Is it time for Lou to get his walking papers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York
It goes way beyond just losing those two. Some of the posts on this page do a great job of summarizing what a marginal job he's done for the last decade.

I know what your saying, but you also have to realize that even with all of that, this team did get within 2 games of a Cup just two years ago.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I know what your saying, but you also have to realize that even with all of that, this team did get within 2 games of a Cup just two years ago.

sadly that looks to be a fluke more than anything.

we are about to have 3 of 4 seasons out of the playoffs.

RandoDoomer

Apr 6, 2007
Bridgewater, NJ

This is often thrown around and I'm starting to think that run will end up hurting us in the long run. I think it fooled a lot of us, management included, that the team was better than it was, and could possibly withstand losing some key players and be fine. With the larger sample size, that year certainly is starting to look like a fluke. Marty was God, 4th line came out of nowhere, etc.

Missed the playoffs the year before and the year after (and probably the year after that).

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York
I guess it's possible that it was a fluke, but I do think that if we had Kovy, Parise, Clarkson this season would not be nearly as bad. Not saying that we would be in first place either, but we would be a lot better. I think a lot of the success was due to Oates and Robinson and now they are gone.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

I’m starting to think the cup finals run is going to wind up doing more harm as a band-aid than good. there were positives (fan base) but look how that’s working out now. its like everything this team touches turns to ****.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
sadly that looks to be a fluke more than anything.

we are about to have 3 of 4 seasons out of the playoffs.

How is it a fluke when the team lost 3 of its biggest offensive threats since then?

How would you expect the Pens to be if they lost Crosby, Malkin, and Kunitz or if the Hawks lost Toews, Kane, and Sharp all within a calendar year if the just made the finals?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This is often thrown around and I'm starting to think that run will end up hurting us in the long run. I think it fooled a lot of us, management included, that the team was better than it was, and could possibly withstand losing some key players and be fine. With the larger sample size, that year certainly is starting to look like a fluke. Marty was God, 4th line came out of nowhere, etc.

Missed the playoffs the year before and the year after (and probably the year after that).

I said this in another thread but let's be honest...we never got another chance to find out how good that team really was. The two building blocks of the team AND a genius staff were all essentially gone before we played another game (Kovy came back in body only for 35 games).

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
so now our coaching staff is 'genius', robinson was god-like…jeepers. youre giving them too much credit. we got hot at the right time, and we went to the finals. thats all it ever really takes.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Elias himself called it the best staff he ever played for, that's good enough endorsement for me.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I said this in another thread but let's be honest...we never got another chance to find out how good that team really was. The two building blocks of the team AND a genius staff were all essentially gone before we played another game (Kovy came back in body only for 35 games).

Yea I didn't even take the coaching staff departure into account in my post above either

Heading into last season I wasn't sure how we'd fare, but heading into this one I was sure we'd be fine and I was actually excited for this season more than I had been for one in a few years - we'd lost guys like Stevens, Dano and Nieds all within a short time period and moved on with little issue shortly thereafter so we'd be fine this time I figured as well with some nice looking additions

You can't call the finals run a fluke because of the turnover from players to personnel that took place in just a single calendar year

Adam Oates is running a team/PP and having plenty of success with it when he did not here (and after many other PP coaches of ours haven't either), Robinson is self explanitory

RandoDoomer

Apr 6, 2007
Bridgewater, NJ

True. It just seems like people use the "but, but, we were 2 wins away from a Cup" to excuse Lou et al of the mismanagement that's gone down since.

But back to the thread title, I don't know if Lou should get axed. The general buzz on these boards was pretty positive after the draft day trade and post-IK FA signings last summer. We haven't really had a chance to see a healthy roster yet. (*trying to be positive* :help:)

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I'll save plenty some embarrassment, but go take a look back at how many of those knocking Lou now were on their knees at his doorstep this summer

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I was one that said Lou had a decent summer. and I think he did the best he could've. I don't blame him for Kovalchuk leaving.

but I do blame him for the past near decade of ineptitude.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'll save plenty some embarrassment, but go take a look back at how many of those knocking Lou now were on their knees at his doorstep this summer

Definitely some, but I am not knocking him yet.

I am still in complete wait and see mode on this season. There isn't much that can be changed right now anyway, and I still think this can gel. We need to have a good November though.

There are some core problems, but there are some wacky uncontrollable stuff too. Just wait and see for me at least.

Loyal Lou

Oct 25, 2013
Rutherford
If you notice most of the recent stanley cup champions were built through the draft. Actually I think Lou has said that building through the draft wins cups. We are now seeing how bad the Devils have drafted since 2003.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
If you notice most of the recent stanley cup champions were built through the draft. Actually I think Lou has said that building through the draft wins cups. We are now seeing how bad the Devils have drafted since 2003.

been saying this for years.

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
Wait and see? What? How much worse it can get with a stubborn coach and gionta losing every offensive zone faceoff? **** needs to change. He always says its a business but he runs it like a country club. No wonder the kids lose time. Caddying is srsss bssssnsss

CKPLAYA

Ping Pong Ball Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2009
Parts Unknown
:handclap:Now maybe we can have a constructive thread about the organization.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Hopefully, the draft pick penalty is so embarrassing (say top 5) that Lou is forced to retire. Kill 2 birds with one stone. Then bring in an exec under 40 to bulldoze and start over,

CKPLAYA

Ping Pong Ball Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2009
Parts Unknown

Excellent point. You will find a large portion of posters talking about how they loved the signings and how this roster has the most depth of any teams in recent years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad