Speculation: Is Jack Edwards ok?!

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I haven't watched enough Bruins games this year because I just haven't had to chance. But when I have, Jack has sounded off. Not sure how to put it, but I'm sure everyone here knows what I mean.

I have no issues listening to Jack, in fact I have enjoyed the duo of Jack and Brickley over the years. But, this year sounds different. Is he ok? He is stumbling on words and sentences way more often, going often on tangents, etc.

I've seen people saying he's drunk, to people saying it could be a speech disorder.

Any idea?
He’s always been like this. He’s had numerous controversies over his career. He’s one of very few broadcasters that regularly make news for some off based comment every couple years. He’s definitely been getting worse, but it’s not like this is anything new for Jack Edwards either.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
This x1000. The guy's name is Big Rig and he's listed as 238 lbs on the roster so imo, it is fair game to comment on. We also have no idea what the relationship between the two is like so perhaps Jack was just doing a poor time conveying something Maroon has joked about in the past.

If you think that is fat shaming then you need to get out more.
Also he didn't even call him "fat" was just talking about his eating. I am not a Jack fan, but Servalli is a tool

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Chara drank coke for a hot minute during round 1 of the 2011 playoffs because he had a raging flu and the coke was to get sugar and energy into his system as fast as possible. He dinking regularly drink it during games.

also, is ok to say put some "Chinese Mustard" on it in 2023. One of my favorite sayings back in youth hockey and to this day is "PUT SOME MUSTARD ON IT NEXT TIME" .... Not sure if the "chinese" part is needed.
Isn't chinese mustard just more spicy. This isn't commentary on Chinese people or their characteristics, it was literally adding some spice to an old saying. If he had done it with an accent or somehow added something more, I could understand the concern, but otherwise I think we are just overthinking it. I mean we can still talk about French Fries too.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Isn't chinese mustard just more spicy. This isn't commentary on Chinese people or their characteristics, it was literally adding some spice to an old saying. If he had done it with an accent or somehow added something more, I could understand the concern, but otherwise I think we are just overthinking it. I mean we can still talk about French Fries too.
Well we did have to rename monkey pox m pox so who knows what's offensive anymore?

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
He’s always been like this. He’s had numerous controversies over his career. He’s one of very few broadcasters that regularly make news for some off based comment every couple years. He’s definitely been getting worse, but it’s not like this is anything new for Jack Edwards either.

Hey turn it into something good. Nothing wrong with that. I hope Jack donates, though I am not sure how egregious his words were. Incoherent, yeah that is happening, but I never really thought of him as disrespectful or a bully. Just wild and zany, and now unfortunately wild and zany with declining wit and acuity.

Reactions: Gordoff and CDJ

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Meanwhile, shots fired.

Frank Seravalli is like a goody two shows running and yelling “Mooooooooooooooommm, Jack is saying mean things again….”. Couldn’t wait to get a tweet out to show how caring he is of hockey players who might be heavy.

Frank why don’t you comment on the Hockey Canada investigation — show us how outraged you are about potential sexual assault issue?

Stupid comment by Jack but Frank this makes you look like a sycophantic kitty kat. Apologies to kitty kats everywhere. You are lovely. Really. No offense intended.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
So he's been known as Fat Pat since he was 7 and they call him big rig, but don't dare says he's big on the air because that's fat shaming LMAO.

They used to talk about how Chara drank coke on the bench IIRC...was that health shaming and if some why didn't anyone say anything?

^that questions isn't directed at you BTW
Chara drank coke on the bench once when he was recovering from an illness that saw him drop a decent amount of weight. Wasn't really a reoccurring thing.

Reactions: Gordoff

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
1. Like many of you I'm worried that Jack has a health issue. He is struggling at times to speak clearly. Whatever it is I hope he will be all right.

2. I've been fat all my life and I thought what Jack said about Maroon was funny. People need to chill with the self-righteousness, they don't come across as being the morally superior people they seem to think they are. Quite the contrary.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
yeah if that was fat shaming, well this world is more sensitive than I thought, which seems near impossible.
I find what you just wrote to be extremely extremely offensive. Can’t tell you why. Frankly, I don’t know why. I just know that I’m offended and that’s good enough for me.

• Haha
Reactions: Gordoff

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Also he didn't even call him "fat" was just talking about his eating. I am not a Jack fan, but Servalli is a tool
Exactly. Jack even said that his weight is listed on the roster. People make fun of Kessel all the time and no one bats an eye but Edwards makes an innocuous comment followed by a number of compliments and now he's fat shaming Pat Maroon.

Being upset about this and not the Hockey Canada scandal comes as no shock. Can't bite the hand that feeds.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I haven't watched enough Bruins games this year because I just haven't had to chance. But when I have, Jack has sounded off. Not sure how to put it, but I'm sure everyone here knows what I mean.

I have no issues listening to Jack, in fact I have enjoyed the duo of Jack and Brickley over the years. But, this year sounds different. Is he ok? He is stumbling on words and sentences way more often, going often on tangents, etc.

I've seen people saying he's drunk, to people saying it could be a speech disorder.

Any idea?
I don't think he is drunk.

IMO he sounds like he has had a small stroke . I worked with a man who sounded like this and he had a stroke.

This is a guess, but I am quite sure it isn't that he is drunk

Last edited:

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Has anyone ever found out if Jack reads this board, because I'm about 80% sure that he must at least lurk from time to time with his love for all things Bruins and twitter activity and such (which is why I'm trying to be careful with words and not over-speculate). I know Dale used to post here way back in the day.

I have no clue about these boards but he's been on the Bruins subreddit a handful of times. He's done a couple AMAs and he's even participated in the game threads when NBC was calling the games. I remember him calling Malkin a whiny child in one of them :laugh:

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

seeing others say this is Maroon putting a positive spin on this and I can see that, but the fact that the man himself framed it as a mental health/bullying/body image issue kind of implies that he was at least a little offended by Jack's comments.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
seeing others say this is Maroon putting a positive spin on this and I can see that, but the fact that the man himself framed it as a mental health/bullying/body image issue kind of implies that he was at least a little offended by Jack's comments.
He’s repeating the words people on social media are tweeting at him when responding to the story. He’s trolling the fake outrage and Jack in general

KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Aug 2, 2005
MA
why is it weird? his whole job is to speak publicly and he has clearly been struggling with that. It's perfectly reasonable to wonder why, especially when it has been a fairly rapid decline. I don't think the speculation is malicious in nature.
I don't know. People throwing out alcoholism, aphasia, strokes. Yeah he's got a public facing job but he's a real person. It's just weird to me.

Reactions: HustleB

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
I see it more as him telling people who are outraged on his behalf to put up or shut up.

If you care as much as you say you do, do something about it. they're all frauds, the whole sanctimonious lot of them.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I mean there’s a long history of Pat Maroon being called fat. Well known that he used to be called fat Pat and he been vocal that it’s bothered him in the past. Now Jack edwards comes out just calling him fat again. It’s one thing to make a weight comment but to keep going on about it the way he did was over the top.

So what if he’s offended. What Jack Edwards said was offensive.

Reactions: pearljamvs5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad