Is it time for a Canadian only professional hockey league?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Bettman isn't the reason why Canadian franchises are failing to put together winning rosters. Toronto keeps doubling and tripling down on a loser core, Edmonton has failed to do anything with their stars. Hell Edmonton got 4 1st overall picks in a short amount of time-if Bettman had it out against Canada he's done a lousy job.

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
It's an impossible idea and you took it way too seriously.

"Go ahead and try it" :laugh:

Like I said, chill
You think I took it seriously at all? I think it's absurd and ridiculous which was why my response was so CLEARLY in jest.

Lol. "Way too seriously." Ok.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Stop embarrassing us. Stop crying.

Signed all Canadians
Sadly this is not the first time we have had this thread.

Theory vs reality. Could Canadian based teams compete with the US teams at signing players?

Also how would games work?

Say we have teams in
Vancouver
Edmonton
Calgary
The Peg
Toronto
Hamilton
Ottawa
Quebec
Montreal

Do you play the other teams 5 or 6 times a year? Wouldn't fans get bored quickly?

Canadians need something to bitch about

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Pretty sure the Canadian Hockey League is not in charge of giving out passports. How would Canadian players play in international events without a passport? Also, do you realize how authoritarian that sounds? WOW! :facepalm:
Sounds like something Canada or China would approve.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
I say this as a Canadian: No. Get the f*** over it.

Canadian franchises are notorious for being mismanaged and you're surprised they haven't done anything?

acor

Jan 13, 2012
So, basically the question is is it time for another minor league? No, we got plenty of them...

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
You know if you add a year, you can throw the three New York teams (Buffalo, Rangers and Islanders) along with the 90 mile down the New Jersey Turnpike Philadelphia Flyers to this proposed league. Of course the Flyers and Rangers are kind of different financial wise from the Sabres and Islanders.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Yes but I’m saying take that energy and apply it to the junior leagues as a whole. Sure they sell some tickets in small barns for 30 CAD a game or whatever, but have it be the lead story of Sportscentre, have people whose job it is to say if Saskatoon or Red Deer have what it takes to go deep, debate which coaches need to get fired. All that stuff. Make junior hockey feel like pro sport-lite outside of just the world juniors and the memorial cup and you won’t feel so deprived.

I've always said how much of a shame it was that the CHL isn't as big here as the NCAA is in the US. We up here have the biggest junior league in the world and we here in Canada take it for granted because we are to busy yearning for the good old days of the NHL.

The media here should be covering the Memorial Cup like March Madness

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
FYI to fans from Canada: the state of Washington also has no income tax but they supplement that with a very high sales tax while having a high cost of living. At least where I live, there is a sales tax of 10.1%.

If state taxes were the only factor in determining where UFAs would go, then all of the UFAs would go to Florida, Texas or Nevada. But they don't because it's a nonsense suggestion.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I still genuinely can't believe that there are actually Canadians who get so upset about no Canadian teams winning the Cup that they make an issue out of it every single year.
This is something Hockey Night in Canada cultivated as a ratings ploy

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I've always said how much of a shame it was that the CHL isn't as big here as the NCAA is in the US. We up here have the biggest junior league in the world and we here in Canada take it for granted because we are to busy yearning for the good old days of the NHL.

The media here should be covering the Memorial Cup like March Madness

To be fair Canadians give about a billion times more attention to the CHL than the USA gives to NCAA hockey.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
30 years without a Canadian team winning, 7 Canadian teams.

It's going to be at least 210 years before every Canadian team will win a Stanley cup.

We just want something to cheer for
I’m cheering for Vegas. Maybe you can watch hockey and decide what teams you like.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
i say this because i feel with bettman calling the shots, i don't see canadian nhl teams have a chance to win..

i believe its time for canadians to create their own professional hockey league just like the CFL...

in this professional league, the salaries will be lower and the ticket prices will be affordable for families...

i say to canadians let the NHL go with its pro american business mindset...and embrace a new league that will cater to hockey crazed canadians..
I love pretty summer threads. lol

Dec 29, 2004
I find it interesting that there is an assumption that the Canadian NHL teams would leave the NHL and form this new league. Owners don't tend to make rash moves that devalue billion dollar assets.

Last edited:

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
I still genuinely can't believe that there are actually Canadians who get so upset about no Canadian teams winning the Cup that they make an issue out of it every single year.
Well hey at least the obnoxious media takes it up and runs with it....they should seriously read the room...no true Canadian fan wants anyone but their TEAM to win the cup.....now when it comes to the extinct best on best tournaments....

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
In this league, do all the players have to be citizens of Canada? Can naturalized citizens play? Do they have to play for their hometown team? Should the Canadian government force players into the Canadian military so the best players cannot leave to play in the NHL? Just to be safe, should the Canadian gov't just pass laws that prevent all Canadians from leaving Canada because if they do they may eventually have their own children who will be good hockey players?

That’s sports dude. The Chicago Bears haven’t won since 1985, you don’t think Bears fans want something to cheer for? Vancouver got very close in 2011, Montreal lucked their way into a Finals appearance recently, and if Toronto/Edmonton had better management they’d be fighting for Cups perpetually this decade. It isn’t Bettman’s fault that the Leafs torched their rebuild with Tavares or that Chia/Holland can’t put talent around McDrai, or that Vancouver makes bad decision after bad decision for the last 12 seasons.
Maybe it is time for the Bears to leave the NFL and start a professional league for just the state of Illinois?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad