Inside the Habs draft - premieres August 22, 7:00 p.m. on YouTube

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Dvorak might be worth nothing if he's injured again. And i doubt KH will extend him 1 year to recoup the picks like he did with Monahan i think he'll just move on. If this happens then the result of the OS will be JK + 2nd round pick for nothing.
The pick is irrelevant at this point if he's holding back a kid. He'd get what a third rounder at best?
As much as we could afford taking a shot at Laine we can also afford to dump Dvorak.
We are running out of runway. Winning or Bust is just around the corner.
The more experience we can give our kids at this level before that time comes the better IMO.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Kind of boring honestly. I wish they showed other interviews of players we didn’t take.
Pretty sure they can't. That's also why the omit the names of anyone else they're looking at.
Zegras would be here if someone takes Hage before us. A 100%. There's too much there. Not only this video but Hughes said at draft possible deal later in day. It corresponds with article that came out in french media a few weeks back. Between Anaheim and Montreal. Then Waddell said Montreal became interested in Laine recently. So definitely wasn't Laine at draft.

Hughes must had big interest in Zegras because watching this video the reviews on Hage was outstanding. It was close.

Makes one wonder if things play out a certain way this season if Zegras ends up in Montreal?? Maybe at deadline if Habs in playoff picture. If our pick is around 16 would you give it up for Zegras? Price be on LTIR then, so caproom be available. Let's us trade a forward at deadline, also move Newhook back to 3rd line. Get a 2nd for Dvorak. Just be downgrading from mid-first to mid-second round but getting Zegras for doing it. Put Zegras back with Caufield?
Pretty sure a reliable report came out that Montreal was close, along with Minnesota at acquiring McGroarty at the draft. Minnesota turned it down when they got Buium and Montreal turned it down as they got Hage. I imagine something else went with the 1st, but it definitely wasn't Zegras. If it was, Montreal had the conditional 1st that had a chance to be much better than 21st.

Is there a English version??
Watch on YouTube and turn on les sous-titres... subtitled and it will be in English when the French is spoken.

Reactions: Gustave

wikiwa

Apr 10, 2006
MTL
Got so pumped up at the end when they talk about the near future and they show past draft footages of Hutson, Reinbacher, Fowler, Slaf... with Demidov and Hage. It feels like seeing the beginning of something great, all those pieces... Finally, future is bright my friends.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
I am sure it was Iginla, he’s the other type of forward we needed.

And to see Lapointe’s face when Kent announces that we have a deal to trade the fifth, the scouts realllllly liked Iginla.

But the prize was Demigod and we hit it out of the park. Stoked.

I'm pretty sure the second choice has Lindstrom (if Columbus take Demidov).

dauv

Sep 23, 2022
Weren't they comparing Demidov to a player who could be a "Top 6 winger"? This is what Billy Ryan mentions at 13:20 of the video. I think they we're referring to Iginla personally, unless they feel Lindstrom would more than likely end up as a winger? Hard to say for sure.
willing to accept Iginla as a possibility, but pthers are right in saying it's edited to fit who they picked so hard to know

Mikah

Feb 19, 2018
If Habs picked 2nd, I'm pretty confident they would have still gone Demidov.
I agree with that. But I would have expected a little bit more discussion on this.. not a complete consensus. Surely some scouts would not have seen him and would have focused on WHL or NCAA. Usually in those meetings, everybody pushes their own pony.

Oh, and I like how they justify taking Koivu at 3rd: he eats well and he sleeps well.. now that is some serious scouting!!

You think Molson, the management staff and the scout team all took time off from Free Agency, other work and/or summer vacations to shoot additional content for a Youtube video that, if theyr'e lucky, will hit 400k views?
I think they would absolutely take an extra day to do this.. this is not about the number of hits on youtube.. its about creating a hype for a loosing team that has struggled to fill the Bell Centre and has dwindling views on cable networks.

They need to renew the quebecor deal of $110M per season... you don't think taking a day to shoot some content is worth a bit of money?

dauv

Sep 23, 2022

Attachments

• Ivan.gif
    Ivan.gif
    3.5 MB · Views: 3

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I think they would absolutely take an extra day to do this.. this is not about the number of hits on youtube.. its about creating a hype for a loosing team that has struggled to fill the Bell Centre and has dwindling views on cable networks.

They need to renew the quebecor deal of $110M per season... you don't think taking a day to shoot some content is worth a bit of money?

I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the video will have zero impact with any TV deal. They could cut all content that wasn't player interviews and draft floor video and it would still hype people up.

The only people that give a shit about this are die hard fans, and pontificating from management/scouts can go from a + to - very quickly.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Also one thing to mention is they were doing an exercise at the beginning, they weren't determining draft position.

Hughes was saying they were doing exercises where they took two players and made their cases. Probably did it for the 5 to 7 guys on their list and were editing things for the video.

HabsCowboysOwn

60M/yr bum QB, 4 more wasted years here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
Also one thing to mention is they were doing an exercise at the beginning, they weren't determining draft position.

Hughes was saying they were doing exercises where they took two players and made their cases. Probably did it for the 5 to 7 guys on their list and were editing things for the video.
It's all fake though, the whole thing is AI generated bro it's not too late to wake up. :sarcasm:

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
I'd say Tij to be honest. They kept talking about his shot and one guy said he views him as a top 6 scoring winger (which was Tij's realistic eval).
don't think so. They were comparing Demidov the scoring winger vs a shooting center....Lindstrom.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I'm surprised no one is throwing a hissy about Hughes saying they filled a need picking Demidov.

Like, it could not be clearer.

None of the positional value or size premium talk a out the previous draft picks, but full blown saying they picked a need.

After all the diatribe about one small comment on Reinbacher, you'd think the same people would be outside Habs headquarters with the pitchforks.

I'm obviously not serious, but I just find it funny how things are extrapolated from media interviews.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
I think we learned from the video that they see Demidov as a center more than a winger.
I don’t think so. I think one scout said that. You also don’t want to negatively impact his offensive game by adding defensive responsibilities. A d he might suck at faceoffs.

I'm pretty sure the second choice has Lindstrom (if Columbus take Demidov).
You can take that to the bank.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
Dvorak might be worth nothing if he's injured again. And i doubt KH will extend him 1 year to recoup the picks like he did with Monahan i think he'll just move on. If this happens then the result of the OS will be JK + 2nd round pick for nothing.
Fair but JK is an overpaid borderline NHLer at this point. Type of deal where everyone fails!

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I'd go a step further, and I'd say that this was filmed after the draft. Honestly, the choices and the discussions are just too perfect for what happened.

I am really not convinced that Demidov would stilll be their pick at 5 if Levshunov or Lindstrom were available, and I would bet there probably was not such a consensus...

Same for 21... Boisvert, Connelly or Eiserman were all potential picks that were arguable above Hage. I think they were hoping for one of those to be available (including Hage). I very much doubt they were going specifically for Hage. There was just a strong group of players that were in that range, and it made a lot of sense going from 26 to 21, because it was the difference between a potential top 6 and a bottom 6 player.
Not sure I would go that far it would make a lot of sense, but they likely spoke about 100 players they might have said similar think about 10 guys at 21, the reste just didn’t make the cut… If it was stage they likely would have had something for every pick.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'm surprised no one is throwing a hissy about Hughes saying they filled a need picking Demidov.

Like, it could not be clearer.

None of the positional value or size premium talk a out the previous draft picks, but full blown saying they picked a need.

After all the diatribe about one small comment on Reinbacher, you'd think the same people would be outside Habs headquarters with the pitchforks.

I'm obviously not serious, but I just find it funny how things are extrapolated from media interviews.

I'm of the opinion that BPA doesn't really exist unless you pick 1st and in some drafts, a few more picks. Everyone else is pretty much in a cluster and so teams will mostly pick by need.

Teams draft by need 99% of the time. This is why Hawks took Levshunov 2nd. He's a great pick, but Chicago needed a D.

Last year, because most wanted Michkov and others wanted Leonard, they focused on Hughes saying if Reinbacher wasn't an RD, he'd probably not be their pick. So everyone held it against them.

BPA is a fact. It's a no-one-questions-you are-the-best. But when you get to 5th, your BPA isn't my BPA, so who really is the BPA? Which is why to me, BPA is just something people say that doesn't really hold much weight.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I'm of the opinion that BPA doesn't really exist unless you pick 1st and in some drafts, a few more picks. Everyone else is pretty much in a cluster and so teams will mostly pick by need.

Teams draft by need 99% of the time. This is why Hawks took Levshunov 2nd. He's a great pick, but Chicago needed a D.

Last year, because most wanted Michkov and others wanted Leonard, they focused on Hughes saying if Reinbacher wasn't an RD, he'd probably not be their pick. So everyone held it against them.

BPA is a fact. It's a no-one-questions-you are-the-best. But when you get to 5th, your BPA isn't my BPA, so who really is the BPA? Which is why to me, BPA is just something people say that doesn't really hold much weight.
Oh my god dude can you chisel this in stone and put in some people's homes please??

xX SEYF Xx

Apr 5, 2022
Montreal
Billy Ryan was definitely talking about Iginla, he was referring to Demidov that played the 5 games he watched as a center and that he brings the puck through the blue line makes plays and is a puck possession guy and to the mystery guy to be a winger with a goal scorer mentality that created everything out of his shot.. not your average Lindstrom

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
The doctor is definitely a weirdo but he's also a great curveball. Every team should have one guy in the room that provokes terror in players. Your brain has to work to process that jumbled mass of words into a coherent idea.

He asked that strange ATM question last year "you know that thing where you put the card and money comes out?"

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal

BPA is “if you are going to disagree with most of the scouting reports on a top pick you had better be right.”

There are also some picks, McCarron, possibly, that just smell of “who’s the next center on our list, we take him even if he’s 2 rounds away.”

That said, for a lot of recent habs missed there wasn’t a pick in the same range that was obvious at the time that worked out. There were way better picks, but taking Zadina over JK would not have been better.

You go with the pick your scouts think will succeed. You can’t ignore position, but you can’t drop a bunch of spots in the first round because you want to fill a position. It absolutely can make sense to reach for a guy like Slaf when you think he will fill a role that is missing in the top 6 and would not easily be found outside the draft.

Kotkaniemi was less a terrible pick than a combination of terrible development and terrible negotiation. He should have developed more before hitting the NHL, should have had longer before getting to offer sheets or RFA, and should have been respected enough to avoid going that route. JK should be the habs current third line C at a fairly low salary.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad