WC: I'm speechless... USA to the Relegation Round

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I just know it. It's gonna turn out like this and Germany will finish the group with 2 wins and one narrow loss against Finland and still get relegated! After that moral will be down Ehrhoff won't be coming and we'll be playing Belgium next year. Something has to be done about this stupid tournament format.

The stupid tournament format allowed Germany to avoid relegation last year, despite finishing second to last in the WC. The only reason they are in the tournament this year is because they are hosting it. Austria should be in this year's tournament, not Germany.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
What did we really expect? There are only about 5 guys on this team who got serious consideration for the Olympic team(or were on the team). Johnson, Oshie, Okposo, Dubinsky and Yandle. Not to mention, about the 8th best American Goaltender. Behind Miller, Thomas, Quick, Howard, Conklin and Anderson.

I don't think even the most optimistic of US fans expected a great overall tournament, not unless we were able to add two scoring forwards for the next round but you certainly should have expected more than you've seen so far. And those 5 you listed would all be locks for either Germany or Denmark's teams. But the problem is only Yandle and Johnson are playing like it.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
To be brutally honest, that would probably be more embarrassing to the IIHF, like you know, perhaps it should be considered as a little clue that your tournament is not appealing to the top players in the game and you currently have reduced quality ?

I really do feel bad for the USA, they absolutely don't deserve the humiliation.

it's in the team's hands and so far they are showing they do.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
I guess that it's really possible that they finish last of their pool. That would mean that they'll have to go to the relegation round. But to be relegated, they would have to loose against some teams like Kazastan, France or Latvia/Italia. So there is next to no chance that they could be relegated to D1.

On a less serious note, it would be funny to see a top team (let's say the USA) being relegated to D1. I guess that two scenarios could happen at next tournament.

Scenario 1 : Nobody wants to play D1 hockey so the USA end up with bordeline NHLers, AHLers and prospect. I believe that they would still beat teams like Austria, Ukraine and Slovenia to make their way back to the top class

Scenario 2 : All the best players available join the team to make sure that the USA doesn't spend anymore time in D1. It would be funny to see them against teams like Australia or Japan.

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
Althought it's possible they will find themselves in the relegation round, no way they will actually be relegated.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

When I heard that Ryan Potulney and Taylor Chorney made the team my first thought was that this is not going to be a good WC for the US.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Tiebreak according to IIHF website:
--2 teams: H2H
--3 (or more teams): Points against other tied teams, goal differential, goals scored. There are more, but it won't get past the first criteria

US plays Finland, Germany plays Denmark (Denmark is already through to the qualifying round)

US win in regulation + Germany win in regulation or OT: Finland to relegation round
US win in regulation + Denmark win in regulation or OT: Germany to relegation round

US win in OT + Germany win in regulation: Finland to relegation round
US win in OT + Germany win in OT: Germany to relegation round (Finland has 4 points against tied teams, USA 3, Germany 2)
US win in OT + Denmark win in regulation or OT: Germany to relegation round.

US loss in OT + Germany win in OT or regulation: USA to relegation round
US loss in OT + Denmark win in OT: USA to relegation round
US loss in OT + Denmark win in regulation: Germany to relegation round

US loss in regulation: US to relegation round (regardless of Germany/Denmark result)

So it's quite simple for the US: if they win (regulation or OT), they advance. If they lose, they go home except if they lose in OT and Germany loses in regulation.

If this happens Germany will have 4 points (2 OT wins) and USA will have 3. So no, the Germans would not be relegated...unless Im missing something.

Just remembered USA has 2 OTL, thanks.

Last edited:

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
What did we really expect? There are only about 5 guys on this team who got serious consideration for the Olympic team(or were on the team). Johnson, Oshie, Okposo, Dubinsky and Yandle. Not to mention, about the 8th best American Goaltender. Behind Miller, Thomas, Quick, Howard, Conklin and Anderson.

excuses. How many danish or german players would fit into USA wc team? max 1-2 guys out from 2 teams to 3rd-4th line. USA has top 4 team in this tournament in paper.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
If US plays in div 2 next year it is a 100% guarantee no NHL players will be on that team.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
brutally garbage goal at that, but they all count so play him more, wasnt his line benched after that goal for some reason?

I can't remember but Carter only played 1:59 in the 3rd, Hanson/Kreider 1:37 so they probably only had 2 shifts total the whole period, one of which was the goal.

Purple hippo

Jan 3, 2010
Louvain-la-Neuve
If US plays in div 2 next year it is a 100% guarantee no NHL players will be on that team.

Whoa, the US is going to drop 2 divisions in one year?:amazed:

All joking aside, I know what you mean and that would be Division I. If the US ever dropped all the way down to Division II then they would have some major problems. I doubt no NHLer would play, Im sure a few would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad