Is Kaapo Kakko Kooked or Kan he still live up to what he was billed as?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The problem is, not only does Kakko not put up points, his linemates can't either when he's out there.

He has a good influence on a number of underlying numbers, but he's a terrible influence on goals-for over a pretty large sample.

It's kind of weird. I don't normally put an enormous amount of stock in the "underlying numbers" in general...but Kakko is a real example of where they can generate...anomalous results sometimes.

Especially when cross-referenced with the eye-test and other statistics and metrics and deployment info and all the rest of the portfolio.

Where...it all really just screams that he's not a "dumb player" per se. Just that he's an extremely conservative player, and not nearly as skilled or creative offensively as his draft position would generally suggest.

He's kind of...Jack Skille for the contemporary age. But already significantly better than what Skille eventually turned himself into late in his career as a functional 4th line checker. So he'll always have that.

But there really is just that "play it safe" element to Kakko that i'm not sure he'll ever overcome. Short of some sort of major "wakeup call" change. But he's also too "decent" as a fairly "safe" checker already to maybe ever get that come to Jeebus moment that shakes him loose.

Plus, he seems permanently hex yipped as a finisher and just handling the puck in prime opportunities in general.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
These first over all draft picks which disappoint sometime wnd up a superb depth player with bug play off contributions.
Time will tell.
Rags should keep him.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
He's a decent hockey player. I like what he can provide for a middle 6

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I think it's funny to see Dach who was also rushed by the Craphawks and then he goes to the Habs for a fresh start and puts up a 50pt pace, he'll likely keep rebounding there. Seems like a few others from that 2019 draft need a change of scenery, definitely has worked out for a couple so far. Next up - Zegras and Kappo.
Kirby Dach 5v5 points/60 by year:
Screenshot 2024-08-08 at 10.01.11 AM.png

Not really much improvement there, in fact he got worse compared to his first 2 years.

He just went from about 1:35 a night on the PP in chicago on a PP2, to 3:30 a night on PP1 in MTL.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Kirby Dach 5v5 points/60 by year:
View attachment 899810
Not really much improvement there, in fact he got worse compared to his first 2 years.

He just went from about 1:35 a night on the PP in chicago on a PP2, to 3:30 a night on PP1 in MTL.
So really he did have an improvement and was used to his strengths to build up confidence and use his offensive skill to the advantage.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
So really he did have an improvement and was used to his strengths to build up confidence and use his offensive skill to the advantage.
No. He was given more opportunity.

He didn't improve. hence why his even strength numbers are WORSE than they were in chicago.

The on ice results he generated on the PP weren't anything special either. It helped him, but didn't lead to an overall effective PP. And the power play didn't miss much of a beat whatever combo it was of Dach, Newhook, Slaf, Hoffman, Monahan, etc was on alongside the Caufield-Suzuki-Matheson anchor

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
No. He was given more opportunity.

He didn't improve. hence why his even strength numbers are WORSE than they were in chicago.

The on ice results he generated on the PP weren't anything special either. It helped him, but didn't lead to an overall effective PP. And the power play didn't miss much of a beat whatever combo it was of Dach, Newhook, Slaf, Hoffman, Monahan, etc was on alongside the Caufield-Suzuki-Matheson anchor
Guessing he probably had really sheltered deployment his rookie year though. Was he getting mostly 1st line mins in Montreal?

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Guessing he probably had really sheltered deployment his rookie year though. Was he getting mostly 1st line mins in Montreal?
Screenshot 2024-08-08 at 3.45.41 PM.png

Here's his zone usage.

For a large portion of his time in MTL he was getting 1st line winger minutes alongside suzuki and caufield (this was the only time in his career his possession metrics weren't horrific).

He never really produced individually, but as the 3rd best player on a offensively utilized top line, he at least wasn't getting caved in possession wise like he has every other time.

in chicago he got a lot of high quality linemate usage too with Debrincat.

The consistent lack of 5v5 production (it's in line with 3rd/4th line guys and league minimum players, a number of defensemen), despite playing with VERY good linemates and favourable usage, is very concerning.

He's an effective PP weapon tho, and maybe a decent winger alongside 2 better guys.

I've seen nothing in his career to suggest he is an effective NHL center tho.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
For a comparable btw, here are Kakko's results 5v5
Screenshot 2024-08-08 at 3.54.06 PM.png

So a step ahead of dach the whole way basically, looking quite good in 22-23.

This last year was a real struggle though.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
All of this talk of "underlying stats" makes me laugh. It would be nice if he can actually evolve from a theoretical hockey player into a real one. Up the intensity. Vastly increase # of shots. Get greasy. Will probably need a top-tier playmaker to get the most out of him. Instead of trading him for Zegras I wish the Rangers would trade for Zegras and play him with Kraapo!

WayTooCold

Jun 9, 2023
This is why we don't draft Finn on Detroit Red Wings. They are all busts. We only draft Swedes and Russians. No Finns.

• Haha
Reactions: Czechboy

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Em went crazy on Fuel.
His pen will always be insane in all honesty he reached a level where his God like pen ain't even exciting you just know he murders loose-leaf to laurel even if he was in a coma but it's still fun to let him obliterate your mind

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Unfortunately I never notice him when watching NYR games... He reminds me of one of those guys when playing hockey that come off the ice breathing hard and sweating and you wanna ask him "I didn't even notice u out there and what did u even do out there to be breathing so hard"

I would love to see him excel but I just don't think it's gonna happen

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
It's kind of weird. I don't normally put an enormous amount of stock in the "underlying numbers" in general...but Kakko is a real example of where they can generate...anomalous results sometimes.

Especially when cross-referenced with the eye-test and other statistics and metrics and deployment info and all the rest of the portfolio.

Where...it all really just screams that he's not a "dumb player" per se. Just that he's an extremely conservative player, and not nearly as skilled or creative offensively as his draft position would generally suggest.

He's kind of...Jack Skille for the contemporary age. But already significantly better than what Skille eventually turned himself into late in his career as a functional 4th line checker. So he'll always have that.

But there really is just that "play it safe" element to Kakko that i'm not sure he'll ever overcome. Short of some sort of major "wakeup call" change. But he's also too "decent" as a fairly "safe" checker already to maybe ever get that come to Jeebus moment that shakes him loose.

Plus, he seems permanently hex yipped as a finisher and just handling the puck in prime opportunities in general.

It's interesting because he was seen as the complete opposite of what he's now.

He used to be very creative, his hands were his main weapon and he did very well offensively in the WHC's (including against NHLers) prior to getting drafted.

Something feels off, I wonder what would happen if Colorado traded for him.

Reactions: biturbo19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad