Incompetence vs Indifference

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Do they want to win?

• Yes, they don't care about revenue

• Yes, that's the greatest way to earn revenue

• No, they don't care about revenue

• No, they only care about revenue

Results are only viewable after voting.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
I doubt ownership really gives a shit as long as the revenue stream is solid and showing steady growth.

Everybody else from Shanahan down obviously care and want to win.

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
I didn't vote. Option wasn't avail Ida picked.
Sure I think they wanna win, but also primarily want to earn $.
They want both I'd guess, but aren't willing to take a chance and upset the established apple cart when it's benefitted the bottom line to extremes.
Very few other pro hockey teams would be as financially secure with the non success TO has had. Die hard vs corporate $...... They've picked who to cater to.

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
Who here thinks Pelley is going to be any different then the previous talking heads at MLSE
I’ll say he’ll be better than Shanahan.

I think Pelley is preventing the Leafs from signing Marner.

He’s basically neutered shanahan.

The Leafs could be a useful team without Marner and Tavares.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I’ll say he’ll be better than Shanahan.

I think Pelley is preventing the Leafs from signing Marner.

He’s basically neutered shanahan.

The Leafs could be a useful team without Marner and Tavares.
Hopefully Shanahan doesn’t get extended, that along with not extending Marner would show me he might not be just another talking head………

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Management wants to win, they just drafted & signed a collection of players who lack the killer instinct in the playoffs. MLSE is too far invested in the core now and they've gone too far with the extensions, there's only one way from here:

thelma-and-louise-movie-ending.gif

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
I think another factor is how much interest would be lost if we did in fact win it all. I think a lot of people are being strung along in hopes of that grand prize and after that a lot of narratives and interest would die down.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I think ownership is extremely happy with:
1.Making the playoffs every year
2.Having legit superstars on the team
3.The revenue that comes from that (especially jerseys)

They don't have the balls to "mess that up" by potentially taking a step back, sure they want to win if they can, but they don't have the balls to rock the boat with any of the superstars at all.

It's very obvious this organization is run in a cowardly fashion, the best example of that is that Shanahan still has a job somehow, how in the world can he still have a job after he is directly responsible for everything that has taken place is beyond me, but it makes sense when you realize they don't care to try and win at all costs, nor are there consequences for repeated failure in Toronto because at the end of the day the revenues are great, they have superstars and they can sell them having a chance of winning every year.
Most likely because almost every year from 1967 has been borderline disasterous outside a few runs.

A lock to make the playoffs each year with marketable players is a huge deal.

Now it would be better for the fans, and their company if they could actually win. But it seems like they are too incompetent to pull it off

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I doubt ownership really gives a shit as long as the revenue stream is solid and showing steady growth.

Everybody else from Shanahan down obviously care and want to win.
They don't even need the Leafs to be profitable. With all their land sevelopment deals, and mortgages they are already making a truck load of money.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Incompetence and its starts with Shanny and worked its way down.
Indifference for some of the players

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Anyone who thinks that winning the Stanley Cup isn't by far the most profitable thing this team could ever do ever is an idiot.

They already spend max on salaries and their budget for facilities, coaches, scouting development is miles above the rest of the league with maybe a few exceptions.

This is not the 1980's Ballard years.

We have a lot of those recently. People thinking this era is the worst ever. Clueless.

Reactions: Jojalu

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Yup……
Do you really believe they are indifferent?

In the history of sport, there are very few ever that didn't want to win the Championship.

It would be astronomical odds that the Leafs ended up with multiple.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

In the history of sport, there are very few ever that didn't want to win the Championship.

If they are not indifferent then they simply just not good enough and major changes do need to be made.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Conn Smyth definitely wanted to win at all costs, but that mantra died when he sold the team to hus son, Ballard, and Basset……..

Reactions: Jojalu

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Pretty much, probably why Shanahan’s made of teflon, after all he was one of Bettman’s lackeys before becoming the worse President in the NHL………
Columbus says hi

I think another factor is how much interest would be lost if we did in fact win it all. I think a lot of people are being strung along in hopes of that grand prize and after that a lot of narratives and interest would die down.
Thats some dark shite right there

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Maximize shareholder value.

How do you do that? Maximize revenue, where costs are more or less fixed.

How do you maximize revenue? Play the maximum number of home games.

How do you maximize playing the most home games? Going deep in the playoffs.

That's all there is to this.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Like everything else in late stage capitalism, shareholds only care about profits
Monopoly’s aren’t very capitalistic………..

Columbus says hi

Thats some dark shite right there
Columbus hasn’t been around long enough to compete with the Leafs in the incompetence department, but their getting a good start, and remember then beat us out of the play in not long ago………

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad