Is John Tavares starting to slip?

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
His contract expires next season anyway so it does not matter. I would think the Leafs are walking away from him.

what did you expect? The guy is at the end of a seven year contract. That will have him at 35 years old. Lol your thread is a cheap attempt to stir the pot.
The Leafs aren’t walking away from him.

1 x 3.5 then 1 x 2x5 until he’s cooked.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Compared to what? He's basically the same player he's always been.

He's 33 years old and his contract ends next year so I imagine at some point he'll decline. A 70+ point season is still a strong season.
So still overpaid then. It was that contract that skewed all your others.
Still a poor skater.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
If he puts up 70 this year and next, what do you think another team besides the Leafs offers him?

GMs LOVE to overpay past their prime former top 6 Centres as UFAs.

Like is 5x5 unrealistic? I'm not saying he's worth that, but rather what he could get as a UFA from a team aside from the Leafs.

If he does stay in Toronto. I forsee like 3x3 or something like that.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
If he puts up 70 this year and next, what do you think another team besides the Leafs offers him?

Like is 5x5 unrealistic? I'm not saying he's worth that, but rather what he could get as a UFA from a team aside from the Leafs.

5.5 million x 3 years.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
This is completely irrelevant. It is far after the fact and his next contract is a big obstacle to navigate through. Right now he can pull his weight and flex the team for more big bucks on small term. NO one wants that. Not the fans , not the new GM and probably not the players in the room who are sick of the roster not being rounded out properly. Blaming the old regime for the original contract is old news. Right now we as fans have to pray Treliving has a nutsack and gets rid of this fraud.

Well, aside from Dubas, I think the peices from the "old regime" are still around, so we will see if they learned from their mistakes.

As for the contract, same thing will happen with Nylander on the mid to back end of his deal. That's just the cost of doing business.

Let's remember what this thread title is. It's about Tavares starting to slip. Well, he's almost 15 years into his career. That was inevitable.

Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

Higher AAV, lower term (like a 3 year deal). What did the Senators pay Giroux? Something like that adjusted for current cap %.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
He probably wants to retire a Leaf but he’s going to have to take a serious serious discount and cut in pay when his contract expires.

IMG_4883.jpeg

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
The Leafs aren’t walking away from him.

1 x 3.5 then 1 x 2x5 until he’s cooked.
He’s already cooked, his stats come from playing with a 110 point winger and a 95 point winger, post Sweden he has 15 in 27, playing exclusively with nylander and Marner + pp1. I think domi could probably have similar numbers with his usage.

His foot speed is gone below awful, he never had an elite shot or playmaking ability. He makes very low iq decisions at times and is just a mess in the dzone as he can’t get to pucks first.

He’s not physical enough to play 4th line. So he doesn’t serve a purpose on the team

I hope we walk away and try to find a suitable replacement

Reactions: hamzarocks

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
He is getting older and looks like he has lost a touch of speed.

If you look at his shooting %, he is bad this year. He gets a lot of PP goals in front of the net. I think he is shooting at half of his normal pace. He did have some bursts of speed tonight.

Look for him to get on a little heater.

I would love a player like him on my team (just not at his current price tag)

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018

Maybe Vancouver can call on the ghost of Jim Benning to give him a 6x6 deal.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Tavares has always been overrated. Never scored 90 let alone 100 points in a single season. If he wasn't a first overall pick and didn't have success on an international level there would be no talk of him eventually being in the HHOF.

Reactions: Barzaltrick

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Everyone known he's overpaid. That has nothing to do with whether he's slipping or not. It's just a jab at him (or the Leafs) for no good reason.

He's on pace for 70 points, and most people probably had him pegged at around 75-ish. I don't think that's a slip - but eevn if you think it is - it's not a threadworthy one. If he ends the season with 65pts over a full season, then we can start talking...
Current pace: 63 points.

Can we start talking?

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
He's been slipping for a while but scoring being up has masked it a little. The other problem is that the Leafs don't play a game that suits his style. He goes to the net and the Leafs are a soft, perimeter team that rarely puts the puck into play for him there.

I'll just add in that he has been overpaid since day one and that his contract completely wrecked the Leafs internal salary structure and thus their rebuild. They are squandering what may be the most talented group of players they have ever developed.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
He's cooked. I give credit to Nylander for propping him up this year. Without Nylander Tavares is barely a 50-52pt player thanks to the PP.

He can't get any slower so that's a plus for the Leafs. He can't be a Center anymore. He's a liability.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1