Is it time for a Canadian only professional hockey league?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
this is why 'canadian fans' look like fools when spouting the "bring the cup home" crap.
I think it's anxiety over the fact that in general (1) hockey's importance in Canadian popular culture is dwindling compared to 20-30-40-50 years ago and (2) Canada's overall dominant position in the international hockey landscape is being challenged by the U.S. in particular.

Both things play into some core Canadian issues that exist independently from hockey : (1) the fear of being swallowed and assimilated by its bigger neighbor, a fear that's existed basically since the American war of independence and (2) the fact that it's difficult to define what makes Canada Canada and defines its culture, an issue increasing in emotional relevance as the demographic makeup of Canada is being drastically altered.

BardownMagic

Oct 13, 2022
Rent Free
As a Canadian this gives me mixed emotions. I would love to have a league where you legitimately believe that the officiating you are witnessing does not have the mandate to promote sunbelt teams by giving them more leeway on calls, essentially allowing them to cheat. Or when arguably the biggest american market happens to win a generational talent (not to me, just the consensus) in a lottery it is legit. Or any other number of issues.

But giving up the best viewing experience at the professional level? Tough sell. I can fully get on board with becoming more of a junior/ncaa/cis hockey fan, though. There is only so many hours in a day/week and I am not going to subjugate myself to a crap product out of a sense of tribalism for the local team. The NHL is the most tribal league out of all the big four and if there is an inherent disadvantage for my team, well that sure hurts the probability of my fanaticism.

After McD and Drai are no longer oilers I will likely tune in to the NHL for can’t miss games. Think crosby vs ovi 2008. Other than that, as a fan of a canadian team it seems the investment of time, emotions, and money has a better return in alternative leagues/levels.

Reactions: Dunkysaur

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Meaning what?
You are calling someone else entitled.

I think it's anxiety over the fact that in general (1) hockey's importance in Canadian popular culture is dwindling compared to 20-30-40-50 years ago and (2) Canada's overall dominant position in the international hockey landscape is being challenged by the U.S. in particular.

Both things play into some core Canadian issues that exist independently from hockey : (1) the fear of being swallowed and assimilated by its bigger neighbor, a fear that's existed basically since the American war of independence and (2) the fact that it's difficult to define what makes Canada Canada and defines its culture, an issue increasing in emotional relevance as the demographic makeup of Canada is being drastically altered.
The first bolded portion has not happened.

The second bolded portion A truly American way to look at it. What defines the USA's culture at the moment anyway?

Beard of Gudas

May 23, 2023
Serious question. Why hasn't a Canadian team won in now 30 years? My thoughts/theories:

1) # of teams. Occam's Razor here - it simply comes down to the fact that there are a greater number of American teams in the league. Less Canadian teams = less chance of winning the Cup.

2) Pressure. Please try the following thought experiment: switch Florida's 2022/2023 roster with Toronto's 2022/2023 roster. I seriously think the Florida Maple Leafs make the Conference Finals if not the Cup Finals, while the Toronto Panthers probably don't make the playoffs at all. Did anyone care in South Florida when the Panthers were looking like a lottery team in December and January? I'm sure some fans did, but the noise around the market was not 1/10 of what it would've been if the Leafs were performing like that. There's simply far more pressure in Canadian markets, especially since the internet, smart phones, and 24/7 news cycles. I do think this plays a massive role in Canadian teams not winning.

Thoughts/feelings/theories?

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
I don't think any of the Canadian teams are particularly well run.

Leafs and Oilers are only where they are right now because of high draft picks over many years.
Kind of like all of the other teams? Most teams have to suck and get high picks in order to start winning.

They are certainly not the most well managed teams. That’s for damn sure

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
1. There are more American teams.
2. Hard to win when your ownership and management never have patience and always try to "win now"

• Haha
Reactions: Coffees

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Serious question. Why hasn't a Canadian team won in now 30 years? My thoughts/theories:

1) # of teams. Occam's Razor here - it simply comes down to the fact that there are a greater number of American teams in the league. Less Canadian teams = less chance of winning the Cup.

2) Pressure. Please try the following thought experiment: switch Florida's 2022/2023 roster with Toronto's 2022/2023 roster. I seriously think the Florida Maple Leafs make the Conference Finals if not the Cup Finals, while the Toronto Panthers probably don't make the playoffs at all. Did anyone care in South Florida when the Panthers were looking like a lottery team in December and January? I'm sure some fans did, but the noise around the market was not 1/10 of what it would've been if the Leafs were performing like that. There's simply far more pressure in Canadian markets, especially since the internet, smart phones, and 24/7 news cycles. I do think this plays a massive role in Canadian teams not winning.

Pressure is such a bullshit argument

Ask the Lakers about pressure.

Ask the Yankees about pressure

Ask the Celtics, Red Sox and Pats

Ask the Cowboys about pressure

Ask any soccer team in Europe about pressure where players damn near fear the fans because Riots WILL start and people WILL die.

pressure is an excuse they jul haven't been good enough

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't think any of the Canadian teams are particularly well run.

Leafs and Oilers are only where they are right now because of high draft picks over many years.

No team becomes good without high picks.

Even Tampa the best team in the last 10 years needed Stamkos and Hedman.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
How many of the Canadian franchises are regarded as owned by smart, patient organisations that understand the need for strong rebuilds and hire good people instead of their mates?

I suspect that's where the answer starts.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Occam's Razor, management issues, and bad luck, mostly. There are additional one-off factors, like Montreal artificially limiting their talent pool by unofficially requiring bilingual leadership, or Eugene Melnyk being undercapitalized for an NHL owner in the modern era, but in 4 of the 6 Cup finals since 1993 featuring a Canadian team, they lost 4-3. A couple bounces go differently in those series, and we're not having this conversation at all.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad