Is Cale Makar a generational talent?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
When it comes to generational talent I expect to see some kind of noteworthy precocious talent years before the player reaches the NHL, especially in these days when it's so easy to share information. Makar isn't that, but he does look like he could potentially become the best defenceman in the NHL and that's not so bad.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
He's only finished two seasons but 94pts in 101 GP is beyond impressive. Also not to mention 31 pts in 35 playoff games. Not many defenseman put up those numbers this young, not even a rookie Erik Karlsson. So that makes me ask if you consider him to be a generational talent?

Yes, without a doubt.

However there are too many trolls from HP* Boards here, so it will take a decade or two before it gets generally acknowledged.

*Hockey's Past

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
2015-2018 drafts have a LOT of good young D. As good a group as I can remember coming in at the same time since the 80s/90s golden era.

But young defenseman development curves are not always linear. Makar is a play driver that can put up points, and he plays a lot of minutes with some real elite talent. He isn't as good in his own end as several of his contemporaries (Miro, McAvoy or Fox for starters) and his offensive numbers aren't head and shoulders above his contemporaries either. Even some one like McAvoy who is viewed more as a defensive two way guy only had one fewer 5 on 5 point than Makar last season.

It's entirely too early to be asking this question.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
No, and let's wait until he wins at least one Hart trophy before we start discussing it.

That's an unfair bar don't you think?

Dmen seldom win the hart perhaps in part to voters thinking that the Norris already exists.

I don't like the term generational talent but instead think that the start of Makars NHL career is in the top 1% of Dmen in history and that's simply exceptional.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Adam Fox won the Norris, Victor Hedman is generally considered the best defenseman in the game and someone is asking if Cale Makar is a generational talent???

Quick name the Dmen in the NHL who had a better start to their first 2 NHL season or first 3 years in the playoffs or by age 22?

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Adam Fox won the Norris, Victor Hedman is generally considered the best defenseman in the game and someone is asking if Cale Makar is a generational talent???

Everyone is aware Makar runs away with the Norris if he didn’t miss 12 games, right? That he was an easy 2nd place while missing 20% of the season is kind of insane.

The generational stuff is a bit of a reach right now but he I think it’s entirely plausible he’s this generation’s Karlsson which is pretty high praise.

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
For a league with a "talent shortage crisis" it sure has a lot of players being questioned as generational.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Everyone is aware Makar runs away with the Norris if he didn’t miss 12 games, right? That he was an easy 2nd place while missing 20% of the season is kind of insane.

The generational stuff is a bit of a reach right now but he I think it’s entirely plausible he’s this generation’s Karlsson which is pretty high praise.

A conveniently overlooked fact for people that view a player as nothing special if they don’t win a major award.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
A conveniently overlooked fact for people that view a player as nothing special if they don’t win a major award.

Generational players win major awards, franchise players don’t or win one or two.
There are very few generational players.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Generational players win major awards, franchise players don’t or maybe win one.

See above for my thoughts on generational players. That’s McDavid.

Just seems weird to dismiss Makar’s chances at being the top defender of his generation. Not saying it’s going to happen, but it’s certainly possible with the way he’s started his career.

Reactions: I am toxic

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
See above for my thoughts on generational players. That’s McDavid.

Just seems weird to dismiss Makar’s chances at being the top defender of his generation. Not saying it’s going to happen, but it’s certainly possible with the way he’s started his career.

Okay now we agree, that’s why I said not now, but could get there with some Norris wins.
Yes Karlsson won 2 and finished second twice.

SUX2BU

Average user of an average team
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Generational

200w.gif

Reactions: Rabid Ranger

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
A generation is considered a 20-30 year period, is Makar one of the best defenceman over the last 30 years? No

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
That's an unfair bar don't you think?

Dmen seldom win the hart perhaps in part to voters thinking that the Norris already exists.

I don't like the term generational talent but instead think that the start of Makars NHL career is in the top 1% of Dmen in history and that's simply exceptional.
No, generational means best player of a generation. That needs to be reflected through things like Hart and Lindsey wins. It should be blatantly obvious multiple times they are the best player in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad