Hopefully, one day.

But this tandem isn't even the best in the division, Anderson and Lehner I think is a better tandom (thus far) then Reimer / Bernier.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Assuming they split their games, is this the best tandem in the league? I'm referring to teams where the goalies are splitting the games, rather than a Lundquist/Biron, in which 1 goalie has the majority of the starts.

I think the Reimer/Bernier tandem is incredibly strong and they will push each other to be better. I don't think the Schnieder/Brodeur tandem will be as good because Brodeur is old and at this point both Bernier and Reimer are better than him. They are as good (or very close) to schnieder...Having 2 of them will be lethal.

Discuss...

Lets wait for Bernier to play some Leafs games before we even anoint him a #1. He has not played in the high shot Carlyle environment. We also need to see if Reimer can manage two strong years back to back. So no, absolutely no reason to believe this is the best, or even a top tandem. Repost at the 40 game mark.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
the reimer/scrivens tandem was one of the best in the league last year.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Schneider/Brodeur is the best tandem. Leafs are probably top 10 though

Agreed with this.

Best veteran goalie: brodeur isnt what he used to be but is still very capable of great nights.

Schneider is also a top-end pretty much elite goalie.

I'd say reimer/bernier is top 5 though in terms of tandems, neither are top 5 elite goalies, but both have potential to be great, Bernier has a slightly higher ceiling though.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
It's possible. Bernier .922 through 12 GP and Reimer .924 through 33GP is nothing to sniff apathetically at.

Reimer is a bonafide #1 -- probably around 10, 12th best in the league -- but he has been unable to play anywhere near a full season. 37GP, 34GP and 33GP respectively in the past 3 seasons.

I'm just glad that goaltending is simply not a problem point for the Leafs any longer.

My favourite metric for goaltender performance is their SO/GP ratio, and Reimer is actually up with the best goalies in the league in this statistic.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
It's possible. Bernier .922 through 12 GP and Reimer .924 through 33GP is nothing to sniff apathetically at.

Reimer is a bonafide #1 -- probably around 10, 12th best in the league -- but he has been unable to play anywhere near a full season. 37GP, 34GP and 33GP respectively in the past 3 seasons.

I'm just glad that goaltending is simply not a problem point for the Leafs any longer.

My favourite metric for goaltender performance is their SO/GP ratio, and Reimer is actually up with the best goalies in the league in this statistic.

Reimer goes on amazing stretches and then usually falters for a few games.

Reimer at his best can definitely steal us some games, which we badly need for the playoffs.

Bernier too has that capability.

Great tandem and I'm sure one will win the starters job by about half-way through.

Renegade

Jun 23, 2013
Pickering, ON
They are both starting caliber goaltenders. Bernier IMO is the better player but I want Reimer to have a career in Toronto. Possibly the best YOUNG tandem in the NHL.

CraigAdamsnumber1fan*

no. 2 questionable goalies. they're both terrible.

My Sweet Shadow

Sep 5, 2008
Sioux Lookout, ON
Reimer's shown he''s a solid starter, but Bernier's been limited to 14, 16, and 25 games in the last three seasons on one of the best defensive teams in the league. So it remains to be seen how his numbers fair over 40 games on a defensively suspect team.

We really should at least wait until the season gets under way before we start throwing around the "best-in-the-league" claims.

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
Should've deleted it all together.

Originally, this thread was on the main boards.

Thank god it was moved here quickly before the entire nhl fanbase seen it :sarcasm:

As for the topic,
Can't wait for both these goalies to light it up and prove there the top tandem in the league :yo: But until then lets let them prove it.

scooter87

Mar 22, 2013
Without having ever seen them play any period of a season together I can safely say that yes they are the greatest goaltending tandem playing right now and possibly the greatest to have ever played the game.

Jesus christ...

jcarbone

Mar 8, 2010
Between teams that split goalie starts 40-60 or somewhere around that I would still take the following ahead of our tandem..

Ray Emery/ Corey Crawford
Brian Elliot/ Jaroslav Halak
and this season Martin Brodeur/ Corey Schneider will be in that 40-60 split ballpark.

I'm a huge Bernier fan though and think we definitely have a solid tandem.
Rask and Svedberg will turn some heads too, he's another solid goalie as well, any dup with Rask can't go wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad