Is Kaapo Kakko Kooked or Kan he still live up to what he was billed as?

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
I don't see Kakko having the renaissance that Laf had this past season. He's too injury prone, and doesn't have the personality, he's too passive as others have already stated.

They signed him to a 1 year deal knowing full well that this is a make it or break it season for him, and if he doesn't improve, he's gone at the trade deadline.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
This year’s make or break for him but I think he’ll trend closer to his 22-23 form than his 23-24. He spent a ton of his minutes last season with Mika Zibanejad (who looked like he forgot the game isn’t just played 5v5), Alex Wennnberg (who couldn’t find the offensive zone if you glued him to the opposing goalie), and Nick Bonino (who would look more at home on an ECHL 4th line than an NHL 3rd).

The Cuylle-Brod-Kakko line actually looked quite decent on the other hand. Filip Chytil, Kakko’s likely C this year, plays a similar game to Brodzinski, just better in every way. I see somewhere bt 35-45 pts this year, mostly 5v5

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Finnish junior / adult leagues have been a total mirage in terms of their competitiveness and creativity.

Because they had success in a few international tournaments people think that's the only way to win.

Reminds me of back when Sweden implemented the trap at all levels. It helped win games, but led to a generation's worth of non-creative players.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
A highly drafted player that was rushed to the NHL, definitely needed to be eased in and maybe spend some time (or a full season) in the AHL with actual development, failed. I mean, it's a tale as old as time with the NHL with so many players suffering this same fate only for fans sitting on their fat asses to claim these players are crap because they couldn't over come those obstacles.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Needs a new start.

But yea 2019 full of duds.
I think it's funny to see Dach who was also rushed by the Craphawks and then he goes to the Habs for a fresh start and puts up a 50pt pace, he'll likely keep rebounding there. Seems like a few others from that 2019 draft need a change of scenery, definitely has worked out for a couple so far. Next up - Zegras and Kappo.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
A highly drafted player that was rushed to the NHL, definitely needed to be eased in and maybe spend some time (or a full season) in the AHL with actual development, failed. I mean, it's a tale as old as time with the NHL with so many players suffering this same fate only for fans sitting on their fat asses to claim these players are crap because they couldn't over come those obstacles.
I get the argument but I don't know if any sort of development was going to help this guy. His hockey IQ is nonexistent. He just doesn't have any idea what to do with the puck at this level.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I get the argument but I don't know if any sort of development was going to help this guy. His hockey IQ is nonexistent. He just doesn't have any idea what to do with the puck at this level.
You won't know because he was never given that opportunity. Instead of playing in more situations and fixing his game at the AHL level after his first season, they kept him up and just stunted his development. So now you want to blame his hockey IQ and that's a lot of bullshit imo because the development team in NY had zero IQ on how to develop the prospect and the failure of Kappo as a top player based on his potential is more the Rangers fault than Kappo's because he isn't the one telling the team how to use him, how to coach him, what situations to play him, etc.

For a lot of players, they are getting the wrong message and you know what, there are some that are just not very good and can't hack it, but Kappo didn't have that buzzing around him at the draft. He has been used insanely poorly, developed even worse and the Rangers are now hanging on to him because of stubbornness and spite for how high he was drafting rather than moving on from him and getting someone they can use and allowing the player to get a chance at rebounding his career.

So many have an issue with a prospect that didn't work out, doing well elsewhere, especially when the development of that player is why that player isn't succeeding.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad