2024 NHL Draft Thread (CBJ to pick 4th)

Predict CBJ's draft position

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
I am fine with all 3 of those, with them ranked Demidov, Lindstrom, then Sennecke with a bigger gap between the latter two than the former two. All 3 of those players are very smart forwards and mentally checkmate their opponents nonstop in their current leagues.

No matter how the rest of Demidov's time in Russia goes I think he'll flourish once he comes over to North America. He may take a bit to adjust but once he updates his defense reading software to NHL standards he will do very well by my estimate.

Lindstrom will be a contributor, not sure exactly how his game will look once he hits the NHL but he is smart, skilled, and physically exceptional enough for me to trust whatever he'll become will help NHL teams win games. A sizable amount of his scoring comes from playing with Basha against juniors defensemen, which leads to him being wide open slamming in one timers. That's a very valuable skill but depends on linemates. Gaudreau or Johnson would probably enjoy him.

Sennecke is probably my favorite of the three style wise. He has a very interesting mind for the game. His pace is not very high but his focus is unwavering, he plays at a lower gear but never seems to leave that gear. He plays objectively and lets his body kinda figure it out on the fly kinetically. Good instincts and real time move selection. That said he is behind the other two for me still - but I can totally see him mastering his own style and being part of a great line.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I am fine with all 3 of those, with them ranked Demidov, Lindstrom, then Sennecke with a bigger gap between the latter two than the former two. All 3 of those players are very smart forwards and mentally checkmate their opponents nonstop in their current leagues.

No matter how the rest of Demidov's time in Russia goes I think he'll flourish once he comes over to North America. He may take a bit to adjust but once he updates his defense reading software to NHL standards he will do very well by my estimate.

Lindstrom will be a contributor, not sure exactly how his game will look once he hits the NHL but he is smart, skilled, and physically exceptional enough for me to trust whatever he'll become will help NHL teams win games. A sizable amount of his scoring comes from playing with Basha against juniors defensemen, which leads to him being wide open slamming in one timers. That's a very valuable skill but depends on linemates. Gaudreau or Johnson would probably enjoy him.

Sennecke is probably my favorite of the three style wise. He has a very interesting mind for the game. His pace is not very high but his focus is unwavering, he plays at a lower gear but never seems to leave that gear. He plays objectively and lets his body kinda figure it out on the fly kinetically. Good instincts and real time move selection. That said he is behind the other two for me still - but I can totally see him mastering his own style and being part of a great line.
I agree with pretty much everything you said. I'm trying not to get to attached to anyone so I'm not getting let down.

Maybe it's just me, or my lack of knowledge on other teams prospects/roster makeups, but I think Demidov would be an absolute perfect fit, outside of playing on Bedards wing for his entire career, coming into a locker room full of young, skilled Russians(with more on the way) would make his transition at a young age as smooth as possible.

On the Lindstrom vs Sennecke debate...I think Lindstrom is more like Fantilli when it comes to his size and future growth, I think what you see is what you're gonna get, just with more facial hair. Yeah i think he can develop his skills some more but what's his ceiling and I hate to say it, the back injury is scary when you're picking that high, no matter what the doctors say.

Where as a kid like Sennecke might not even be done growing. He already knows how to play like a smaller player, what happens if he can bulk up a bit and learn to play like Lindstrom? I think he's got the chance at a higher ceiling even if he doesn't grow another inch. Granted on the other hand...you can't force a player to be a power forward, even if they are big...Look no further than Patrik Laine...

I've said it a few times, I'm glad I don't have to be the one to make the choice. I'd be extremely curious to see how different teams top 10s all look.

Reactions: ColumbusTrill

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Not a fan of Sennecke or Demidov. If Lidstrom isn’t there I prefer to go for Buium. Buium is rated higher and better prospect as well as we have a glutton of wings.

Reactions: kp61c and Toe Pick

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
The more I watch and read about top ranked players the more nervous I'm becoming about CBJ's decision-making at the draft. Right now there is only one player I'd really like at #4 (Buium). I'd probably be just fine with Lindstrom and Dickinson, a little uncomfortable with Demidov, Sennecke, Iginla, Yakemchuk or Jiricek, and more or less disappointed with anybody else (except those I haven't looked into that carefully yet, Silayev for example).

Personally it does feel a bit awkward to not be as excited about Lindstrom as many of those public scouting services and smart posters on this site I hold in high regard. I can't seem to figure out what his ceiling could be, and the back issue is concerning to me, no matter how irrational that might sound.

I really hope they aren't ruling out the possibility of trading down.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
@majormajor would feel so vindicated.

It would also further strengthen my theory that he is, in fact, Pat Verbeek.

To be fair, we also talked about Lindstrom being that pick (because he was next on my list). Yakemchuk fills a huge need for them though and I have him ranked just a couple spots lower. And we've been calling him the Corey Perry of D-men for a while. It feels like a fit for Yakemchuk in Anaheim.

Also FWIW the Ducks top scout is Martin Madden, and he's usually credited with shaping their drafting including McTavish, Mintyukov, and Carlsson. So I tend to wonder what he thinks more than Verbeek, who hasn't been there very long.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

This is where I am, and more so every day. I was all in on Lindstrom, but herniated disk scares me. Iginla is my current choice, gun to my head. In plenty of clips he looks more like a center than a wing, and he might play center next season. He is an August birthday so he is still 17. He is not his dad, but given his dad you can expect him to fill out more than some of the other guys. He has no quit.

But I would rather trade back.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
The more I watch and read about top ranked players the more nervous I'm becoming about CBJ's decision-making at the draft. Right now there is only one player I'd really like at #4 (Buium). I'd probably be just fine with Lindstrom and Dickinson, a little uncomfortable with Demidov, Sennecke, Iginla, Yakemchuk or Jiricek, and more or less disappointed with anybody else (except those I haven't looked into that carefully yet, Silayev for example).

Personally it does feel a bit awkward to not be as excited about Lindstrom as many of those public scouting services and smart posters on this site I hold in high regard. I can't seem to figure out what his ceiling could be, and the back issue is concerning to me, no matter how irrational that might sound.

My lack of enthusiasm was I didn’t expect the CBJ to be in this position. I am more worried about goaltending, Laine, defense and coaching than the draft. That usually isn’t the case. I feel this team has regressed and stand at a point where if the wrong decisions are made this summer the CBJ could go another 2-5 years as a punching bag in the East, when everyone is getting stronger.

Outside of Celebrini, nobody should contribute to their prospective clubs next season.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I posted a week or so ago that, just because we as fans can’t figure out how to rank 8 or so guys doesn’t mean front offices can’t.

It’s one thing if you have a guy at 3/4 and you expect to be able to draft him at 7/8. But don’t forget, this is THE guy the team wants. You better be absolutely sure. If you’re not, you’re not trading back. You’re taking the guy you want at whatever your draft position is.

Teams don’t have the same “whichever one of these guys is there because we can’t tell them apart” issue that we do.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
My lack of enthusiasm was I didn’t expect the CBJ to be in this position. I am more worried about goaltending, Laine, defense and coaching than the draft. That usually isn’t the case. I feel this team has regressed and stand at a point where if the wrong decisions are made this summer the CBJ could go another 2-5 years as a punching bag in the East, when everyone is getting stronger.

Outside of Celebrini, nobody should contribute to their prospective clubs next season.
As it should be... very few should come from the draft and a) be expected to contribute and b) actually contribute at a level to improve a bottom dweller.

Have faith. Everything you pointed out is exactly what Waddell has already pointed to to address. I personally don't think we saw regression. I think we saw vets under perform and not enough growth in leadership to guide the youth. The young players actually showed growth. Have a little more faith to see where this goes.
I posted a week or so ago that, just because we as fans can’t figure out how to rank 8 or so guys doesn’t mean front offices can’t.

It’s one thing if you have a guy at 3/4 and you expect to be able to draft him at 7/8. But don’t forget, this is THE guy the team wants. You better be absolutely sure. If you’re not, you’re not trading back. You’re taking the guy you want at whatever your draft position is.

Teams don’t have the same “whichever one of these guys is there because we can’t tell them apart” issue that we do.
Chinakhov is the perfect example. Their guy wouldn't have been available with a trade back. I know it was Jarmo, but it kinda looks like a good call. GMs know...

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
As it should be... very few should come from the draft and a) be expected to contribute and b) actually contribute at a level to improve a bottom dweller.

Have faith. Everything you pointed out is exactly what Waddell has already pointed to to address. I personally don't think we saw regression. I think we saw vets under perform and not enough growth in leadership to guide the youth. The young players actually showed growth. Have a little more faith to see where this goes.

Chinakhov is the perfect example. Their guy wouldn't have been available with a trade back. I know it was Jarmo, but it kinda looks like a good call. GMs know...
They may not know (maybe no one does) but they have decided. They key in my point is that fans have however many guys we can’t decide among so we’re good with just whichever guy is there one we trade back. But that’s not how GMs do it.

Reactions: Xoggz22

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Yes but if there is no player available the team really wants, only a bunch of guys they kinda want that are likely to be there later, it makes more sense to move back and grab two or more of those rather than settle for whoever happens to be next on their list.

The 2022 draft was the first in nearly two decades without Wilson at the head of the hockey operations department. Mike Grier’s first draft in charge for the Sharks will also be remembered for a big trade, but this time in the opposite direction.

San Jose traded the No. 11 pick to Arizona for three selections — Nos. 27, 34 and 45 in this draft. The Sharks used the 27th pick Thursday night to select Filip Bystedt, a big center from Linköping HC in Sweden.

“We talked about it a little bit beforehand. (Scouting director Doug Wilson Jr.) and his staff did a great job identifying players that we wanted and as the pick came around, those players were starting to become not available,” Grier said. “We thought it was best to move back, get some value and get a couple more picks. We feel good about our positioning for (Friday).”

I don't know if we have a single poster who could prove us that there will be a player available at #4 the Jackets really want and will draft there, regardless of the players selected ahead of us.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

Exactly.

They know SO much more than we as fans know and they ask a million more questions. They are talking to family members, coaches, trainers, ex teammates etc. They talk to everyone. Not to mention actually talking to the kids. We could think the world of someone but if a coach or teammate and they ever mention a lack of effort, or maybe they aren't liked in the locker room, maybe they answered some questions in a way that wasn't desired. There's a million little things that could raise a red flag that we as fans could never know about from highlights, shift by shift tapes and scout breakdowns.
Yes but if there is no player available the team really wants, only a bunch of guys they kinda want that are likely to be there later, it makes more sense to move back and grab two or more of those rather than settle for whoever happens to be next on their list.

I don't know if we have a single poster who could prove us that there will be a player available at #4 the Jackets really want and will draft there, regardless of the players selected ahead of us.
I sure as shit would hope so. Those lists are guarded even after drafts.

They have their lists made and likely tiered by now an we'll never know how they have them ranked except for who we actually pick. If Lindstrom, Demidov and Sennecke are on the board still and we take Sennecke that could be very telling. (Just a hypothetical, I really don't know who we take at this point.)

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

I understand what you’re saying but I don’t think it works that way. Teams have a guy, an order of preference.

Reactions: Fred Glover

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

So is Buium #2 on your list?

What is the reservation with Demidov? Or Sennecke?

All-hands players not translating as well? Personally I've seen so much hockey sense and vision from those two players, and I like their skating more than most, so I'm inclined to think they can adjust to higher levels even if their all-hands approach will have to be dropped.

They may not know (maybe no one does) but they have decided. They key in my point is that fans have however many guys we can’t decide among so we’re good with just whichever guy is there one we trade back. But that’s not how GMs do it.

Teams are 10x more zoomed in than we are, so yes they're less likely to have big tiers of players the way fans do. But it still happens sometimes. They try to move picks to get the back end of their tiers instead of picking at the beginning. You'll see one or two trades like that each draft but I assume there are more teams than that making calls to see if they can move.

But I would rather trade back.

I think the difficulty this year is that it is relatively flat (not actually flat, but flat compared to most years) from 2 to about 14 so clubs won't offer as much to move up. Anyways I see the high upside guys like Sennecke, Demidov, and Lindstrom probably all going soon after our pick, so I wouldn't want to move down.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Going with Iginla as my final. Who cares where those in the supposed know thinks his value lies. I want a workman every night, a grinder, a gritty guy who brings it every game. That was his dad and I'm resting he'll be the same WITH the value of that dad to lean on.

Happy Father's Day to those who are papas! You too Jerome. I'll take your kid in the 4th slot...

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Going with Iginla as my final. Who cares where those in the supposed know thinks his value lies. I want a workman every night, a grinder, a gritty guy who brings it every game. That was his dad and I'm resting he'll be the same WITH the value of that dad to lean on.

Happy Father's Day to those who are papas! You too Jerome. I'll take your kid in the 4th slot...

I don't think you'll get a lot of pushback on that. He might be the best of the bunch at the end of the day. I personally feel like there's a few forwards with higher upside than Iginla, so I have him ranked around #6 or #7, but few of us are sure of that.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
I don't think you'll get a lot of pushback on that. He might be the best of the bunch at the end of the day. I personally feel like there's a few forwards with higher upside than Iginla, so I have him ranked around #6 or #7, but few of us are sure of that.
And, at the end of the day, you gotta go with somebody. All are just potential at this point. I think he's a cinch to be a solid performer for years come. Some might want more but as for me I want a guy who can pick his team up and carry them if necessary. I think he's mentally equipped to do that!

Reactions: koteka

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

And how often do those extra assets amount to anything? Could just as easily trade back, get a worse player and a couple of guys that never make the NHL. We know our staff has balls and we know theyll take someone "early" regardless of what other scouting services lists say.

I personally think trading down from a pick like that is an insane waste. Want to trade it as part of a package for an established guy who checks a number of boxes? Go hard. For worse picks? Crazy to me

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
And how often do those extra assets amount to anything? Could just as easily trade back, get a worse player and a couple of guys that never make the NHL. We know our staff has balls and we know theyll take someone "early" regardless of what other scouting services lists say.

I personally think trading down from a pick like that is an insane waste. Want to trade it as part of a package for an established guy who checks a number of boxes? Go hard. For worse picks? Crazy to me
The only way we're trading that pick IMO, is if we're trading it for a proven NHL piece. Which might not be entirely unrealistic, I just can't think of anyone off the top of my head who might be a realistic player to target.

Which is funny considering my vote for this thread was the pick getting traded 😂 thought it might get traded if we were in the hunt by the TDL. Goes to shek you what I know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad