Is John Tavares starting to slip?

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Everyone known he's overpaid. That has nothing to do with whether he's slipping or not. It's just a jab at him (or the Leafs) for no good reason.

He's on pace for 70 points, and most people probably had him pegged at around 75-ish. I don't think that's a slip - but eevn if you think it is - it's not a threadworthy one. If he ends the season with 65pts over a full season, then we can start talking...

cc

Feb 28, 2002
He's probably just a little banged up although he probably wouldn't admit it

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
UFAs decline and their contracts get progressively worse over time, this isn’t exactly breaking news.

With that said, his career average is a little under a point per game, so he’s not shockingly off his historic norm.

He’s declining pretty much exactly on schedule overall, this isn’t a particularly interesting thread topic.

Reactions: violaswallet

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
JT is a master at quietly getting his ppg.
However he is minus player on team full of plus players the last two seasons.
Might be starting to cheat his game a little in order to maintain that ppg.

Unfortunately for you, JT is not a minus player this year. You'll need to make up a new narrative.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Among all forwards in NHL at even strength production Tavares is ranked 58th. Given his AAV that isn't impactful enough IMO.

1705246103940.png

Mar 26, 2010
His contract expires next season anyway so it does not matter. I would think the Leafs are walking away from him.

what did you expect? The guy is at the end of a seven year contract. That will have him at 35 years old. Lol your thread is a cheap attempt to stir the pot.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
His contract expires next season anyway so it does not matter. I would think the Leafs are walking away from him.

what did you expect? The guy is at the end of a seven year contract. That will have him at 35 years old. Lol your thread is a cheap attempt to stir the pot.

Do you really think the Leafs would walk away from him though? I think it's practically a certainty that he re-signs and likely on a team friendly deal. He's living his childhood dream as the Captain of his hometown team, there is no way he is going to let go of that easily. His wife and whole family are there in Toronto, they wouldn't let him leave even if he wanted to either.

Mar 26, 2010
Do you really think the Leafs would walk away from him though? I think it's practically a certainty that he re-signs and likely on a team friendly deal. He's living his childhood dream as the Captain of his hometown team, there is no way he is going to let go of that easily. His wife and whole family are there in Toronto, they wouldn't let him leave even if he wanted to either.
Business is business. Toronto is going to gain $11M in cap space. They are going to do what is best. Unless he is willing to take on $2M-$3M on the contract then he is out the door.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Business is business. Toronto is going to gain $11M in cap space. They are going to do what is best.

Damn, you're cold hearted... I love it.

You don't think he re-signs at like $5.5M for 3-years or something? He would likely be productive enough to make that a very reasonable deal. PR-wise, the Captain re-signing can be spun positively too. I think it's inevitable he re-signs.

Plus, where else would he go? He kind of boxed himself in to the Leafs.

Mar 26, 2010
Damn, you're cold hearted... I love it.

You don't think he re-signs at like $5.5M for 3-years or something? He would likely be productive enough to make that a very reasonable deal. PR-wise, the Captain re-signing can be spun positively too. I think it's inevitable he re-signs.

Plus, where else would he go? He kind of boxed himself in to the Leafs.
No, he is not worth $5M. A reasonable deal for him would be $2M-$3M. If he does not like the offer, we wish him the best. You will not get that money here.

After next season his contract is expired. Not Toronto’s problem where he goes. IMO, Toronto has to cut ties with him. He is not good enough anymore, he is bad.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Unfortunately for you, JT is not a minus player this year. You'll need to make up a new narrative.
pick a card

Last 28 games since Domi moved to center.
Domi 15 assists ( no first unit pp time)
Tavares 15 assists (all kinds 1st unit pp time)

JT might be slipping

Last edited:
Reactions: authentic

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
He’s very slow.

JT was never a good skater, but my God he is behind the play and clearly struggles in high paced games like last night’s loss to the Avalanche.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5