Interesting Info: Part XIV (All Jackets-related "tidbits" in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Brandon Dubinsky and Blake Comeau Fight In Practice

A spat between Blue Jackets Brandon Dubinsky and Blake Comeau escalated, quickly, into a full-on fight today during practice in Nationwide Arena.

Dubinsky and Comeau, who had moments earlier exchanged words and had to be separated on the bench during a penalty-kill drill, dropped the gloves and exchanged punches when their lines were next on the ice together.

They did so just feet away from coach Todd Richards, who unsuccessfully ordered them to stop. Assistant coach Dan Hinote intervened and pulled Dubinsky and Comeau apart, keeping things from getting out of hand as president of hockey operations John Davidson, watching from suite level, bellowed for the teammates to cease fire.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/blogs/puck-rakers/2013/12/teammate-tussle.html

Personally I love it. Shows the fire the guys go with at practice.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
if its something that's behind them...then yeah...i like guys battling in practice...better than what we had before...

bizzz*

The other teams should be scared of those Jackets.
Russians are saying for centuries: "thrash your friends to intimidate your foes". It's actually hard to translate, the other ways to say it: "If you kick your own guys' *****, it will surely scare the hell out of anybody else out there!" or "make an example of one's own to send a message to others".

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Boys will be boys!!

I wish my workplace would allow for an honest settlement of disagreements:laugh:

Comeau and Dubinski are physical types, so I'd guess that all was forgiven very shortly after the battle.

USNBluejack

Jul 9, 2010
Virginia Beach, VA
I do some foam fighting with swords and shields and command a unit. I had one of my guys miss a shield kick and kick me in the mouth. I punched him until I broke my hand. Afterwards we shook hands and he understood that he shouldn't have missed a 2x2 ft shield. We're good, but things can get heated in any contact sport. I think it's fine.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
The fire, the passion, it happens. You hear of it more in football, but if there no lingering problems I guess all is well.

But not what you would expect out of a Captain....

... just saying.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
If the two patch things up and go out for a steak and some beers sometime this week, then I'm okay with it. That's what us guys do.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
The fire, the passion, it happens. You hear of it more in football, but if there no lingering problems I guess all is well.

But not what you would expect out of a Captain....

... just saying.

I recall Lyle Odelin reportedly getting into a knockdown-dragout with Oliwa in the parking garage back in the day.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
It's only a problem if Dubi and Comeau keep feuding in the future.

I'm also glad neither one of them is captain.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
One of the tightest-knit locker rooms I was ever a part of was on a team that wound up going 26-4 through the regular season. Near the end of the year, an argument over what kind of music one kid liked turned into a scuffle in the locker room, just before our first playoff game.

We went winless in the playoffs, as everyone took opposing sides.

I hope this sort of thing doesn't happen to the Jackets, who have clearly begun to gel.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I agree that this is only troubling if it's a lingering issue and not resolved, or indicates there is some sort of divide in the locker room.

It's also could be a potential problem that they kept going after being told to knock it off. If a player feels that winning a personal feud is more important than the team winning a game, then that's when players take stupid penalties. Keeping emotions in check is necessary sometimes especially when opponents are trying to get you off your game.

Hopefully the lesson is learned and there's no hard feelings.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
One of the tightest-knit locker rooms I was ever a part of was on a team that wound up going 26-4 through the regular season. Near the end of the year, an argument over what kind of music one kid liked turned into a scuffle in the locker room, just before our first playoff game.

I hope this sort of thing doesn't happen to the Jackets, who have clearly begun to gel.

Difference here IMO is that is junior players, kids, these are grown men.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Hopefully they'll be laughing off the scrap instead of being butthurt over whatever they were scuffling about.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I generally like the rough an tumble, I don't like teammates fighting. And no, fighting with a teammate would not seem to recommend a player to be a captain.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Doesn't that almost make it worse?

Fight in the schoolyard: Normal.

Fight in the workplace: Grounds for termination and/or legal troubles.

Kids can hold grudges, men can shake hands afterwards and put it behind them.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
No one was injured, and the tussle sent a charge through the Jackets locker room. It was abuzz --borderline giddy -- afterward. Practice fights are a rarity in the NHL these days. This one seemed to have a positive effect.

Dubinsky, who slammed his stick on the glass in frustration before the pair exchanged words on the bench, said all is well, although he declined to provide details about what exactly started the exchange.

“Guys practice hard and there are emotions. It’s nothing,†said Dubinsky, who fought New York Rangers teammate Dan Boyle during a practice in 2009..

“(Comeau) is going to be my card partner on the plane. That’s the way it is. Practice gets intense. Guys are working hard. Obviously, I don’t want to fight my teammate and I don’t think he wants to fight his teammate, either. Emotions are there in practice and then it’s over. We’re good buddies.

“I got frustrated. We battle against each other in practice. It’s a physical sport. Sometimes guys get pissed off. Things happen. I’m going to walk back in there and have a laugh with him right now and we’ll continue driving to the airport together and paying cards on the plane together and going out to dinner together and doing everything we normally do. (Stuff) happens, that’s al.â€

Seems OK to me

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Kids can hold grudges, men can shake hands afterwards and put it behind them.

I have seen a lot of men who can't. In fact, I would suggest, for boys/men at least, it is the exact opposite.

This is a very simple thing to deal with though. Either there is no problem and nothing has to be done or there is a problem and you get rid of Comeau. Dubinsky isn't going anywhere and this is something that needs to be dealt with quickly.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Doesn't worry me a bit. This kind of thing happens more often than we realize, especially in sports or other situations where guys bond. I would pretty much guarantee that whatever happened, if some guy on Pittsburgh did something tomorrow, either of those guys would stand up for one another without hesitation.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
Nothing to see here folks, keep moving, keep moving.

Comeau must have lined up Dubi and Dubi didn't like it, words got said, and then Oh Yeah, why I ought to.... Punches thrown and CBJ Brassard's last post sums it up.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

I was a part of two teams that fought plenty. One was because there was just an undercurrent of bad blood, the other was a natural outgrowth of the intensity. The former team did nothing, the latter came within an ace of a state championship.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
I don't like it but it seems like they have gotten over it. Dubinsky is a hothead full of emotions and stuff like that happens. When I was in Philly they were in warmups and they sloppily broke out of their zone for the drill. Dubinsky was cursing at guys to get their **** together. (that was in warmups). Its the positives and negatives you get with Dubinsky but mostly positive. Not sure if hes cool and calm enough for Captain though. Doesnt matter, I dont see them naming one this year.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I was a part of two teams that fought plenty. One was because there was just an undercurrent of bad blood, the other was a natural outgrowth of the intensity. The former team did nothing, the latter came within an ace of a state championship.

Was it rough and tumble golf or smash mouth tennis? :laugh:

Seriously I think this was probably the outgrowth of intensity rather than an ongoing blood feud. In Philly it wouldn't even be noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad