Is it time for Lou to get his walking papers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
whos a good GM out there to replace Lou once he's gone?

We need a cap wizard to unravel this mess. The assistant GM in Pitt Botteril is adept in that regard. At minimum, it's probably going to 2 years to right the ship from an organizational stand point. Realistically 3 with the right guy.

Loyal Lou

Oct 25, 2013
Rutherford
whos a good GM out there to replace Lou once he's gone?

This is me but I'd love to see...

ken-daneykojpg-e6927d64945d479d_large.jpg

Mr. Devil himself

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Excellent point. You will find a large portion of posters talking about how they loved the signings and how this roster has the most depth of any teams in recent years.

I was one of those people and I still believe this team is not playing to its capabilities

Since the consensus now wants Lou fired and considering the consensus all praised Lou over the summer, maybe we should just ban them as similar compensation since they agreed with what he did?

Seems fair, no?

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Excellent point. You will find a large portion of posters talking about how they loved the signings and how this roster has the most depth of any teams in recent years.

i loved the moves and still do. this is a good team when healthy, but they cant play the system (yet, anyway)

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
i loved the moves and still do. this is a good team when healthy, but they cant play the system (yet, anyway)

Besides Ryder and that fair two year contract, I didn't see any move that could help us beyond this year. Jagr is 41. Clowe was breaking down and declining BEFORE he signed long term with us. Brunner had to tryout for Christ's sake. No one in their right mind should have thought these 4 players were going to replace Kovalchuk and Clarkson who were much closer to their primes.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
We need a cap wizard to unravel this mess. The assistant GM in Pitt Botteril is adept in that regard. At minimum, it's probably going to 2 years to right the ship from an organizational stand point. Realistically 3 with the right guy.

no we don't

we're going to have plenty of cap space next year with Zidlicky, Jagr, and Marty all gone. plus the cap potentially going up.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
no we don't

we're going to have plenty of cap space next year with Zidlicky, Jagr, and Marty all gone. plus the cap potentially going up.

That's assuming ownership wants to spend near the ceiling after they get shell-shocked with the reports of dwindling revenue. They can't continually spend money like Toronto and Vancouver.

Last edited:

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
I'll save plenty some embarrassment, but go take a look back at how many of those knocking Lou now were on their knees at his doorstep this summer

Who cares? I loved a lot of the moves Lou made this summer mostly because I thought we looked like a playoff team for this year and wouldn't be forced to give up a top 10 pick. It hasn't worked out that way but my liking his moves at the time doesn't excuse this fact that he's the one paid to figure this **** out.

Other than the Schneider trade, which I would still say was a great move, we never came close to addressing the long term issues that have been developing with this roster for several years. The Ryder and Brunner deals looked like great signings short term to hopefully avoid giving up a top pick. Hardly reason to say he's doing a great job. In the end, it adds up to an underperforming team that has one of the oldest rosters in the league, some good defensive prospects that we hope pan out despite a coach that is notoriously bad with young guys, no top pick in the upcoming draft and a franchise goalie that we hope doesn't bolt next summer. I think it's more than fair to say it might be time to look at a replacement.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

My thoughts exactly. I think they can get the hang of it, and it is starting to get there, but we need to be healthy too. JJ and Tedy are not ready to fill in the holes left by Zajac and Elias this weekend.

Nothing they really did, I liked what I saw of Tedy yesterday actually, but they need more protected time.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Who cares? I loved a lot of the moves Lou made this summer mostly because I thought we looked like a playoff team for this year and wouldn't be forced to give up a top 10 pick. It hasn't worked out that way but my liking his moves at the time doesn't excuse this fact that he's the one paid to figure this **** out.

Other than the Schneider trade, which I would still say was a great move, we never came close to addressing the long term issues that have been developing with this roster for several years. The Ryder and Brunner deals looked like great signings short term to hopefully avoid giving up a top pick. Hardly reason to say he's doing a great job. In the end, it adds up to an underperforming team that has one of the oldest rosters in the league, some good defensive prospects that we hope pan out despite a coach that is notoriously bad with young guys, no top pick in the upcoming draft and a franchise goalie that we hope doesn't bolt next summer. I think it's more than fair to say it might be time to look at a replacement.

So in sum, it's easy to be a genius after the fact

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I've looked back at past drafts and after the first ten picks, it really was slim pickins. Take a look at the 2007 entry draft as an example. After Ryan McDonough, there's almost nobody.

Part of it is being a victim of success. I can't expect Lou to find EVERY needle in the haystack. Furthermore, prospective top tier FAs rarely make it to free agency anymore.

Pittsburgh, Boston, and Chicago were terrible for more than 5 years. You've seen how they've drafted well simply because they've had the top picks for a while, now they have top end talent and have championships to show for it.

Do I expect Edmonton to do the same, eventually, if they teach their kids to play defense.

We've been spoiled with the greatest goalie of all-time and one of the best assistant coaches in the world (Larry). He's trying to keep hockey relevant in NJ.

We all thought he had a great summer. Lou needs to bring in a coach to find to work with these players. But it's clear that these players don't want to play for DeBoer.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
My thoughts exactly. I think they can get the hang of it, and it is starting to get there, but we need to be healthy too. JJ and Tedy are not ready to fill in the holes left by Zajac and Elias this weekend.

Nothing they really did, I liked what I saw of Tedy yesterday actually, but they need more protected time.

I don't understand, when Josefson and Tedenby aren't playing everybody on here screams for Pete to put them in. Then, when they do get a chance, all of a sudden the feeling is that they need to be protected.

Which one is it?

How about we all just come to the inevitable conclusion, Invisifson and Tedenbust are NOT NHL PLAYERS.

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site

I don't know, that's what Columbus claimed when then hired Scott Howson. Can't you just have an assistant GM that is considered the "capologist." Besides, you don't need to be an accountant to figure out that your going to overpay when you're constantly forced to patch holes through free agency.

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site

No, if I were the GM, I would fire me too but I'm not the one paid to build an adequate roster.

As pointed out, it's more the accumulation of years of bad moves. One offseason that looked like it might cover the deeper problems until at least after we served the draft pick penalty hardly absolves him of doing a marginal job for close to a decade.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
No, if I were the GM, I would fire me too but I'm not the one paid to build an adequate roster.

As pointed out, it's more the accumulation of years of bad moves. One offseason that looked like it might cover the deeper problems until at least after we served the draft pick penalty hardly absolves him of doing a marginal job for close to a decade.

To use a great analogy, it's like trying to wallpaper over a 10 x 10 hole in your living room wall. The massive hole has not been repaired. That's the Lou creed. No rebuild.....EVER. Even when you're sitting with a crap hand.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010

Once again, none of what has gone on in the past decade you could have seen beforehand - after we lost Stevens, Dano and Nieds, we were done for, after we started off the post-lockout horribly and our star contracted hepatitis, we were done for, when we lost Gomez and Rafalski, we were done for and so on and so on

Most of what has gone on in the past decade are results that many teams in all sports wish they could do

We've been spoiled with consistency in a positive way, now when the going is getting tougher than what we're used to, you want to just say **** it throw it all away? No Lou's never done that and it's why he's remained one of the most successful GMs in sports history while plenty of others have been shown the door because they've tried to rebuild and prolonged the struggles

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Spitballing but possible replacements-
Joe Will-San Jose Sharks assistant GM

Julian Briesbois- Tampa Bay Lightning assistant GM

Jason Botterelli- Pittsburgh Penguins assistant GM

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013

Lou won't be fired I don't think. Man will leave on his terms. On some level it is quite deserved.

I fear that the next GM will be his son.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Lou won't be fired I don't think. Man will leave on his terms. On some level it is quite deserved.

I fear that the next GM will be his son.

Lou will never be fired. He's bigger than the organization. But if it gets bad enough, he will retire. The first nail in his coffin will be the draft pick forfeiture.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
They can politely ask him to resign. I don't want Chris here just because he's Lou's son and is the Albany GM. It's not like Albany does well enough to warrant Chris being the GM.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Gotta love the irony of the man who says "no one is bigger than the organization" actually being bigger than the organization :laugh:

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Someone in management for the Sharks could possibly work. The Sharks are probably the second best run organization in the league IMO. They've definitely passed us in our downfall. They're also right up there in terms of actually developing talent. San Jose hasn't missed the playoffs since 02-03 and that's the only time since 95-96. Not bad for a team that came into expansion in 91. They've also managed to get real lucky with later round picks, though Couture was picked 9th overall in his year.

CKPLAYA

Ping Pong Ball Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2009
Parts Unknown

Not with me. There's no doubt I've been the villain in almost every post I've made about the front office and personnel decisions made over the last few years. I'll say it again, you gut the whole front office. You start at the top and work your way down. The scouting department included. No one is spared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad