Is MacKinnon now the best player in the NHL?

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
No, obviously it's Stone.

Wait, wait, no it IS Mackinnon.

WAIT. Incoming transmission. No, no, sorry, it's McDavid.

**** I forgot, it's Kucherov!

Reactions: MacBradley

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
I know a lot of people are making fun at the thought, but MacKinnon is playing like the best player in the league right now. Last year he had a stretch where he was unstoppable as well and we had a number of these threads. The thing with MacKinnon is that he seems to be a stronger, more explosive player (not speed, but just physicality) than McDavid, so when he's on it looks like he's playing against boys out there in every sense of the word. He's a freaking tank, surreal combination of strength - speed - power - shooting prowess.

With that said, he needs a little more consistency at his peak level to overtake McDavid as the best player in the game.

maxbme

Jan 13, 2016
In the same way Crosby was always the best player when this was asked about giroux and who ever else, mcdavid is the best player in the NHL, regardless of who is on a hot streak or having an insane season, and will be for quite some time.

Not taking away anything from kuch or McKinnon, but mcdavid is the best. Bar none.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
No. McDavid is still at the top. But I now fully believe that MacKinnon is closer to #1 than whoever #3 may be (Crosby, Kucherov) is to him.

I watched the latest Calgary-Colorado game with a buddy who’s a huge Flames fan, and I think he summed it up nicely: “MacKinnon is their whole f***ing team.”

Reactions: MacBradley

Gobben

Jan 22, 2019
IMHO after seeing Mackinnon play recently I believe he has developed into the best player in the NHL. He is an absolute beast of a player who looks unstoppable if on top of his game. His speed and stick handling is comparable to McDavid's and he has a much better shot and is also stronger. He also seems to be more mature and a better leader at this point in time.

I guess to me the only question is consistency. If he can play like he did in game 3 consistently then for me I would take him first if I was starting a new team.

Thoughts?

Angus McKinnon Young has been the best for over 40 years.

It is not a surprise. He is unstoppable and on top of any and every game.

Reactions: DanishAvsfan

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Mark Stone is the best. He is a contender for Selke, Hart, and now 1st in playoff scoring.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
If I had to pick NM, and the Colorado 4th, or McDavid.....I would still probably take McDavid.

NM has looked absolutely awesome.....best player in that series no doubt.

Last edited:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
What people don't understand is that playoff Mack =/= regular season Mack. The kid is currently the career playoff league leader in p/g among all active players. When chips are down he just goes insane.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
What people don't understand is that playoff Mack =/= regular season Mack. The kid is currently the career playoff league leader in p/g among all active players. When chips are down he just goes insane.
Barzal, slavin and foegele are higher

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
All I can say is this. When I watched McDavid play the Avs for the first time, I basically saw blurry flashes of relentless speedy fore checking and scoring chances. I had a hard time focusing my eyes properly; he was everywhere. There is no player better than McDavid.

Reactions: generationalfan

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I didn't say he is better than McDavid, just that he goes to another level in the playoffs. It's actually amazing he has only 5 points in the series given he does whatever he wants out there.
Okay then, I don't disagree with you, living in calgary it was alot of fun being at the bar being the only guy cheering and celebrating the Avs win.

I went wild when they tied and won it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad