Interesting Info: Part XXII (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
reality and satire are hard enough to distinguish online at this point as it is, but getting we're dangerously close to an earnest "my wife left me" post, and i don't think there's any way we can top that.

Yeah, her name was “Winnie”…I sure miss her…

The point of the comment/joke is that what I always suspected has now been confirmed. Not to mention the results I also suspected and predicted YEARS AGO would occur because of said decisions, ALSO occurred.

The only “good” out of anything is that it’s coming to light. I genuinely don’t know how or why all of this was allowed to go on for so long.

Last edited:

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
you asked how laine defenders (a position which i've found myself taking on this board) would interpret the tidbit from portzline, i answered. there's also a lot of context that you're wilfully ignoring.
tbh, your interpretation seems more like rationalization. Bolded is hilarious.
they were saying that laine wasn't a good fit in the room. i'm not doubting them.
So you agree that he was a bad fit in the room (nothing to do with on ice performance), but yet you attempt(ed) to rationalize it with on ice performances of others?
but the two loudest voices in that room (jones and atkinson) were both not in the team's plans moving forward. another (nyquist) had literally not played the entire season.
Jones, Werenski, Atkinson were around long enough to see what worked and didn’t work. How many of them wear/have worn letters now for other teams?? They knew what it took to be a playoff caliber team, and what it looked like to not be. Who cares about where they fit long term? Nyquist could be a healthy scratch every game and I would still value his opinion. Over 850 NHL games might mean something idk. “Nobody listen to Foligno, he’s not in our long term plans” - You in 2021 lmao?
there was no reason for jarmo to move laine immediately and at a loss based on his poor fit in a room that he was going to blow up anyway.
We just moved him at a much much greater loss years later (after him having great seasons according to you and others).
“they also had a soft-spoken first-time captain, two first-time head coaches and a third coach who got fired before camp after being publicly backed amid scandal by said captain.

the room was going to crap anyway, and for a ton of other reasons than "these two guys aren't particularly well-liked"
The argument was Laine was not a good fit in the room (according to Z, Jones, Atkinson, Nyquist) > which has now turned into “he wasn’t a good fit according to some bums who weren’t going to be with the team long term. AND even if he was a bad fit, the locker room was doomed to suck anyway”
Yeah that sounds like Laine fanboy logic to me :sarcasm: I’m oversimplifying your stance but come on now man..

Last edited:

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I seem to remember this coming out before and like CBJWerenski8 said, people were saying it was Portzline hating on Laine.
I hate to be all “link” and “source” at this point, especially to you, but, that’s exactly what happens to others, and I also seem to remember people getting absolutely trashed for expressing opinions or ideas similar to what Portzline is now saying.

What exactly did he say?

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I hate to be all “link” and “source” at this point, especially to you, but, that’s exactly what happens to others, and I also seem to remember people getting absolutely trashed for expressing opinions or ideas similar to what Portzline is now saying.

What exactly did he say?
I think it was this same quote. I just can't remember when it was, but I do remember it coming out and people saying it was just him and his bias against Laine. It might be in one of the old Laine threads, but I can't be certain. If I get a chance later I'll look around and see if I can find it.

Reactions: thebus88

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Well, I got abused for two years for saying Jarmo's roster management sucks. Then he got fired (finally). In the words of Torts, sometimes you just have to eat it.

Reactions: koteka

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Why leaking that now and not 3 years ago or later when both seeming headaches are finally gone?

It was reported at the time and the attitude among many fans, here but especially on reddit and elsewhere, was that Atkinson was being mean to Laine and needed to go. And then of course it was just treated as Portzline making things up, which is the stance that @cbjthrowaway is still clinging on to.

just throwing this out there but it's probably worth noting that the meeting in question here immediately preceded the following:

It's actually not relevant at all.

but the two loudest voices in that room (jones and atkinson) were both not in the team's plans moving forward. another (nyquist) had literally not played the entire season.

there was no reason for jarmo to move laine immediately and at a loss based on his poor fit in a room that he was going to blow up anyway.

but elvis + laine didn't "want out" at that point. in fact, seth jones – who was part of that meeting – had already told the team he wasn't going to stay.

I think you're getting the chronology wrong here. Jones didn't make any decision or didn't make any decision known until after the meeting (otherwise he wouldn't have been invited) and the Atkinson trade also happened after the meeting, and that trade was reported to be because of the meeting.

it was already a dysfunctional room when laine got there. the guys who built that room's culture were all on the way out anyway.

They thought there were Bob / Torts / PLD issues and the leadership structure they had built was going to survive it. They were really proud of their leadership.

Reactions: thebus88

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
After a dreadful 2020-21 season, it was hard to imagine Laine sticking around in Columbus. There were veteran Blue Jackets players who wanted him traded by management, and his performance and production were way below that of a $7.5 million player. Now those players are gone, and Laine is playing his best hockey in Columbus. Funny how life works.
It`s very interesting. Atkinson, Jones, Savard and Foligno are gone. Who was it from them?

@thebus88, I found this in the previous Laine thread. Feb. 2022. Portzline did an article for the Athletic and mentioned the meeting, but didn't drop names. Also pointed out Laine was playing his best hockey for Columbus. The post is from VT, and is post 745 of that thread, page 30 if you want to go back and find it. Not sure if the article is still accessible, as I don't have a sub to The Athletic.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
  • Porty talks about things from three years ago. But a lot has changed since then. Werenski praised Laine's readiness ahead of the 2021/22 and 2022/23 seasons. Patrik has a very good relationship with Kuraly and he has a very good relationship with Voráček. With Werenski, btw, too. I doubt Jakub and Sean would have him in the dressing room with cancer. Like every Slovak, I understand Czech very well. However, I have never read anything from Jakub other than the exact opposite, his statement... see below.
  • Atkinson, Bjorkstrand and Domi are the only former 2021 players he follows on Instagram. They his as well. He had friendly conversations with Cam at last summer's tournament.
  • And in subsequent seasons, no one has said anything wrong. And indeed they could have, many players have left, teammates could have told the insiders. But nothing.
  • Porty and those in general who hate Laine will have a feast. But until we know exactly what happened that made him not want to be here, we can't draw conclusions. And that goes for every player.
  • Also, you are underrating psychology. Any psychologist, even a neurologist will tell you that people who have psychological problems often have a different mindset. What seems normal to us can be terrifying to them, they want to run away from it, as they say in Slovakia, they make an elephant out of a fly.
  • Btw, Portzline should know that when players change jobs, they always say the same thing, how they are looking forward to the team, how a change of scenery will help them, etc.
And now that article:
"I have to admit I still have some quality on the power play, but when you take Gaudreau on one side with his 115 points and Laine with his shot... He's got one of the best shots I've ever seen, but overall he's a complete hockey player. I'd probably have trouble getting past them," Voráček mused.

Last edited:
Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
He's not wrong about the organization being a 25 year dud. Year after the year, the market is ready to explode. Every year, it fizzles - sometimes by American Thanksgiving.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I know people aren’t always that excited with any Seth Jones conversation, and I understand it’s in the past, but, with the new (or old according to some) information we now have that has seemingly “confirmed” what some people thought about the “cohesion” or “chemistry” in the locker room, that obviously still has an impact on CURRENT matters, I’m wondering if people’s strong personal beliefs on Seth Jones as a human being have changed at all, or completely??

Dude has been trashed since he was traded for not wanting to be apart of the CBJ “rebuild” or “retool”. Problem is, that wasn’t what his issue was.

I get it, move on.

That team, that GROUP, could win EVERY NIGHT. —and this is relevant to this Button dude, and more importantly, any person who calls themselves a CBJ fan that seemingly forgets JUST how respectable and good this team was with Torts for essentially 5 years…and also wasn’t that bad during some of the Richard’s years and with Hitchcock….

Last edited:

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
My opinion on Seth Jones has not changed. He played his best hockey here, but was never as great as he was touted to be. Can't blame him a bit for leaving to secure that bag.

We never felt out of it when Panarin was on the ice. Bob was always there to make a big save. And the team forechecked the hell out of every opponent.

Last edited:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Jones suffered from exactly what Rick Nash did, he wasnt naturally aggressive. Every so often he'd be pissed off and would leave you wondering where that was more often.

Nothing that has happened recently has changed my opinion negative or positive. He was a very good player who could have been great

Jovavic

Concept of a Plan
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Jones suffered from exactly what Rick Nash did, he wasnt naturally aggressive. Every so often he'd be pissed off and would leave you wondering where that was more often.

Nothing that has happened recently has changed my opinion negative or positive. He was a very good player who could have been great
They both lack passion for the game, only played because it was something they are good at

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad