Is McDavid Top 10 For You All Time Already? If Not How Much More Does He Have to do?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
A player who gets 1 assist every game is top 10 all time? lol.

Funny how everyone pumps up McDavid when he’s gotten out scored by Draisatl and now Kucherov TWICE handily. Even mackinnon is out scoring him (and he also has a Stanley cup don’t forget)
I think it's more so the Harts, Lindsays, Art Ross's, all star selections and 100+ point seasons that put him in the conversation.

Is Malkin top 100 yet?
He's 102
100.Toews
101.Kravtsov

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Lemieux had 199 points in 74 games. Could not win a cup.

It’s not McDavids fault he hasn’t won one yet and I’ll say the same thing I did about OV, he will get at least one.

Players like them always end up getting one.

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC

It’s not McDavids fault he hasn’t won one yet and I’ll say the same thing I did about OV, he will get at least one.

There is a sizeable list of top tier players without one.

No one wants to be Dave Andreychuk before the cup.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Mario and Orr are in the Big 4 with abbreviated careers/full seasons.

McDavid is in the next tier of GOATs which could place him anywhere from 25 to 15 ( but not ahead of Jagr and OV), More prime seasons and some playoff success will dictate how high he goes.
I tend to lean this way but this is the low end, top end he is knocking on top 10 already and will be close if he has another playoff anywhere near the last 2, SC or not.

McDavid's entire case is built on this foundation

Hart finishes 1,1,1,2,3,5,5 (another top 5 incoming this year most likely)

Art Ross finishes 1,1,1,1,1,2,2 and 6th this year but will almost certainly end up higher.

No SC but back to back playoff seasons with more than 20 points.

He certainly is passing Lafleur this season and in my books that happened after the 21-22 season and that 33 point playoff run.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
If he showed composure and kept playing hockey when they're down instead of taking dirty runs at other teams players I think more people would have respect for him.

• Haha
Reactions: zar

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
If he showed composure and kept playing hockey when they're down instead of taking dirty runs at other teams players I think more people would have respect for him.
You sure you’re in the right thread?

True. Lucky for him that turtling away from a 170lbs Gourde isnt part of the criteria.
Turtling? Why is he supposed to fight a 4th liner that got highsticked by his own teammate, your argument doesn’t make sense

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
A player who gets 1 assist every game is top 10 all time? lol.

Funny how everyone pumps up McDavid when he’s gotten out scored by Draisatl and now Kucherov TWICE handily. Even mackinnon is out scoring him (and he also has a Stanley cup don’t forget)
Yeah McDavid sucks. He could never reach 150 points in a season. I know this because I'm never wrong.

Last edited:

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I tend to lean this way but this is the low end, top end he is knocking on top 10 already and will be close if he has another playoff anywhere near the last 2, SC or not.

McDavid's entire case is built on this foundation

Hart finishes 1,1,1,2,3,5,5 (another top 5 incoming this year most likely)

Art Ross finishes 1,1,1,1,1,2,2 and 6th this year but will almost certainly end up higher.

No SC but back to back playoff seasons with more than 20 points.

He certainly is passing Lafleur this season and in my books that happened after the 21-22 season and that 33 point playoff run.

Above Jagr and Ovechkin?

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
If you created some controlled environment where you compared players regardless of eras, he’s probably top 3.

I’d say he’s probably near top 10 already if not there by a standard way of comparing across eras. Will easily be top 10 in a few more years.

Weirdest thing about this thread to me is seeing how Crosby’s career seems to be underrated by so many people now that he isn’t the bonafide stud of the league despite still being elite. Do people not remember how good he was? I say this as a Bruins fan who always hated the guy.

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta

Mario Lemieux didn't win 2 Cups in a row? Interesting.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
There is a sizeable list of top tier players without one.

No one wants to be Dave Andreychuk before the cup.
Please provide that list. Because it does not include Dave Andreychuk. Show me a player that dominated his era and doesn’t have a cup.

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Please provide that list. Because it does not include Dave Andreychuk. Show me a player that dominated his era and doesn’t have a cup.
Yup. The greatest players lead their club to at least one Cup. McDavid is fabulous but without leading his club to a Cup he drops out of the greatest players’ list imo. Even so he’d still be in my top 10 best list.

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
1. Wayne Gretzky
2. Mario Lemieux
3. Jean Beliveau
4. Sidney Crosby
5. Howie Morenz
6. Phil Esposito
7. Mark Messier
8. Frank Nighbor
9. Stan Mikita
10. Joe Sakic
11. Bobby Clarke
12. Bryan Trottier
13. Cyclone Taylor
14. Steve Yzerman
15. Connor McDavid

Every centre ahead of him has won a Cup. Everyone besides Mikita won at least two. Everyone has played at least twice as many seasons as McDavid. Everyone besides Mikita was the best forward on a Cup winning team.

If McDavid pulls off the season he's in the process of doing, he will jump at least 5 guys ahead of him.

After first 7 seasons, he's third behind Gretzky and Lemieux. But everyone else continued to add and add and add. McDavid will, but he hasn't yet.
If they were all the same age and I had to choose which one I would take to build my team:
Mario Lemieux
Wayne Gretzky
McDavid
Crosby
Jagr
Draisatil
Esposito
Lafleur
Bossy
Matthews
Ovechkin
Messier
Sakic
Yzerman
Malkin
Lindros

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: authentic

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
No, I don't even have him as a top 10 centre, yet.

He's still in the first half of his career. He's likely only at like the 35-40% career mark.

After McDavid's age Crosby
* won two Pearsons
* won an Art Ross and Hart
* won 2 Cups and 2 Conn Smythes
* had 4 seasons as a Hart finalists beyond his Hart win
* won an Olympic Gold
* won a World Cup and MVP
* won a World Championship
* won a Rocket Richard

McDavid has a lot of career left to write. No point jumping the gun on his ranking. He will absolutely jump up to a top 10 player all time. But enjoy the accomplishments when they come. They will feel more fulfilling if you wait.
Just one quibble.. the only chance McD had internationally to win gold was on a ginmicked U23 team with players from the US. The Crosby team at the worlds was also the most stacked team in the last 20 years or more.

Not saying I disagree with your take just saying he didn't have the same international opportunities that Sid had.

Reactions: zar

boopronger

Aug 13, 2008
1. Wayne Gretzky
2. Mario Lemieux
3. Jean Beliveau
4. Sidney Crosby
5. Howie Morenz
6. Phil Esposito
7. Mark Messier
8. Frank Nighbor
9. Stan Mikita
10. Joe Sakic
11. Bobby Clarke
12. Bryan Trottier
13. Cyclone Taylor
14. Steve Yzerman
15. Connor McDavid

Every centre ahead of him has won a Cup. Everyone besides Mikita won at least two. Everyone has played at least twice as many seasons as McDavid. Everyone besides Mikita was the best forward on a Cup winning team.

If McDavid pulls off the season he's in the process of doing, he will jump at least 5 guys ahead of him.

After first 7 seasons, he's third behind Gretzky and Lemieux. But everyone else continued to add and add and add. McDavid will, but he hasn't yet.
Yes Frank Nighbor and his career 196 points is better than Mcdavid. You cant be serious

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad