Is Jeremy Swayman an elite goalie or is he a flash in the pan?

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
All goalies are a flash in the pan.

Unless you're talking about one of the top, top goalies in NHL history, most goaltender's resumes tend to be built on 2-4 distinct seasons.

Even Pekka Rinne, who had an excellent career, had as many negative GSAA seasons as positive ones.

I think Swayman is pretty good and a decent bet to give you some good years, but unless he ends up being a first-ballot Hall of Famer, he probably ends up having like 3 great years, 4 ok years, and 4 bad years. That's most goaltending careers.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
His stats everywhere he has played have been elite. Never had a down year statistically, which is very uncommon.

His "worst" NHL season in 4 years he has a .914 save percentage.

Jake oettinger has had 4 year in the nhl too, and only had 1 year above .914

So like even if swayman comes down a bit, he's still Jake oettinger. If he stays where he is he's among the nhls best.

If he improves a bit then he is in the vezina conversation annually.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
He's right on the cusp, in my view. Definitely significant stretches of elite play. If he maintains high end play as a starter this year, it'll be impossible to argue he's not in that upper echelon.

Reactions: PaulD and Score08

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Unless you're talking about one of the top, top goalies in NHL history, most goaltender's resumes tend to be built on 2-4 distinct seasons.

Even Pekka Rinne, who had an excellent career, had as many negative GSAA seasons as positive ones.

I think Swayman is pretty good and a decent bet to give you some good years, but unless he ends up being a first-ballot Hall of Famer, he probably ends up having like 3 great years, 4 ok years, and 4 bad years. That's most goaltending careers.
I think Rinne was the one of the most interesting careers of that generation of goalies. He had a real peak, valley, peak, valley type of career.

Was a really good, probably elite goalie until he was around 30., He may have had a ho-hum season or two early on when he was young, without having his numbers in front of me.

Then he goes and has a couple of pretty poor seasons in a row to start his 30s. I think those coincided with his hip issues. Then he has a comeback season in 14-15 (I think that was the year?) and is a Vezina finalist. Then he follows that up with yet another mediocre season in 15-16. I remember thinking he was one of the more overrated goalies in the league around that point, as most people were just ranking him high on reputation, a reputation that seemed pretty dated by that point.

But then he went on to have 3 pretty good seasons in a row after that, which included his only Vezina win when he was 35.

He fell off after that stretch, but he was old by that point.

After the late career resurrection I remember people like being like ''You said he was bad tho!'' well he was, but then he resurrected from the dead and a had a consistently good 3 year stretch after a pretty poor 3 out of 4 year stretch prior.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If I had to pick, I’d say flash in the pan just based on the overall numbers, not anything specific to him. So many goalies can be great briefly. Very few are consistent throughout a career.

Wouldn’t be shocked for it to go the other way either. Somebody’s got to.

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
Bruins are probably trying to convince him that he'll be better off if he plays 50 games a year in the regular season and saves the energy for the playoffs. And for that, he's gotta give up a little bit on the contract to fit in money for a better backup.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
not sure how 4 seasons constitutes a flash in the pan.

2020-21: 10 games, .941, 10.0 GSAA
2021-22: 41 games, .914, 7.3 GSAA
2022-23: 37 games, .920, 15.3 GSAA
2023-24: 44 games, .916, 16.4 GSAA

And the 2x he was the starter in the playoffs he had a .911 and .933 sv%
Can you really count 10 games as a season?

Reactions: tTheVeganWoofMate

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Unless your Don Sweeney trying to keep Swayman's cap down...

How many goalies in the last few years have basically came from University/Juniors and stepped right onto an NHL team?

Pretty rare for a goalie to skip the AHL or play in higher Europe leagues before coming over and make the jump to the NHL.
Yes, I know he played some AHL games. Half were when Rask tried to comeback and they had to send someone down.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I’ll go with elite, since he’s not a flash in the pan. He’s very good, but didn’t have that option.
But goalies are voodoo now,

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland

I may recall incorrectly, but Rinne had hip issues and a nasty divorce.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad