Is Nikita Kucherov a Generational Talent? (Based on his NHL Career)

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
YES, 100% YES.

Tampa snatching a generational talent in the 2nd round may be the all time greatest draft steal in history. The Russian factor was BIG here but still..............

He's the first to record 100 assists as a winger, back to back 30pt playoff runs, the greatest playmaking winger ever IMO. A monster playoff performer and 21st all time in Playoff Points.

He's only chasing Jagr, Ovi, Hull and Howe with the beginning of his 30s happening in his career.

A generational player doesn't take until his 4th NHL season as a forward to eclipse the PPG mark.

Among the very best players in the league right now, but absolutely not generational.

Reactions: Nicko999 and Voight

Nathaniel Skywalker

DIG IN!!! RiGHT NOW!!!
Oct 18, 2013
Hes mcdavids ovechkin. Has handidly outscored him in two seasons and lets not forget he was leading 17-18 for 90% of the season. This year looking to once again leave connor in his dust.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Hes had an all time career and isn't close to finished yet but no he isn't generational.

People forget that generational players are hyped from when they are kids and also put up massive junior numbers.

Dialamo

Fire Rogalski Hire Pepe
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2007
Montreal, QC, Canada
Absoutely incredible player that I wish I had on my team. The only knock I have on him are his stupid tantrum hits that have injured players. I got no issues with him being a villain in the NHL as the league can use some more personality, but yeah, the dirty hits are my only gripe with him. Guy is an offensive threat almost every shift.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Hes mcdavids ovechkin. Has handidly outscored him in two seasons and lets not forget he was leading 17-18 for 90% of the season. This year looking to once again leave connor in his dust.
He didnt handily outscore him in 2024

144 pts in 80 games

Vs 132 ptd in 76 games or 139 pts in 80 games so a 5 pt gap (similar to OV vs Crosby had Crosby stayed healthy for 2008)

2019 year it was 128 on 82 vs 115 in 78 or 121 in 82

He had 6 pts more per season than Mcdavid those two years

Crosby in 09 and 10 was further back from OV on per season avg

The gap all-time between Mcdavid (3rd to 5th) and Kucherov (20th to 30th most likely once career is done) will be bigger than Crosby (6th to 8th) and OV (9th to 13th)

Nathaniel Skywalker

DIG IN!!! RiGHT NOW!!!
Oct 18, 2013
He didnt handily outscore him in 2024

144 pts in 80 games

Vs 132 ptd in 76 games or 139 pts in 80 games so a 5 pt gap (similar to OV vs Crosby had Crosby stayed healthy for 2008)

2019 year it was 128 on 82 vs 115 in 78 or 121 in 82

He had 6 pts more per season than Mcdavid those two years

Crosby in 09 and 10 was further back from OV on per season avg

The gap all-time between Mcdavid (3rd to 5th) and Kucherov (20th to 30th most likely once career is done) will be bigger than Crosby (6th to 8th) and OV (9th to 13th)
Ovechkin was on pace for 1 more point than crosby in 2008 n 4 more in 2009.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
A generational player doesn't take until his 4th NHL season as a forward to eclipse the PPG mark.

Among the very best players in the league right now, but absolutely not generational.
While I agree he's not generational, I don't think you can hold a player's trajectory against him. I mean, yeah he was roughly 24 when he became an elite player, but it's been 7 years and there is a lot of evidence that he's still getting better.

Kucherov is a different breed. His game is so IQ based that he might continue to improve as a player even when his skillset inevitably declines. He's constantly finding ways to be unpredictable.

Reactions: Rschmitz

Pablo El Perro

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Define generational. He's somewhere between Lafleur and Kurri. I wouldn't argue with Lafleur in the generational conversation but Kuch needs a few more years

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

Most generational players are top picks who get gift wrapped opportunities to shine in the offensive zone no matter how shitty their defensive game is, they don't have to deal with ultra conservative coaches who put them on a grind line for their first two years in the league.

Kucherov dominated everywhere he went but it wasn't until he had almost 30 goals his second year playing with career checking wingers that Cooper gave him scoring line opportunities.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Of course he is.

If he played for a canadian team and/or was canadian this wouldn't even be a question.

Kuch sure does get under peoples skin. :laugh:

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Most generational players are top picks who get gift wrapped opportunities to shine in the offensive zone no matter how shitty their defensive game is, they don't have to deal with ultra conservative coaches who put them on a grind line for their first two years in the league.

Kucherov dominated everywhere he went but it wasn't until he had almost 30 goals his second year playing with career checking wingers that Cooper gave him scoring line opportunities.
Most generational players are joining the worst team in the NHL. They might get gift wrapped PP time and offensive zone starts, but they are playing on a really, really bad team.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Most generational players are joining the worst team in the NHL. They might get gift wrapped PP time and offensive zone starts, but they are playing on a really, really bad team.

Even the worst team in the NHL has quality players on it, this isn't 2003. At the very least, they'll be playing with better linemates than Brian Boyle and a late career Brenden Morrow.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Even the worst team in the NHL has quality players on it, this isn't 2003. At the very least, they'll be playing with better linemates than Brian Boyle and a late career Brenden Morrow.

Maybe take a look at the roster Chicago iced last year...

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
We through the term generational around to free and easy these days.

I commented earlier about this but now lets let the numbers do the talking

Kuch first year was 13/14

HE is 4th in pts overall since then

McDavid 655 games 988 pts
Crosby 808 games 937 pts
MacKinnon 796 games 908 pts
Kuch 729 games 882 pts

McDavid is the clear Generational talent of Kuch's era with Crosby being the Generational talent of the previous generation.

Let me put it another way

You have a draft year of

McDavid
Crosby
Mackinnon
Kuch
Patrick Kane
Alex O
Anze Kopitar
Steve Stamkos
Geno Malkin

How many seriously take Kuch over McDavid and Crosby?

For me, the term "Generational" goes to the guy you point at and go there and say "it is him"

Kuch is a great player but he is not a generational talent, in my opinion, part of being a generational talent is not just looking at what that player is doing but other players of his era.

Both McDavid and Crosby would be the ones going 1 and 2 in any draft in the list I posted. Nothing against Kuch but he is also helped by having a lot of good players on his team. Having a clear number 1 d man in Hedman, Number 1 goalie in Vis and a supporting cast that is and was pretty good.

Both McDavid and Crosby did a lot of damage with little or no support from the supporting cast the teams put together early in their career

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad