Is Connor Mcdavid a "tier above" Sidney Crosby as a player?

Is Connor Mcdavid a "tier above" Sidney Crosby as a player?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I view Crosby's career as an upgraded version of the tier guys like Yzerman and Sakic were in. Whereas McDavid is knocking on the door of guys like Gretzky and Lemieux but not quite there. In a nutshell, this is what I see:

Gretzky/Lemieux tier
McDavid
Crosby
Yzerman/Sakic tier

McDavid is better, but I would say it's still somewhat comparable for now.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
If you look at his ppg throughout his career Crosby clearly started to decline in his late 20s and wasn't the same player by the time Benn was the Art Ross.

He had supposedly one of the most dominant wins just the season prior to his first finish behind Benn of all players. Crosby was only 27 and 28 when he finished behind him for two seasons in a row, as well as Tavares, and absolutely ripped apart by Kane who was just a year younger.

No, these are just excuses made for a player who never quite unlocked that next gear, though most seem content to believe that he did.

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
If Crosby is so incredible at winning, how come he hasn’t won a round in 6 years? Why hasn’t he ever come close to matching Mcdavid’s playoff production? Don’t say it’s because he’s more engaged defensively because Mcdavid has had more takeaways than Crosby every year in the playoffs. Mcdavid is not only lapping Crosby in the playoffs offensively, but he is also better than Crosby defensively.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
If Crosby is so incredible at winning, how come he hasn’t won a round in 6 years? Why hasn’t he ever come close to matching Mcdavid’s playoff production? Don’t say it’s because he’s more engaged defensively because Mcdavid has had more takeaways than Crosby every year in the playoffs. Mcdavid is not only lapping Crosby in the playoffs offensively, but he is also better than Crosby defensively.

Exactly! It is almost like this a team game....And there is only so much a star player can do. Hence why leadership, intangibles etc. is a very flimsy argument used for players.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
The problem with ranking McDavid a tier above Crosby is that this tier belongs to guys like MacKinnon, Draisaitl, Kucherov etc. (at least this is how people usually rank these players), meaning that you'd have to treat Crosby as equivalent to them. And while I believe that playoff-Draisaitl is the only player in the last 25-30 years who can keep up with McDavid (and he statistically is), he doesn't play on this level through the full 90-100 games and hence can't be mentioned as an equal.

Things change over time. McDavid can be ranked in a separate tier from Crosby, who can also be ranked in his own tier separate from the players you mentioned. Crosby very well possibly heads a list of eight or so players all-time who grappled for the #5 spot before McDavid won the Conn Smythe (or for those not convinced yet, he will put a stranglehold on by the time he has completed his 12th season).

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
that’s like saying McDavid could focus on defense and win a selke if he wanted to, but instead he had to score and get his team in a playoff spot.
Sure in a way I do agree, McDavid is impossibly great offensively, the guys our generation of Gretzky. But, if you think Crosby didn't sacrifice pure offense to back check and play defense in the playoffs to win you know you're kidding yourself. And I think McDavid is that great he could focus on his defensive game and win a Selke lol, he randomly started shooting more and won a Rocket Trophy, he's so great I think he could do it

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Sure in a way I do agree, McDavid is impossibly great offensively, the guys our generation of Gretzky. But, if you think Crosby didn't sacrifice pure offense to back check and play defense in the playoffs to win you know you're kidding yourself. And I think McDavid is that great he could focus on his defensive game and win a Selke lol, he randomly started shooting more and won a Rocket Trophy, he's so great I think he could do it
Well, he didn’t. The “defense” he started gaining notice for coincidentally came around after his scoring dipped.

You can try to rewrite history all you want. Crosby was deployed and used mainly for offense. He didn’t “sacrifice” anything for defense.

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Well, he didn’t. The “defense” he started gaining notice for coincidentally came around after his scoring dipped.

You can try to rewrite history all you want. Crosby was deployed and used mainly for offense. He didn’t “sacrifice” anything for defense.

Of course, he was the best offensive player in the league, but he played a different brand of hockey then when he first came into the league, in the playoffs, to win. You think the best offensive player in the league couldn't lead the playoffs in scoring if he cheated out of the zone and didn't play to win but rather for numbers? Come on. I cannot believe I'm arguing on behalf of Sidney Crosby lmao, but it's true.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Dude's almost 37, bro. And, no, he's not better than Crosby defensively... come on.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
If Crosby is so incredible at winning, how come he hasn’t won a round in 6 years?

20220517mfpenguinssports01-1681938781.jpg

Was cool to see the Oilers fire their Mike Sullivan, but when Mario sold the team to a Boston conglomerate... Well, winning suddenly wasn't as important as scamming the fans like the other 2 Pittsburgh sports team's model has been. And Boston Boy Sullivan has had free reign to square peg/round hole this team until he's basically indistinguishable from Mike Tomlin (who has not won a playoff game since 2016, and never will again, but newly extended contract). God, it's incredible how people gush over these loser coaches... And these loser GMs..... I don't even know who's the worst GM in Pittsburgh, but they all are portrayed like geniuses despite no accomplishments...

Sid just tied the most points ever from a player entering the season at 36 years old, despite being on a team with a historically bad power play. He was dominant 5 on 5. It's pretty much universally agreed upon that if Crosby wasn't who he is then this year's pens would have been a bottom three team. I honestly wish Sid wouldn't sign an extension and move on. He gave this city 3 cups it didn't deserve and owes us nothing. This team is in a downward spiral and it sucks to see a top 3 player of all time spend the twilight of his carer drowning in the Bob Nutting sports-business model replica.

But ya. As for McDavid, he doesn't have the balls to win a cup. And that's fine. there is plenty of prestige and dignity in being McRegularSeason.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
He's old now?

That's a crazy thing to say with Letang on the team.
Letang didn't play the second half of the season or the playoffs

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
He's old now?
He still never had a playoff run at the same level of Mcdavid this year, and he also was not able to come close to Mcdavid’s dominance year for year. Projecting Crosby’s partial season’s over a full 82 is also irrelevant because other players like Stamkos would have great numbers those years as well.

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Of course, he was the best offensive player in the league, but he played a different brand of hockey then when he first came into the league, in the playoffs, to win. You think the best offensive player in the league couldn't lead the playoffs in scoring if he cheated out of the zone and didn't play to win but rather for numbers? Come on. I cannot believe I'm arguing on behalf of Sidney Crosby lmao, but it's true.
It’s pretty straight forward, Crosby didn’t sacrifice anything for defense. He won those championships with his offense and was a key contributor to all three.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
If McDavid is better than Crosby, show me Connor's name on the Cup, especially after posting a historic postseason run, winning the Conn Smythe, and losing the Cup mainly because he didn't show up when the team needed him the most. You can't be the greatest player and let "lesser" players beat you.
How did the penguins win in 2009 when Sid was scoreless in games 5,6 and 7?

Why, in 2008, when Sid had 4 points in game 4,5, and 6 did the penguins lose?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
20220517mfpenguinssports01-1681938781.jpg

Was cool to see the Oilers fire their Mike Sullivan, but when Mario sold the team to a Boston conglomerate... Well, winning suddenly wasn't as important as scamming the fans like the other 2 Pittsburgh sports team's model has been. And Boston Boy Sullivan has had free reign to square peg/round hole this team until he's basically indistinguishable from Mike Tomlin (who has not won a playoff game since 2016, and never will again, but newly extended contract). God, it's incredible how people gush over these loser coaches... And these loser GMs..... I don't even know who's the worst GM in Pittsburgh, but they all are portrayed like geniuses despite no accomplishments...

Sid just tied the most points ever from a player entering the season at 36 years old, despite being on a team with a historically bad power play. He was dominant 5 on 5. It's pretty much universally agreed upon that if Crosby wasn't who he is then this year's pens would have been a bottom three team. I honestly wish Sid wouldn't sign an extension and move on. He gave this city 3 cups it didn't deserve and owes us nothing. This team is in a downward spiral and it sucks to see a top 3 player of all time spend the twilight of his carer drowning in the Bob Nutting sports-business model replica.

But ya. As for McDavid, he doesn't have the balls to win a cup. And that's fine. there is plenty of prestige and dignity in being McRegularSeason.
Sidney toewsby

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
i don't know how to answer the question other than this:

Oilers fans are desperate to tell you how much better than Sid McDavid is.

Penguins fans don't give a f*** about the Oilers or McDavid. I do find it weird how much of your own self-worth you guys attach to McDavid. Given that, I can understand why all the losing you guys do makes you extra salty.
At this stage in their careers no one is talking about Sidney Crosby unless hes being compared to McDavid.

Pens fans most definitely give a f*** about McDavid, they were desperately cheering for the Oilers to lose so that Sid could still have that one thing that McDavid doesn't.

It really doesn't matter. These conversations are stupid now and will look even stupider 10, 15 or 20 years from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad