Interesting Info: Part XXII (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Yes. Objectively and unequivocally.

;)
Seriously, tho, while the Charlie Brown design is awkward, it's an awkward that can be embraced, and they at least got the team colors right.

C’mon. The flag of Columbus is so important it even has a Wikipedia page.

Maybe the Jackets need a Columbus flag inspired jersey for the outdoor game. Modeling jerseys and logos off of flags - that’s how we roll in the 614.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
It's also so disliked there's an active effort to replace it.
I've never heard of such effort but I assume it is because it has the Santa Maria on it and not because of the colors. That city jersey itself was fine. It was the light blue shorts that killed it for the "we must wear black and yellow" purists. Otherwise the uniform itself was not offensive just bright. People also complained about the grey jersey too but the grey was more neutral.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I've never heard of such effort but I assume it is because it has the Santa Maria on it and not because of the colors. That city jersey itself was fine. It was the light blue shorts that killed it for the "we must wear black and yellow" purists. Otherwise the uniform itself was not offensive just bright. People also complained about the grey jersey too but the grey was more neutral.
You describe that with such disparaging terms as though it's somehow misguided. Did you also enjoy the Columbus Capitals reverse retro? :)

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
You describe that with such disparaging terms as though it's somehow misguided. Did you also enjoy the Columbus Capitals reverse retro? :)
🤷‍♂️

Not sure. I just know between the Messi League Soccer price increases and TMobile/Apple not giving me the Season Pass for free again my interest in the Crew will dwindle to nothing this season.

I just find Soccer fans get extra touchy about things I think are insignificant details. MLS doesn't require a 3rd uniform like Europe does when teams with similar colors play each other but Crew fans are extra touchy when another team in their league uses yellow.

I also didn't mind our red jerseys that much even though the team has blue in the name.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Between Gritty and this video, I wish the CBJ marketing was more cutting edge like this.

For a city that did crazy market for the Chill to grow popularity the CBJ market is pretty bland and conservative.

You know the Bruins used to do great stuff like that with a bear mascot a while back. This is just one but there are a bunch of these "Bruins Hockey Rules" commercials and you can find them on YouTube. This one of my favorite. I like the one about never leaving a game early.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
🤷‍♂️

Not sure. I just know between the Messi League Soccer price increases and TMobile/Apple not giving me the Season Pass for free again my interest in the Crew will dwindle to nothing this season.

I just find Soccer fans get extra touchy about things I think are insignificant details. MLS doesn't require a 3rd uniform like Europe does when teams with similar colors play each other but Crew fans are extra touchy when another team in their league uses yellow.
To be fair, Nashville SC's appropriation of the canary kit came along around the same time the "black and gold" nickname was handed off to LAFC, and those came along about when, per Precourt and Garber's plan, the team itself was to be handed off to Austin and the fans were expected to be handed off to Cincinnati. So there's a little more to it than mere aesthetics - it's little remnants of the attempt at Crew damnatio memoriae.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

Vancouver Canucks4.172.271.957.3%
Florida Panthers3.091.371.7260.1%
Winnipeg Jets2.81.551.2547.9%
New York Islanders3.011.821.1948.9%
Columbus Blue Jackets3.982.91.0849.4%
Edmonton Oilers3.32.370.9361.1%
Carolina Hurricanes2.982.160.8261.5%
New York Rangers2.391.620.7752.8%
Pittsburgh Penguins3.152.410.7452.4%
Boston Bruins3.152.440.7151.1%
Never in a million years would I have guessed this. But what Zach giveth 5v5, he taketh away 5v4. LOL

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Vancouver Canucks4.172.271.957.3%
Florida Panthers3.091.371.7260.1%
Winnipeg Jets2.81.551.2547.9%
New York Islanders3.011.821.1948.9%
Columbus Blue Jackets3.982.91.0849.4%
Edmonton Oilers3.32.370.9361.1%
Carolina Hurricanes2.982.160.8261.5%
New York Rangers2.391.620.7752.8%
Pittsburgh Penguins3.152.410.7452.4%
Boston Bruins3.152.440.7151.1%
Never in a million years would I have guessed this. But what Zach giveth 5v5, he taketh away 5v4. LOL

I've been sayin'.

If you look at the rate of goals for with and without the player on the ice, there's 3 D in the NHL way out ahead of the rest of the league's D-men.

Werenski, Hronek, and Hughes. And Hronek and Hughes are a pairing that plays with Miller and Pettersson. Werenski is out there with a hodge podge of players.

The Athletic article is underselling how good of a year he's having (at 5v5). They're right that Provorov and Severson have been much worse than Werenski but they're not getting terrible results either. The Jackets are not a terrible team at 5v5.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
Next season, Club sections 1-6 are “CENTER ICE CLUB.” New physical seats. Walled off from other Club sections, monitored club entrance at C6/7. Expanded lounge-feel amenities including all-you can eat “chef created” food. Wine, beer, pop, and water included. They are claiming it will be better than the Lexus lounge.

The org has determined they “need to upgrade the arena experience to keep up with other NHL arenas.”
My mind immediately went to “and yet…Mike Todd is STILL the arena host…”

Fun fact, it literally DOUBLES my STH costs. 😳 Biggest concern, other than the questionable timing with the on-ice product is the changing dynamic of the existing environment. Most in my section actually attend all or most games unlike the Lexus Lounge crowd across the ice. I hate that they will effectively price “regular fans” out and have a rotating or frequently empty seats corporate section. I see from a business perspective if the seats are sold, they really don’t care if there is a butt in the seat or not.

Reactions: EspenK and koteka

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Next season, Club sections 1-6 are “CENTER ICE CLUB.” New physical seats. Walled off from other Club sections, monitored club entrance at C6/7. Expanded lounge-feel amenities including all-you can eat “chef created” food. Wine, beer, pop, and water included. They are claiming it will be better than the Lexus lounge.

The org has determined they “need to upgrade the arena experience to keep up with other NHL arenas.”

Fun fact, it literally DOUBLES my STH costs. 😳 Biggest concern, other than the questionable timing with the on-ice product is the changing dynamic of the existing environment. Most in my section actually attend all or most games unlike the Lexus Lounge crowd across the ice. I hate that they will effectively price “regular fans” out and have a rotating or frequently empty seats corporate section. I see from a business perspective if the seats are sold, they really don’t care if there is a butt in the seat or not.
I'm not a business and a Day 1 season ticket holder in C-4. I am unable to attend the "presentation" and I'm sure it will be great but unfortunately I won't be keeping my seats. Already spending a lot and my commitment simply isn't that high any more after the constant losing. I'm an optimist and see the prospect pool, etc. but that's a jump I can't afford and the wife isn't interested in the team any more so I'll buy a few guys individually and watch them (hopefully) on the tele.

Reactions: koteka and Derby

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio

I agree completely about doubling the price when the on-ice product isn't there. I notified them I will not be renewing, I don't care about about a bar or food, when the central piece is the on-ice product.

They were trying to explain the money as if the monies was almost a wash and explained to them I come to see hockey not sit in the back bar area sipping martinis and not watching the game. Also the monies are wayyy off to what I pay per game.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
They were trying to explain the money as if the monies was almost a wash and explained to them I come to see hockey not sit in the back bar area sipping martinis and not watching the game. Also the monies are wayyy off to what I pay per game.
Martinis aren’t even included. 🍸 Liquor is sold separately.
If you don’t drink beer or wine, unlimited quantities of those doesn’t really entice.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
If you don’t drink beer or wine, unlimited quantities of those doesn’t really entice.

Or if you are an occasional drinker who will buy a nice bottle of something to drink at home with friends but isn’t interested in paying arena prices for 2 beers let alone several drinks.

Reactions: Youngguns1380

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I've seen the various CBJ Black History month posts celebrating former players such as Greg Mauldin (who remembers him) but did they really go the entire month and not recognize Manny Malhotra?

I never saw a post and I can't find one doing a search on Twitter or facebook.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I've seen the various CBJ Black History month posts celebrating former players such as Greg Mauldin (who remembers him) but did they really go the entire month and not recognize Manny Malhotra?

I never saw a post and I can't find one doing a search on Twitter or facebook.

He is half Indian and half French Canadian. Maybe they will recognize him in May for Asian history month.

Reactions: stevo61

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

Davidson revealed that former goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky refused to waive his no-trade clause leading up to the 2019 NHL trade deadline. Davidson made the following comment about Bobrovsky, who left Columbus to sign a 7-year deal with the Florida Panthers,

"I know that with Bobrovsky, he didn't want to waive his no-trade, so we couldn't trade him. And I get that, he had every right in the world. That's nobody's fault. It's just what it is."

Reactions: CBJx614

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Unless someone has a time stamp on that portion of the conversation I'm too lazy to go find it to listen.

Did he do it because he wanted to stay or did he do it just to be a d*ck and screw the team?

We all know he bolted to Florida ASAP and we never even tried to get close in negotiations for what he was asking. That's the context that matters to me.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Funny how JD was up in arms when the rookie called out the team for sending him down after they told hm to get a place.
But he can bring up stuff like this at his own free will.
JD is a crying lil biotch. He should never have been brought back after he left us for his dream job, where he was quickly fired for not performing.
It's great we got rid of Jarmo now get rid of JD ASAP. Put him out to pasture.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad