Is Kucherov getting slighted for awards?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Flashy Canadian vs Introverted Russian. Media decided they were going to give it to Mackinnon about a quarter of the way through the season and never really budged, a lot of the old criteria's for Hart just sorta went out the window.

What do you mean old criteria? The criteria for the Hart changes every single year.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Flashy Canadian vs Introverted Russian. Media decided they were going to give it to Mackinnon about a quarter of the way through the season and never really budged, a lot of the old criteria's for Hart just sorta went out the window.

The old criteria tended to be the best player, which many believed he was.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
No, that's a recent criteria

% of team points
point totals

No it’s not. Very rarely has “relative value to one’s team” been used in Hart voting. And even if it is used here, Kucherov doesn’t have a clear case either considering MacKinnon wasn’t far behind in terms of percentage of teams goals and he raised his teams GF% a higher amount when he was in the ice.

I just find it funny that pretty much everyone but Tampa fans seem to realize it’s close and could have gone either way.

Reactions: wetcoast

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
On the other hand you have to be trusted to be out there to nurse a lead with the net pulled, as you're essentially killing off a 6 on 5 penalty and can look like a fool if you concede that game tying goal. An EN goal also more or less ensures the W, so I wouldn't take anything away from piling on the numbers that way. Or anyone with 144 points.

But yeah, back on topic. You get the sense Kuch isn't the most popular guy out there, so it's less of a "Euro" thing and more of a Kuch thing.
He's more introverted and doesn't like the limelight. He doesn't want to do interviews or skills competitions, which isn't his forte since it doesn't showcase cerebral hockey IQ. He admits he's not the fastest or best skater out there. What he does is make plays happen due to the way he sees the ice and makes his teammates better for it. He puts up the same numbers as the "more valuable" center position, and becomes the best player on his team as a winger. He dragged a underperforming team to the playoffs. And like he always does, win or lose, gets back to training a week or two later.

His teammates and coaches love him for his work ethic and the high standards he sets.
Think it was Stamkos or Sergachev who said that if you want to train with him you had better be on time and ready to work on the ice, or you're out of consideration as a training partner.

Mackinnon had a great season too obviously but some of the milestones Kucherov set this year were more noteworthy in my opinion. If the deciding factor is popularity, then that doesn't trend in Kucherov's favor unless players know him personally.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
No it’s not. Very rarely has “relative value to one’s team” been used in Hart voting. And even if it is used here, Kucherov doesn’t have a clear case either considering MacKinnon wasn’t far behind in terms of percentage of teams goals and he raised his teams GF% a higher amount when he was in the ice.

I just find it funny that pretty much everyone but Tampa fans seem to realize it’s close and could have gone either way.

This has been rehashed ad nauseam in several other threads, not going over the stats again.

You're talking out of your ass, Tampa fans have been expecting anything in the same zipcode to go to Mackinnon.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Assuming he means 2021 where Kuch led the playoffs in scoring by 9 points, not this season obvi

He definitely didn't do himself any favours at the All Star game, but are we really going to begrudge Mackinnon getting it this year? He had a monster year himself
Padding your stats on the PP in round 1 shouldn’t give you the Smythe. Point had a better case

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
This has been rehashed ad nauseam in several other threads, not going over the stats again.

You're talking out of your ass, Tampa fans have been expecting anything in the same zipcode to go to Mackinnon.

I’m not talking about expectations, I’m talking about who deserves it. It’s always Tampa fans bitching about how it should easily be Kucherov or talking out their asses about what the Hart voting usually looks like like you just did.

Reactions: wetcoast

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
No, that's a recent criteria

% of team points(Hall 93 points 39g over McDavid 108 pts 41g)
point totals over goals (Henrik Sedin 112 pts 29g over Crosby 109 points 51 g)

Okay, you've listed two different criteria from two different seasons. Yet you neglect to mention that:

2020-2021 McDavid won it despite Draisaitl being 2nd in league scoring.

2021-2022 Matthews won it while having 17 less points than McDavid, but had the most goals.

Last year McDavid won the Hart when Draisaitl was (once again) 2nd in league scoring.

So again, what criteria has been thrown out the window in this case?

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I’m not talking about expectations, I’m talking about who deserves it. It’s always Tampa fans bitching about how it should easily be Kucherov or talking out their asses about what the Hart voting usually looks like like you just did.

Yeah, no Tampa fans have said that Kucherov easily deserves it, nice try

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad