Is Czech Republic a top nation again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
This is probably the first time ever I’ve heard Messier as one of the glaring omissions from the 1998 Olympics, and there have probably been a hundred threads on that topic since Canadians love to pick apart that roster and that loss for all eternity. Zamuner was there over a bunch of great scorers due to being propped up as a superb grinder (despite the season in particular not being a great one for him) and having put in time with Team Canada in the world championships, Bourque was picked for the shootout, Gretzky didn’t make the shootout, Canadians were unfamiliar and unprepared for a shootout, Lindros was made captain over Gretzky, they had too many good centers so a few played out of position, Sakic and Kariya were out with injuries, Crawford was a crap coach, Clarke was a crap GM, etc, etc, think I’ve heard every explanation for Canada’s disappointing 1998 tournament, but no Messier I believe was a first.

Lemieux having retired disqualifies the Czech win as a best-on-best accomplishment?

Has any team ever won a true best-on-best by your logic, doesn’t the Canadians for instance always leave a few players who’d make any other national team at home, due to being stacked at center?

When was there ever a true best-on-best win in your opinion? The 1972 Summit Series lacked Orr and Firsov, Lemieux was out for the 1991 Canada Cup, Forsberg was out for the 2002 Olympics, and Patrick Roy declined participation because he wasn’t guaranteed to start, Nylander was snubbed and Näslund injured in 2006, but Finland on the other hand saw Kiprusoff who was the best goaltender in the world at the time withdrawing due to injury. At any rate, can you take 2006 seriously when Team Canada was so incompetently constructed and snubbed Crosby who was already playing like a top 5 forward?

2014, Sweden snubbed Hedman, brought on Tallinder, and had none of their top three centers playing the finals. For my money, there’s never been a best-on-best played, and every notion of a top team ever is pure speculation.

I don’t know if you deserved me putting this many words in responding to your dense post, as I’m pretty sure you’re just trying really hard to be a dick.
Best post I've read for a long while. I thank you.

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
Czech Republic never was a non-top nation. They had their decline but things are slowly turning better. At least I hope so, we need them among the gold medal contenders.

Reactions: unkempt

unkempt

Oct 19, 2006
Long story short OscarOscarius is a half-baked troll. Let’s not feed him any more.

Reactions: Svedu

member 305909

Since we're not going to see Russia for a long time, if ever, back I hope the Czechs improve from their recent not so good years. The sport needs them.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
No idea but sounds about right.

You would almost have a point. If the subject matter of the thread wasn’t ELITE NATION. And Czech republic was never nr1 hockey nation.
I didnt evaluate czech “nation”, I reacted to absolute nonsense that Russia dominated hockey in 90s and early 00s.
No idea but sounds about right.

You would almost have a point. If the subject matter of the thread wasn’t ELITE NATION. And Czech republic was never nr1 hockey nation.

Wulfgar

Feb 28, 2012
I don think there is a 2002.to 2006 argument for the czechs. 2005 is when it all fell apart.

1998 to 2001 is the argument. Anything after 2002 and we are big 6. Anything after 2005 and we are completely out of the running.
Actually, everything after 2006 Olympics...that was the last time we were a serious contender for gold in the best-on-best tournament. The core was pretty old, but Jagr (34 year old) was arguably still the best player in that time (123 points in 05-06) and Hasek was having an insane season as a 40-41 year-old in Ottawa. Unfortunately, he got injured early in the 1st match.

The team also had some problems with the coach (Hadamczik), apparently. They won a bronze medal game against Russia basically without a coach, as the team didn´t allow him to enter a locker room. :D

After this tournament, our "gold generation" has ended with a few exceptions, like Jagr...and the results since then were all but impressive.

It´s great to see some good results this year (also counting bronze at "Skoda cup"), but I don´t think we will ever be that powerhouse we were 20 yeras ago. But best-on-best is just one match at a time, anything can happen, we are still ablee to make a pretty solid team there. Hopefully, 2026 Olympics will be finally with NHL players again.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Actually, everything after 2006 Olympics...that was the last time we were a serious contender for gold in the best-on-best tournament. The core was pretty old, but Jagr (34 year old) was arguably still the best player in that time (123 points in 05-06) and Hasek was having an insane season as a 40-41 year-old in Ottawa. Unfortunately, he got injured early in the 1st match.

The team also had some problems with the coach (Hadamczik), apparently. They won a bronze medal game against Russia basically without a coach, as the team didn´t allow him to enter a locker room. :D

After this tournament, our "gold generation" has ended with a few exceptions, like Jagr...and the results since then were all but impressive.

It´s great to see some good results this year (also counting bronze at "Skoda cup"), but I don´t think we will ever be that powerhouse we were 20 yeras ago. But best-on-best is just one match at a time, anything can happen, we are still ablee to make a pretty solid team there. Hopefully, 2026 Olympics will be finally with NHL players again.
Hope so... By then we should have hronek and some very good young D's with dostal established. It's our D that hurt us we got some gems on the way..not saying they all make it but, like out goalies, a lot of volume
Hronek
Spacek
Svozil x 2
Jiricek x 2
Glavas x 2
Kral
Jiricek
Krutil
Zboril
Hajek
Badinka

We need 6 of these guys to succeed and become top 4. Then we are back imo

And the only Czech in Czech hockey I cannot stand is hadamczak!!!

Since I'm on it.lol. We have 7 NHL goalies and about 12 more drafted and developing and put undrafted goalies include dybal, suchanek and Hrabal. Same thing.. need 3 out of about 20 to take off.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
They didn't have the depth to be as consistently competitive at the junior level, but if you look at the players they produce at the senior level I never doubted they were not part of the top 6 group if you consider the players they have to fill the top 12F, 6D and top G positions at a tournament.

I would not consider it a major upset at all if their best team beats Canada in an elimination game - ok, perhaps a minor one.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I think Czechia has always been number 6 (at least in the last 20 years ish). But they were being challenged by Solvakia, Switzerland and Germany more than they were challenging the top 5. This year this seem to have changed!

But at the same time it could simply be a result of all weaker nations becoming better.

Last edited:

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I desperately hope that this is not just random strong year and it is going to continue, so we can be top 3 hockey nation again as we were in the past. It is looking like there is going to be another strong years with Galvas, Jiricek, Benak, Badinka etc, seems like czechia is on the road to become D powerhouse, fingers crossed.
I got to watch Galvas a few times in person and he’s so underrated. Good player.

Reactions: Czechboy

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
You can't be serious dude, Czechia had 80+ players in NHL in those times and tons of fantastic players in Europe. We could build 5 teams and all of them would be gold medal candidates. If that is not elite, then i dont know what is...
Well not anymore. You cant say Czechia is good anymore. And there is no prospects coming up. Slovakia/Germany/Switzerland/Sweden have surpassed Czechia.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
@GettingYourMoms You are laughing at my post. Lets hear your argument what makes Czechia a bigger hockey nation than Sweden atm. Lets have a civil debate and act like adults. Sweden has more and better players in NHL than czechia. Sweden has more golds and medals than Czechia last 10 years in WC,best on best, u18, u20.

more drafted players also. and swedish league is stronger than Czech league.

So what is your argument that Czechia is better than Sweden at every level as you always say? you even said in one post that Sweden only has 1 good player, Raymond.

Last edited:

xyzed

Jun 25, 2012
@GettingYourMoms You are laughing at my post. Lets hear your argument what makes Czechia a bigger hockey nation than Sweden atm. Lets have a civil debate and act like adults. Sweden has more and better players in NHL than czechia. Sweden has more golds and medals than Czechia last 10 years in WC,best on best, u18, u20.

more drafted players also.

So what is your argument that Czechia is better than Sweden at every level as you always say?

From what I read, It doesn't seem like he is an adult. Or just extremely immature IDK. That being said Slovakia, Germany, Switzerland did not surpass Czechia (or in what exactly?) and Sweden has almost always been better then Czechia

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Well not anymore. You cant say Czechia is good anymore. And there is no prospects coming up. Slovakia/Germany/Switzerland/Sweden have surpassed Czechia.
Sorry man but Slovak hockey is in even much deeper hole than Czech hockey. Also, Switzerland and Germany are definitely not better. Sweden is currently better, that's for sure.

Reactions: Goodman68
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad