Is MacKinnon now the best player in the NHL?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Haven't read the thread and definitely reactionary, but the thing that has always separated MacKinnon for me when it comes to other #1 overall draft picks/top players is his ability to step up and deliver in big moments and in big games. This has happened throughout junior, in the World Cup and his short playoff career. You can say other players are better at this and that, and during the regular season, but IMO he will be one of, if not, THE best playoff performers in this era. And depending on how you measure a player, it could be argued he is the best because of this ability. All I know I'm happy he's on my team and I'll wait for him to win a Conn Smythe or 2 before making any proclamations

Reactions: MacBradley

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
No. MacK is a stud and he's up there, but to be the best player you have to win hardware, preferably individual hardware. The best players last season were McDavid and OV. This season McDavid and Kucherov. Even though they both didn't play in the playoffs, their regular seasons were too good. OV will stay at the top though with another big playoff run.

IndustryLeech

Jan 23, 2013
Fort Collins, CO
I get what you are saying, but look at the Oilers and then look at the Avalanche. McDavid can only do so much with a bad team. Crosby is a great leaders and the pens got destroyed in the first round. Just like I would say McDavid is a good leader too.

Not too sure how you can determine who is the better leader, when Nate and Connor are in quite different situations
He can't get them to the playoffs.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
He's the best player in the league when the officiating gives him a 5 on 3 PP in a tie playoff game for this:

PowerlessSeriousAsianconstablebutterfly-size_restricted.gif

2 minutes for a stick lift!!
You're really good at embarrassing yourself everywhere you post.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Very easily still McDavid

But I am a huge Mackinnon fan, he is working himself into the #2 slot in my eyes. As Crosby, Ovi, Malkin age, I think Mackinnon/Barkov/Matthews/Marner/Draisaitl/Rantanen are the guys fighting to be at the top, and as of now, I think Mackinnon is winning that battle.

Last edited:

wayninja

Win it for Val
Mar 24, 2017
MacKinnon may very well be the ONLY player in the NHL. I've heard told at the very least that he is the only one on his team.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
It's amazing really, when you look back just 2 years ago and there was a growing feeling of "well, looks like he'll be a good 60ish point center.." among Av fans. People were getting really fed up, goes to show sometimes it just takes a player a few years to get their bearings.
Doesn't hurt to get a ppg winger added to your team to help already gifted players achieve a high level of play. Before Rantanen joined the Avs Mackinnon looked to be a disappointing first overall.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
No. MacK is a stud and he's up there, but to be the best player you have to win hardware, preferably individual hardware. The best players last season were McDavid and OV. This season McDavid and Kucherov. Even though they both didn't play in the playoffs, their regular seasons were too good. OV will stay at the top though with another big playoff run.

Mack should’ve won the Hart last year honestly. He was at worst the 3rd best player in the league last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad