Interesting Info: Part XXII (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
IF the NHL and Jackets kowtow to their every demand….$$$$$
I mean, heaven forbid anyone actually say it out loud but Ohio Stadium is pretty outdated for spectators.

They'll build fancy new luxury press boxes for high dollar donors and state of the art locker rooms for the football team but the rest of the stadium is bare exposed concrete and pipes with high school football bleachers to sit on.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I mean, heaven forbid anyone actually say it out loud but Ohio Stadium is pretty outdated for spectators.

They'll build fancy new luxury press boxes for high dollar donors and state of the art locker rooms for the football team but the rest of the stadium is bare exposed concrete and pipes with high school football bleachers to sit on.
I couldn't believe the state of the Shoe the first time I went. Like, sure, I went to high school at the Pro Football Hall of Fame and our stadium was NFL-grade because it had to be to accommodate actual NFL players once a year, but the situation at the Shoe is dire in comparison. And yes, I include the old Fawcett stadium that has been replaced with an entirely new build since I graduated.

Reactions: CBJx614

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I couldn't believe the state of the Shoe the first time I went. Like, sure, I went to high school at the Pro Football Hall of Fame and our stadium was NFL-grade because it had to be to accommodate actual NFL players once a year, but the situation at the Shoe is dire in comparison. And yes, I include the old Fawcett stadium that has been replaced with an entirely new build since I graduated.
yeah. I don't go to OSU football games and haven't been to one since 2004 (I think?)

I was there this summer for Motley Crue and Def Leppard and a band contest in the fall. it's clear they only spend the money on those who give the most back to the school and care the least about the general public spectators.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Those of us that go to the Chillers, Ice Haus, or the old OSU rink are used to sitting on cold bleachers to watch hockey. I’ll be doing it this weekend a couple of times.
You aren't paying a couple hundy to do so, though. While seated so far from the game action as to be more likely to watch it on the stadium's giant screen.

Oh, I'll do it, should it ever come to pass. But...

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Bjorkstrand and JAM seem to be obvious. I haven't looked at my list recently but is Cam Atkinson having a bounce back year?

I know Josh Anderson was struggling quite a bit the first two months or so, so probably not him.

Other considerations - Duclair, but I think he fell off after the injury, Wennberg sometimes will sneakily have a bunch of assists if he's on a good line. And Seth Jones usually does something like 2-28-30 by this point of a season occasionally.

I count 6. I guessed 2 and found a third who surprised me. Hint - he has 27 points.

23 27 50
15 17 32
11 20 31
11 18 29 - I guessed him because you asked the question
8 19 27
17 10 27

I always forget Marchessault actually suited up for the Jackets for a couple games, he was an AHLer at that point.

The surprising one to me is not Bjorkstrand or Marchessault though. It's Gus Nyquist.

I guess not that surprising, he's a good scorer. But how did we end up in this situation? Here we are letting guys like Gus go to make room for yet more ELCs, and he signs a very cheap deal. He'd be a key piece for us right now, and he signed for marginally more than guys like Bean and Peeke are making.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Are those places outside?

Chiller North is often colder than outside. Granted the indoor rinks don’t have wind, and I have been to some cold windy football games at Ohio Stadium.

My fear would be if Columbus gets an outdoor game that it would be on one of those dreary 38 degree and rainy Columbus days.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Chiller North is often colder than outside. Granted the indoor rinks don’t have wind, and I have been to some cold windy football games at Ohio Stadium.

My fear would be if Columbus gets an outdoor game that it would be on one of those dreary 38 degree and rainy Columbus days.
The solution would be to play a Stadium Series game in February. That month is always cold here.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I always forget Marchessault actually suited up for the Jackets for a couple games, he was an AHLer at that point.

The surprising one to me is not Bjorkstrand or Marchessault though. It's Gus Nyquist.

I guess not that surprising, he's a good scorer. But how did we end up in this situation? Here we are letting guys like Gus go to make room for yet more ELCs, and he signs a very cheap deal. He'd be a key piece for us right now, and he signed for marginally more than guys like Bean and Peeke are making.

Nyquist was a UFA. We had no control if he didn't want to come back.

Also, who are you bumping from the current roster to give him a spot?

He got two years of term as a 34-year old. Aging curves suggest that's risky. He has 8 points in his last 5 games so it's not like he's been a prolific scorer all season.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Nyquist was a UFA. We had no control if he didn't want to come back.

Also, who are you bumping from the current roster to give him a spot?

He got two years of term as a 34-year old. Aging curves suggest that's risky. He has 8 points in his last 5 games so it's not like he's been a prolific scorer all season.
Not really. 3.2 is not significant money and buying him out isn’t too bad either (if he was terrible in year 1).

Reactions: majormajor

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Yes, Nyquist is a quality veteran piece, and affordable.

Yes, Jarmo has missed on some vet signings that have not really had an impact on the team winning, so sure a quality vet would be nice.

And yet also yes, Nyquist was a Jarmo vet signing that didn't really impact the team winning, for the past couple seasons.

Reactions: EspenK

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Yes, Nyquist is a quality veteran piece, and affordable.

Yes, Jarmo has missed on some vet signings that have not really had an impact on the team winning, so sure a quality vet would be nice.

And yet also yes, Nyquist was a Jarmo vet signing that didn't really impact the team winning, for the past couple seasons.
It might not have, but it was known that he was a great locker room guy and good leader.

This team needs another Nyquist AND Voracek. It's a shame what happened as he would've been a perfect locker room leader for the youth on the team rn.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
gus nyquist is a good player. he's playing with two extremely good veteran players (o'reilly and forsberg) on the top line of a good team. he'd probably put up similar (but still lesser) numbers if he was playing with gaudreau and jenner here.

when you're talking about good players who aren't elite players, circumstances have a bigger impact than talent.

look at anthony duclair: he flashed talent but was mostly bad in columbus (and chicago, arizona and nyr before that), then played a huge role on a bad ottawa team and parlayed that into a spot next to aleksander barkov and suddenly looked and produced like a top-line player.

now he's on a bad san jose team, and despite having higher usage + power play time, he has worse production than cole sillinger.

if you swapped duclair and nyquist this year, their statlines probably flip too, because their circumstances have that big of an impact.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
It might not have, but it was known that he was a great locker room guy and good leader.

This team needs another Nyquist AND Voracek. It's a shame what happened as he would've been a perfect locker room leader for the youth on the team rn.
It doesn't feel hyperbolic at all to say Voracek was the single biggest loss this team suffered since 2019. They don't finish where they do last season with him still on the roster, nor are they flailing the way they did early this season if he's still here.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
The Jackets don't need another Jake or Nyquist or any other aging star of yesteryear. What they need is time to have a new core develop and better goaltending would help. Adding JG hasn't helped improve the record. Laine hasn't helped the record. There will be a time down the road to add a key veteran piece but it isn't now.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
It doesn't feel hyperbolic at all to say Voracek was the single biggest loss this team suffered since 2019. They don't finish where they do last season with him still on the roster, nor are they flailing the way they did early this season if he's still here.
So I wonder if he'd want to coach here?

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
The Jackets don't need another Jake or Nyquist or any other aging star of yesteryear. What they need is time to have a new core develop and better goaltending would help. Adding JG hasn't helped improve the record. Laine hasn't helped the record. There will be a time down the road to add a key veteran piece but it isn't now.
Having a team full of kids is the EXACT time you want a veteran piece out there. Who would you rather, Olivier or Voracek? Roslovic or Nyquist? I take the vets 10 times out of 10.

So I wonder if he'd want to coach here?
IIRC he's coaching overseas? I could be wrong on that but I feel like someone here posted that

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

A $3m x 2 is not a big risk, I actually think you've got a bigger risk that a given young player falls down on the job.

FWIW, even without Bergeron and Krejci, the Bruins are significantly older, currently with 3 players 34+ years old. Do they not know about age curves?

if you swapped duclair and nyquist this year, their statlines probably flip too, because their circumstances have that big of an impact.

The statlines is kind of besides the point, Duclair is functionally no different in two way impact from a half dozen forwards we have, while Nyquist did things for us that are left undone on our current team. His ability to score in 4 v 5 and 5 v 6 situations for example. His ability to hold the puck and end a panic, that's actually what I miss the most.

To me this is like asking for the torch to be passed, when we stopped running a while back and fell in a ditch and are now unable to get back on our feet. There are basic elements of team structure that have to be established and passed on and we don't have anyone to do the passing on.

Here's another question, who is more talented, the Blue Jackets or the Bruins that beat us last night? I'm honestly not sure. When I watch the Bruins I don't see many super skilled plays, they're just always in the right spot, as outlets and in terms of defensive positioning.

Reactions: ColumbusTrill

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

To me this is like asking for the torch to be passed, when we stopped running a while back and fell in a ditch and are now unable to get back on our feet. There are basic elements of team structure that have to be established and passed on and we don't have anyone to do the passing on.

Here's another question, who is more talented, the Blue Jackets or the Bruins that beat us last night? I'm honestly not sure. When I watch the Bruins I don't see many super skilled plays, they're just always in the right spot, as outlets and in terms of defensive positioning.
Shouldn't the coach(es) be the one to establish the basic elements of team structure?

As to who is more talented, I think it depends on how you define talented.

Shouldn't Gaudreau, Werenski, Severson, Provorov, Gudbrandson, Laine be experienced enough to pass on the elements of team structure? Assuming the Jackets have one.

I stand by comment that the Jackets don't need another veteran right now to succeed. They need time and for Jarmo not to screw up what he has brewing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad