Is NHL strictly a men's league?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
When the room is filled with people that misquote and misinterpret very simple statements, yeah.
My guy, you're claiming that the reason why men are better than women at sports or athletically is because boys and girls are separated into different sports league around the age of puberty (the separation hinders the girls/womens development), and not because there are actual biological differences between men/women which start to really come into effect around that age.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Exactly. Even one of the William's sisters said they would have no chance against men, just from the serve speed difference alone.
Yeah, Serena Williams, who is universally considered the greatest female athlete of all time, said she couldn't compete with even the lower ranked men in Tennis. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just nature. And it's why we have special sports leagues for our girls, where they can compete fairly against other girls/women and not have an extreme disadvantage competing against boys/men.

Reactions: Oddbob

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
It's impossible to backtrack from a statement I didn't make.

Whomever you want.
you went from women are being discriminated against which implies many more than you then saying there must be 1 woman who can play in the league

you also said girls are being segregated which implies large number then that turned into a few must have been

so you don't want to advocate for me even though i was discriminated against ?

Reactions: AvroArrow

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
You know all those kids that go to Shattuck-St Mary's regardless of where they grew up? Take away those opportunities and leave them in whatever youth league they currently play in. There is a reason so many kids that grow up to NHLers often move all over the country (world). So they can play with and against the best.

And any PWHL woman could suit up for 34 games and get a phantom assist.

You are full of it thinking a woman could play in the NHL. They can barely beat and lose lots to 16 year old males, how on earth are they keeping pace even with an NHL team full of AHL players which is what Austin Czarnik level players are. Not even touching that one big could potentially end their career. Have you seen PWHL highlights, the speed isn't even OHL/WHL/QMJHL level from what I have seen as they look quite slow when comparing the two.

Reactions: hotpaws

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
So we integrate boys and girls in youths levels of hockey, but we separate them at the teen years for the sole reason of not developing them.

Interesting theory.

I don't have a clue about soccer so I'm not going to try and comment why american men have never ever played against the best soccer players in the world. I'm surprised to hear that to be honest.

Pretty sure the USA Olympic Women's team in soccer challenged any men's team to play them and they would win. A 16 year old Boys team beat them 8-1 I believe, according to someone who mentioned this recently in another thread.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
My guy, you're claiming that the reason why men are better than women at sports or athletically is because boys and girls are separated into different sports league around the age of puberty (the separation hinders the girls/womens development), and not because there are actual biological differences between men/women which start to really come into effect around that age.
Again, my stance is that the circles of the Venn Diagram overlap. They aren't completely separate. My stance is not that they fully overlap and become one circle.

924 men played in the NHL this past season. I'm not convinced that every single one of them is a better hockey player than every single woman that played hockey in the past year. How wholly unreasonable.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
If Brienne of Tarth can beat the Hound, she can’t beat up Reaves. I have seen Reaves fight, and I can tell you with certainty, Reaves is no Hound.

Reactions: hotpaws

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Exactly. Even one of the William's sisters said they would have no chance against men, just from the serve speed difference alone.
Serena played against a man who was ranked about 200 , got smoked and was joking about it .

there aren't any women athletes in any sport that say they can compete against men but for some reason there's always people on the internet who keep insisting they can

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Again, my stance is that the circles of the Venn Diagram overlap. They aren't completely separate. My stance is not that they fully overlap and become one circle.

924 men played in the NHL this past season. I'm not convinced that every single one of them is a better hockey player than every single woman that played hockey in the past year. How wholly unreasonable.
So you really think that 1 or 2 or however many you think are better are just going to sit at home and not make a stink about it?

Considering the massive payday they'd be in line for they'd be absolutely stupid not to.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

It actually is and your victim complex only makes your take look worse. Is there any woman in specific you think should/could play in the NHL ? You think there's 1 who could keep up with the speed and physicality of the NHL, especially the playoffs ? If so, who ?

Your takes are outrageously ridiculous and they are being rightfully ridiculed.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Olympic shooting used to be co-ed. Until a woman won...
That was over 30 years ago, no?

I was curious and did some reading, apparently skeet shooting is one of those rare sports where women have some biological advantages (specifically in the offhand/standing position due to their hip structure). They also benefit from smaller lung volumes, leading to a steadier base. I don't know if any of this is true, just based on what I could read.

Still a ridiculous decision to eliminate the open section - they should have kept the open section for any men who wanted to challenge the best, and then a men's section for the men who didn't think they could compete.

That's completely unreasonable. Every single man who played in the ECHL is better than every women who played hockey this past year. By a lot.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Well you are wrong. Have you ever seen even the most scrub of scrub current and former players playing just for fun or in practice. Even the goons/dirty players have pretty darn good mits/skills when not playing against the NHLs best and I am talking about some that I absolutely loathe, but they actually have great skill compared to regular joes playing. Again, if 16 year olds can outskate/outplay them, why would they be better than NHL/AHL level players?

Reactions: zar and hotpaws

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

Yes. Wholly unreasonable, naive and ignorant. Maybe talk to some people that have spent time around elite female hockey players to gain some perspective.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

They're not, but it goes beyond being a better player.

Men do, in general, have an athletic advantage, and NHL players are in the 1% of 1% of athletes.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Is the role that is asked of the worst male hockey player on a team one that the best woman hockey player is suited to fill?
I'd argue that the worst hockey player on NHL teams often was one of the stars on their past teams, and had to adapt their game to survive. It's probably less common to find a Ryan Reaves-type, where they're always filled the same role. I seriously doubt that women's bodies could take 4th-liner grinder punishment (or easily keep up with the speed required, or rip a shot on net, etc), but players regularly do reinvent themselves - often the moment they're called up from the AHL.
I remember watching Manon Rheaume play (think for TB and it was either pre-season or an exhibition game - don't think she did too well). Can there ever be an NHL goalie that is a woman? Maybe.
I also agree that she played poorly, but she also shouldn't continue being the example of "we tried it, this happened". They could do something like that again, in goal - get a pulse on where women's hockey is at. Pre-season, all-star games, late season when you're out of the running and your two starters go down... I think it'd be fun to see.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
So you really think that 1 or 2 or however many you think are better are just going to sit at home and not make a stink about it?

Considering the massive payday they'd be in line for they'd be absolutely stupid not to.
Have you seen the internet? Who would subject themselves to that?

• Haha
Reactions: Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I also agree that she played poorly, but she also shouldn't continue being the example of "we tried it, this happened". They could do something like that again, in goal - get a pulse on where women's hockey is at. Pre-season, all-star games, late season when you're out of the running and your two starters go down... I think it'd be fun to see.
Why would we try at the very highest level to "get a pulse where womens hockey is at"

Start at the best beer leagues and work your way up (or down) from there.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
No. I believe women, girls actually, are separated from their peers at an age where crucial development happens. Thereby not developing along side the best of the best in their age groups. Are there women that could play in the NHL and look no worse than Austin Czarnik? Absolutely. Is it worth the (social) media shit storm? Not so much. Would there be more if youth sports weren't segregated? Yes. Is it 50/50? Absolutely not. But it's also not 100/0...

Again, look at American men's soccer. Are American men incapable, physically, of competing at the top end? Or were they simply not developed properly?
It's comments like these that indicate you've never played the sport at any meaningful level. If you ran into Austin Czarnik at a pick up game you'd think he was Connor McDavid. Nobody would be able to touch him.

Even the worst NHL players are unbelievably good.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

it would be a huge increase in pay if woman could just make the AHL never mind the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad