Is Bettman plotting for a 36-team NHL?

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Bettman is neither god-king of the NHL nor some sort of cunning schemer in the dark, he is the commissioner. And it's really embarassing that quite a few people still haven't understood that and blame him for everything they can think of.

There is nothing in this report which indicates that the NHL is even thinking about expansion right now. Bill Daly being quoted as giving a vague statement about Atlanta probably faring better if they got another chance than the last two times is nothing beyond an empty gesture. The kind of stuff you say if someone asks you such a question. What else is he supposed to say? "no, the city sucks and will always be a failure"?
When you are in such a position, and get asked about such a hypothetical, you reply with non-committal pleasentries, because there is no advantage in giving a negative answer.

IF the NHL will go with another wave of expansion, it will be because the owners as a whole want it. They are the ones who call the shots, and if they decide to opt for further expansion, then Bettman, or whoever follows him, will go in front of the press and try and sell it to people, because that's the job of the commissioner.

Reactions: 333359

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
The NHL is a business, no more, no less, and the franchises are only responsible to their investors -- not the fans, not the culture, not humanity generally. What you describe is a problem for the Canadian government, not the NHL which is expected by its investors to rigorously pursue it own selfish self-interests to the very limits of what is allowed by law.

Everything you have said here is correct, but what I describe is not just a problem for the Canadian goevrnment. Canadians are the economic engine for any major stake holder in the sport of hockey; they contribute substantially to the bottom line of the NHL, the broadcasters, and the equipment manufacturers alike. The phenomenon I described wont show up on the discounted cash flow analysis, the financial statements, or the corporate investor presentations of any one stakeholder because it is a long-term, macro-level trend. And if there is a long-term decrease in the cultural relevance of hockey in Canada that translates to a reduction of participation as I stated before, you can bet there will be case studies presented in any reputable business school about how the NHL made strategic decisions that ignored their traditional market. There are already many such cases presented for normal every day business.

But how is the NHL actually at fault? The problem with the Canadian teams not winning Cups is solely on their owners, who happen to be Canadian themselves (unless you think that Canadian teams should be gifted Cups every so often just to inspire the kiddies). Then, there are other factors that have caused declines in Canadian youth hockey, not the least of which is soaring costs of the youth leagues that limit participation to only the more affluent families and the growing popularity of youth soccer.

Everything you've listed here is not the NHLs fault. But an important lesson only some people learn in life is that something can be not your fault, but still your responsibility to address. Costs of youth hockey and emergence of soccer is not the NHLs fault. But if they don't take responsibility and address it through their influence and capabilities, then they risk capturing as much of the entertainment market share from future generations as they currently enjoy now.

Reactions: Salsa Shark

Salsero1

Nov 10, 2022
Everything you have said here is correct, but what I describe is not just a problem for the Canadian goevrnment. Canadians are the economic engine for any major stake holder in the sport of hockey; they contribute substantially to the bottom line of the NHL, the broadcasters, and the equipment manufacturers alike. The phenomenon I described wont show up on the discounted cash flow analysis, the financial statements, or the corporate investor presentations of any one stakeholder because it is a long-term, macro-level trend. And if there is a long-term decrease in the cultural relevance of hockey in Canada that translates to a reduction of participation as I stated before, you can bet there will be case studies presented in any reputable business school about how the NHL made strategic decisions that ignored their traditional market. There are already many such cases presented for normal every day business.

Everything you've listed here is not the NHLs fault. But an important lesson only some people learn in life is that something can be not your fault, but still your responsibility to address. Costs of youth hockey and emergence of soccer is not the NHLs fault. But if they don't take responsibility and address it through their influence and capabilities, then they risk capturing as much of the entertainment market share from future generations as they currently enjoy now.
What do you expect the NHL to do? Award the cup to each Canadian team for the next 7 years? Arbitrarily relocate American teams to Canada with no ownership groups to pay for them, arenas/leases to play in? I'm sorry, but Canada's inferiority complex and hardon for the US isn't the NHL's problem to solve.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Get ready to pay double digit millions for an above-average starting goaltender and third line centers who are good at faceoffs.

Andre Palot

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
There's a bunch of markets that would probably make sense in the US.

Wasn't Kansas City pushing for a team at one point?
Could probably put another team in Ohio (Cincinnati, Cleveland?)
Houston as you pointed out.
Portland would be a nice rivalry for Seattle
OKC
Milwaukee would make more sense over OKC.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
If the nhl continues to expand. Might as well go bigger and bigger. Look at doing relegation like Soccer and get rid of the salary cap. Owners need to pony up. Not get funded by other teams like Arizona.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
All the owners.

Attachments

• 7b0d1c06-70d4-4f0f-a502-c5f5cdb19c51_text.gif
    7b0d1c06-70d4-4f0f-a502-c5f5cdb19c51_text.gif
    327.6 KB · Views: 3

Salsa Shark

Sep 1, 2009
Jersey
Not in 2024 they don't. Corporate money is very important.
Atlanta metro has only gotten more populous since 2013 by numbers Canadian metro areas can't dream about. To your point: Mercedes Benz moved their North American cooperate HQ from NJ - more of that corporate money.
It’s the idiotic scheduling. Get rid of cross-conference games… awful start times, against teams no one wants to watch. Actually play your division games a meaningful amount of games instead of the pitiful 4 times a year.
Rangers Isles playing 4 times (1 of which is outside in Giants Stadium) is an absolute joke. It will be St Patrick's day before the Rangers and Islanders face off inside an arena. That's unfathomable

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
32 seems to be the perfect number for the NFL, NBA, and MLB

The NFL elected to stay at 32 when they finally went back to LA, and MLB has said they will expand once Oakland and Tampa Bay issues are resolved which appears on track.

The NBA wants a team in Vegas and the Red Sox seem to have the insight track to get that franchise as when you look at the lead investors of Fenway Sports Group one name leaps out.

1704321738169.png

The NHL has teams in 4 Canadian cities (Ottawa, Winnipeg, Edmonton abd Calgary) that have zero chance of getting a team in the other 3 leagues. That is why I believe 36 teams is the target.

Reactions: smithformeragent

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
LeBron James would have to retire from the NBA or sell his stake in ownership.

Easy conflict of interest case for lawyers everywhere if he's playing and owning a team at the same time.

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
LeBron James would have to retire from the NBA or sell his stake in ownership.

Easy conflict of interest case for lawyers everywhere.
LeBron is close to the end of his playing career.

James hating Boston is nothing new. It's just interesting that someone who is a partner of Fenway Sports Group, and is thus part owner of the Boston Red Sox, rips on the city any chance that he gets.

It's safe to say that the feeling is mutual among Boston fans.

FSG wants an NBA team badly

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Atlanta metro has only gotten more populous since 2013 by numbers Canadian metro areas can't dream about. To your point: Mercedes Benz moved their North American cooperate HQ from NJ - more of that corporate money.

Rangers Isles playing 4 times (1 of which is outside in Giants Stadium) is an absolute joke. It will be St Patrick's day before the Rangers and Islanders face off inside an arena. That's unfathomable

It's in a nice new building near my house. My neighbor works there. She always has a nice car to drive.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
i am hoping for utah houston.. quebec and kansas city.. i hope they do not give atlanta a 3rd team ugh.. salt lake city would be super cool in my opinion could be my new west coast favorite team :D
Salt Lake City will definitely be getting a team next expansion. The Kings are the leagues expansion test team. Look at the Kings with their preseason schedule. They have had frozen fury in Vegas for years then Vegas got a team. Now frozen fury is played in SLC so they will be the next to get a team. In 2024 they will play preseason games in Quebec City, so they will get a team. They were also one of the first teams to play in Sweden, Germany, England, China, and Australia. The NHL uses the Kings as test dummies

Reactions: hockey20000

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
32 seems to be the perfect number for the NFL, NBA, and MLB

The NFL elected to stay at 32 when they finally went back to LA, and MLB has said they will expand once Oakland and Tampa Bay issues are resolved which appears on track.

The NBA wants a team in Vegas and the Red Sox seem to have the insight track to get that franchise as when you look at the lead investors of Fenway Sports Group one name leaps out.

View attachment 795293

The NHL has teams in 4 Canadian cities (Ottawa, Winnipeg, Edmonton abd Calgary) that have zero chance of getting a team in the other 3 leagues. That is why I believe 36 teams is the target.

If the NBA wants a team in Vegas, they are extra stupid. The taint of the UNLV scandal still exists. The reason why hockey can work in Vegas is because Vegas is particularly devoid of normal family entertainment for the people who work there so they would accept a sport other than the big three and because hockey is notoriously difficult to bet on and shave points on.

Basketball on the other hand is by far the easiest to cheat on (due to the number of scoring opportunities and the fact there are so many fouls) and to shave points on. While the players may make too much to care to cheat, the refs...

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I am all for expansion, the league has enough talent to do so and it'll likely generate more revenue
The #1 team in the NHL currently has Vesey, Goodrow, Bonino, Pitlick, and Brodzinski in its lineup. I question whether there is enough talent for 36 compelling teams.

Reactions: Nineteen67

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Im never gonna see my team win a cup in my lifetime. Gotta make the playoffs and then win 8 rounds of playoffs with the league eventually having 50 teams lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad