Is Cale Makar a generational talent?

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
and if he was he would be completely ignored like Mcdavid outside hardcore fans.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Why do we have to try to slap “generational” tags on players? Why can’t a player be just elite and leave it that? It doesn’t matter whether he is or isn’t. He is pretty elite, and that’s all.

Reactions: Hitemwith4

chauron

Jan 5, 2014
How many generational talents you think there is if Makar is one? There’s hardly one in the whole NHL and that is McDavid. Crosby is no longer on that level, neither is Ovie.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Generational talent =/= Generational career

I'd argue E. Karlsson has (had) the former, but not the latter.

People are saying that Makar benefits from playing with an All-Star cast; however, I don't find him overly reliant on his teammates. Makar isn't deferring the puck and getting phantom points or anything. Sure, he might have less points, but Makar would perform just as well on a weaker team.

Reactions: wetcoast

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Generational talent =/= Generational career

I'd argue E. Karlsson has (had) the former, but not the latter.

People are saying that Makar benefits from playing with an All-Star cast; however, I don't find him overly reliant on his teammates. Makar isn't deferring the puck and getting phantom points or anything. Sure, he might have less points, but Makar would perform just as well on a weaker team.

You really think so? You think he would play as well on say Vancouver where he would have very little insulation?

Reactions: flying v 604

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
You really think so? You think he would play as well on say Vancouver where he would have very little insulation?

He's a very responsible player in my opinion. Made Ryan Graves look much better beside him.

He might be a little young to deal with a team strategy built entirely around shutting him down though.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
If Lidstrom is not considered generational, then you have to seriously debate whether Crosby/Ovechkin/McDavid should be considered generational. You really cannot have any defensemen that qualify as generational in the future if Lidstrom is not considered to have reached that level.

Lidstrom isn't generational, he didn't win his first norris until he was like 30. Generational players come in right away and let you know they are generational, and outside of bobby orr, generational players have all played center for obvious reasons.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Too early still but if he wins at least 3 Norris in the next 5 year it can be a discussion.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Isn't this statement probably true of every single man, woman, and child in the world - if they win at least three Norris in the next five years, we would discuss them as generational?
How many of them finished 2nd in the Norris voting in his second season? Yea Fox won the Norris but if someone pointed a gun at your head and asked you who wins the Norris next year you’d be stupid to not say Makar. Vegas odds reflect that.

Is it that crazy to think Makar could win the Norris, Cup and gold medal all next season?

Kelevra

Mar 6, 2007
Lidstrom isn't generational, he didn't win his first norris until he was like 30. Generational players come in right away and let you know they are generational, and outside of bobby orr, generational players have all played center for obvious reasons.

Lidstrom was generational, he dominated for such a long time. He peaked late but so did Hasek and he was generational too.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003

I disagree with your logic. Seven Norris trophies, one Conn Smythe, ten times as an all NHL First Team member, and twice as an all NHL Second Team member qualifies Lidstrom as one of the most transcendent players in the post-expansion era.

But that may just be me.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Erik Karlsson looked like a generational Dman at one point but then he started trending down before he even reached age 30.

That said Makar looks like the best Offensive Dman right now.
Some guys play at a generational level but yea, good point. Duration and consistency are a huge part of that.

That said, now I'm thinking: if McDavid retired tomorrow we'd all still know he was generational. I don't think anyone would think that of makar outside his biggest fans

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021
I am not a native speaker of English so maybe I have misunderstood this term 'generational talent'. The talent to my understanding means in hockey if the player has *talent* to be great. Whatever the generational means I do not have a clue. Talent is not based on your achievements. It is based on the expectations based on the talent. Player's work ethics, teams he plays in etc. will decide how succesful the career will be. The most talented guy ever may not win anything during his career because of circumstances.

Makar is a very talented defenseman, but in his age group there are quite a few very talented defensemen like Heiskanen, for example. With a term "talented" above rest of the age group I am thinking players like Crosby and Ovechkin, who were supposed to be better than anyone else. And both were - in there talent areas. Malkin is in the same group talent-wise in my rating.

McD is the only one heads above everyone talent-wise at the moment and was when he started his career.

Reactions: AvsCOL

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Lidstrom was generational, he dominated for such a long time. He peaked late but so did Hasek and he was generational too.

Hasek won the Hart 3 times, so did Orr. These are generational players. The Norris is a huge reputation award, as amazing as lidstrom was he just wasn’t generational. He played during Mario, Crosby, and Hasek era of players who were generational, and you can see where the gap that separates the Lidstroms from the Lemieuxs, the gap is noticeable.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Makar couldn't have a better D partner than Devon Toews. They both make each other look that much better. Wouldn't surprise me if Makar puts up 90pts next season.

Reactions: wetcoast

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Part of the issue with any discussion regarding a "generational" player is that it is not clearly defined, so everyone essentially brings their own interpretation into the discussion.

Realistically, we probably only have four players in NHL history that would indisputably qualify as "generational" (Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux, Howe).

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Unless he becomes a legit hart contender against McDavid for the foreseeable future, I can't justify labeling him one. I don't see him hitting that level of dominance

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Isn't this statement probably true of every single man, woman, and child in the world - if they win at least three Norris in the next five years, we would discuss them as generational?

Yes, and I'd imagine that's the point.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
I’d hope a Generational talent would at least be the best player on his own team for the absolute minimum to start some sort of discussion

cant say that here

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Calling someone generational shouldn't be given so easily. He is a great young defenseman but he hasn't shown anything to be talked about being generational.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
How many of them finished 2nd in the Norris voting in his second season? Yea Fox won the Norris but if someone pointed a gun at your head and asked you who wins the Norris next year you’d be stupid to not say Makar. Vegas odds reflect that.

Is it that crazy to think Makar could win the Norris, Cup and gold medal all next season?
It doesn't help your point when immediately after you need to try and discredit Fox for doing something Makar hasn't yet. Just saying.

If anyone wins 3 of the next 5 Norris' they will be on their way to being generational. Hedman is closer to generational than Makar is IMO. He's the total package

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Hasek won the Hart 3 times, so did Orr. These are generational players. The Norris is a huge reputation award, as amazing as lidstrom was he just wasn’t generational. He played during Mario, Crosby, and Hasek era of players who were generational, and you can see where the gap that separates the Lidstroms from the Lemieuxs, the gap is noticeable.
To be fair Lemiuex and Gretzky have a gap on the rest of the Generational talents. They sit at the top on their own.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad