Is Cale Makar a generational talent?

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Those are EK65 numbers, actually. EK65's U22-U23 seasons he had 92 points in 99 games. Practically identical ppg's, Makar played in seasons that had an increase of ~.26 gpg compared to the ones EK65 played in, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
I’d say he has the potential and if he continues to develop he’s on the right trajectory.

For example Mike Green had two consecutive seasons over PPG. Hes had a great career overall but I don’t think he’s in the discussion as top Dman from his era.

Not saying Makar is Mike Green, just need to hold off anointing these titles after a short sample size.

chauron

Jan 5, 2014
No, I don’t think he’s clearly better than rest of the players of his generation.

Unless we make the scope smaller and speak of ”generational defenseman” but that waters it down a lot. He can become the latter if he continues to develop further.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Lidström was closest to being generational since Orr. But I agree.

If Lidstrom is not considered generational, then you have to seriously debate whether Crosby/Ovechkin/McDavid should be considered generational. You really cannot have any defensemen that qualify as generational in the future if Lidstrom is not considered to have reached that level.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Given that the media hypes 1-2 generational players every draft then yes he is. To be serious though he is the best d man to come into the league since EK and if he keeps it up he will be the second best player in the league as soon as next season and that’s pretty good as no one is going to de throne Mcdavid for at least another 5+ years.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Given that the media hypes 1-2 generational players every draft then yes he is. To be serious though he is the best d man to come into the league since EK and if he keeps it up he will be the second best player in the league as soon as next season and that’s pretty good as no one is going to de throne Mcdavid for at least another 5+ years.

Do you really believe this?

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Man he is so f***ing good. Its unfair that the avs have mack and makar at the same time.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Way too early to tell and probably shouldn’t be discussed until the twilight of his career. Really depends on if he can continue to elevate himself even more than he already is over Hughes/Fox/etc.

I do think Makar is considerably better than his defensive peers and could challenge MacKinnon for the best player on the Avs real soon.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
That’s how these things work. They’re not predetermined.

I dont think they are saying its predetermined. Just that if multiple people are in the running for "generational" then they haven't actually separated themselves from each other and thus none of them are generational.

It should be almost self evident that a player is generational, if there is confusion about it, then they probably weren't.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I dont think they are saying its predetermined. Just that if multiple people are in the running for "generational" then they haven't actually separated themselves from each other and thus none of them are generational.

It should be almost self evident that a player is generational, if there is confusion about it, then they probably weren't.

Like I said before, the only true generational talent is McDavid.

But, if you’re expanding to ‘generational defenceman’ then sure, Makar has a shot at that. It’s pretty hard to completely separate from the pack in two seasons. These are things you have to look back at ten years down the road.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I heard his mother was.

Seriously, it would be great to end the use of a word that has become nothing but a cliche.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
He has a damn good start, but still too early. If he maintains this level of play or even plays better for the next decade + you can probably say he's generational. But still extremely early, some guys have massive drop offs later on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad