Salary Cap: Irrespective of playoff result, would you trade Nylander in the offseason?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Trade Nylander this offseason

• Yes

Votes: 134 49.1%
  • No

Votes: 107 39.2%
  • Wait one more season

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • Re-sign as soon as possible at a cap number around $8M-8.5M

Votes: 17 6.2%

• Total voters

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Just throwing out a scenario here. If Nylander has an outstanding playoff (72 Canada-Russia series Paul Henderson level) so he scores at a point a game clip and scores the Stanley cup winning goal...do you trade him???

Reactions: geo25 and ToneDog

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
I think the comparison to Kessel is somewhat on point. Some people are wired differently, they march to their own drummer, regardless of the outside noise attempting to get them to conform to set ideals. Hockey has a culture that asks of a player certain things, and giving a shit through effort is one of the most important aspects as to how a player is viewed by the hockey world at large. The 'I'd go to war with that guy' mentality is bred into players from the get go, and the level of respect a player receives from the community is largely based on how well that player conforms to that ideal. I'm not sure Kessel or Nylander possess that mindset, at least not to the degree that a grinding 82 game season requires. Once the 'boredom' of the regular season is over, we've seen the driven play both are capable of offering, which benefits the teams they play on, but I suspect drives the fans, the coaches, and I'd guess their team mates crazy. It's just so different from the accepted norm.

In the end, you can catch fire in a bottle as Pittsburgh did with Kessel, but it's a short lived flame. Perhaps, the Leafs will do the same with Willy come these playoffs, he is that talented a player. But, I don't see him as a long term Leaf because I perceive his mentality to be so different from what I believe a team needs to be successful. Then again, wtf do I know :rolleyes:
I'd say a lot, this is an insightful dissertation.

Reactions: Stinger8 and meefer

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
For a brief period of time, the other night, Tavares played like his job was on the line, and going wild in the dance with Gudas, played really well.

Was Willy on his line at the time? I dunno, I was out shopping, had to be done. But came back later.

Saw the replays and I was shocked at how aggressive Tavares was.

My point? Well if Nylander was shuffled off to another line at that point, to me, it indicates that Tavares likes Nylanders effort less than Keefe does.

I mentoned weeks ago that its been rumoured Nylander and Marner are not very chummy to say the least.

So? Find someone for Tavares and find somewhere for Nylander to play with.

Not easily done, let me assure you.

One player like Nylander can cause a coach to lose hair, wives, all kinds of things. ITs that stressful to coach guys like this.

I think Keefe going off on Nylander was another Kyle Davidson situation for Dubas. Pretty well known, by league GM's that Willy, ain't fun to coach.

And now that he is rapidly losing his hair like Alexander and his father and keeping that rat moustache, he has lost that rock star look that might have gotten an owner to tap his gm on the shoulder and say, "that blonde swedish kid will sell tickets". Willy to me, has slick talents, but he doesn't have the lateral prowess to bring anyone out of their seat.

Not me anyways. I have never really liked him, but he has tricked me, on quite a few occasions.

If he goes on a hot playoff run, then you trade him in the off season.

Always try to sell high and never sell low. Again, much easier said than done.
This was a good read with my coffee :)

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
For a brief period of time, the other night, Tavares played like his job was on the line, and going wild in the dance with Gudas, played really well.

Was Willy on his line at the time? I dunno, I was out shopping, had to be done. But came back later.

Saw the replays and I was shocked at how aggressive Tavares was.

My point? Well if Nylander was shuffled off to another line at that point, to me, it indicates that Tavares likes Nylanders effort less than Keefe does.

I mentoned weeks ago that its been rumoured Nylander and Marner are not very chummy to say the least.

So? Find someone for Tavares and find somewhere for Nylander to play with.

Not easily done, let me assure you.

One player like Nylander can cause a coach to lose hair, wives, all kinds of things. ITs that stressful to coach guys like this.

I think Keefe going off on Nylander was another Kyle Davidson situation for Dubas. Pretty well known, by league GM's that Willy, ain't fun to coach.

And now that he is rapidly losing his hair like Alexander and his father and keeping that rat moustache, he has lost that rock star look that might have gotten an owner to tap his gm on the shoulder and say, "that blonde swedish kid will sell tickets". Willy to me, has slick talents, but he doesn't have the lateral prowess to bring anyone out of their seat.

Not me anyways. I have never really liked him, but he has tricked me, on quite a few occasions.

If he goes on a hot playoff run, then you trade him in the off season.

Always try to sell high and never sell low. Again, much easier said than done.

Can't disagree but what if he outplays the 1st. line again?

Do you just go with the regular season stats?

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Just throwing out a scenario here. If Nylander has an outstanding playoff (72 Canada-Russia series Paul Henderson level) so he scores at a point a game clip and scores the Stanley cup winning goal...do you trade him???
If leafs win the stanley cup, they will keep everybody they can.

If he playing like right now get like 6 points in 7 games but cost like 7 or 8 goal because of a lack of intensity/ concentration. He should be out

He is able to elevate his intensity and played like last playoff, im fine to keep him.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
There's going to be a lot of maneuvering in the cap this off-season and I think that Nylander's play will dictate if he's moved or not because I think they can move Kerfoot's contract and get a Colin Blackwell type player back to replace his output and line construction.

Edit: If Nylander is moved, I would move a lot of pieces to get Shea Theodore from Vegas. Whatever it takes, I think that changes the dynamics of the team.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Let's see if playoff Nylander shows up again. If he does, I don't really care if he disappears for stretches in the season, we're good enough to make the playoffs. If playoff Nylander is reliable every year, there's no way you trade that away.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
You only move core pieces, if the team is unsuccessful, and you need to retool it. The assumption of trading Nylander at this point, assumes failure in the playoffs. Perhaps there are those posters who have concluded this team will fail, and are making judgements based on this, but it would be prudent to be patient, and see how this season plays out.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
The expected return is, IMO: pick between 10-15, a 2nd round pick, a cheap borderline prospect forward.

As an example: Anaheim's 1st round pick, 2023 2nd round pick and Sam Steel.

I'm not trying to pick on Nylander, but I do think decisions on the core have to be made when they have at least 2 years left on their contracts to maximize trade value.

By the way, this doesn't apply to Matthews or Marner because they are both, without argument, top 5 in their position and almost impossible to replace without another long rebuild.

Yup, I would. I hate his game. Flashes of great play, followed by LONG stretches of being completely indifferent & lazy. We won't win a thing with that guy as a core piece.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Trading him after that kind of a performance would seem to be unfathomable.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Chris Johnson says he thinks Leafs go in a different direction wrt the core this summer. Did not factor in winning or losing in the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShaneFalco

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Matthews, Marner, and Nylander have all played the same number of playoff games. Nylander has the fewest playoff points of the three of them.
That sounds bad, until you actually look at the numbers.

Four forwards have all played 32 playoff games for Toronto:

Marner: 5g 20a 25pts -1 15esp 20:50atoi
Matthews: 13g 11a 24pts -3 17esp 21:06atoi
Nylander: 10g 13a 23pts +2 20esp 17:32atoi
Hyman: 5g 8a 13pts -4 13esp 19:27atoi

So Nylander is second in goals, second in assists, and first in +/-.

He is one point behind Matthews and two behind Marner, with appreciably less ice time, and easily leads them all in even strength points.

Reactions: 1specter

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Matthews, Marner, and Nylander have all played the same number of playoff games. Nylander has the fewest playoff points of the three of them.
Why are they being compared? Marner has 25 career playoff points and Nylander has 23.

Marner makes 4M more than Nylander. He doesn't need to match Marner/Matthews production.

Edit:
Marner - 25P
Matthews - 24P
Nylander - 23P

Their numbers are so similar it's laughable that it was even mentioned.

Edit Edit: Nylander has even outproduced Marner after both had signed their RFA deals. Marner is paid far more and doesn't even have a playoff goal since 2019. The Nylander slander is ridiculous

Last edited:

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Only if we can guarantee a #1 defender by moving him. Rielly is #2. We have a bunch of second pairing defenders and never a guy that you look at and are confident that you put them out there against the best player on the ice.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Only if we can guarantee a #1 defender by moving him. Rielly is #2. We have a bunch of second pairing defenders and never a guy that you look at and are confident that you put them out there against the best player on the ice.
Nylander on his own won't get you a number 1 defenseman.

Reactions: Buds17

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I think our biggest problem is 34 mil on 3 forwards. If someone has to go it should be Marner. Which I don't like. But no other team is built this way. None. Ever. Tavares has a nmc. Matthews is Matthews. Sucks... but we're built in an unprecedented way that is proving to not work in the playoffs. It could have worked if not for the unprecedented dramatic overpayments... but we are where we are. If they go deep this playoffs that changes everything. But last chance.

Reactions: geo25

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Duh, we use salary and multiple draft picks acquired from him. If we are substracting Nylander to add another Muzzin or Brodie type you definitely do not do that.
That's most likely what will be returned so you may want to prepare yourself for some disappointment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad