WC: I'm speechless... USA to the Relegation Round

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Countries don't send their best to the WJC, they send juniors. Hardly any WJC player would make the WC team, so it's far less of a best on best.

I think that's what he meant. It is a 'best on best' tournament for their age group.

Very few juniors would be good enough to make the senior squad and have an impact on the senior WC however. The WC is not 'best on best' but it is still a high level of play.

Ilyeu

Jan 10, 2010
ahhh the cliche americans dont care about hockey reply, not unless they are winning of course
lol exactly, they didn't care about the world juniors back then either or even know that it existed, Not unless they're beating Canada it only matters. Typical excuses.

Did I miss something here? Playing in the relegation round is not the same as being relegated since you're fighting not to be relegated. The U.S will not get relegated, they have an average team, but they're good enough to beat the lower teams of this tournament easily. The relegation round will be easy for them.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
I anyone here who expects more than the late results from this
U.S. roster.
I mean if a staff puts a team like this together they deserve
the 2nd DIV.

The North American teams should even rethink their plans for the Worlds.
Every year the bid named players denies on the teams in U.S. and Canada.
So they should decide to send always AHL or College players.
Guys who are motivated and really try to start something.
I don't see any sense in sending a team full of 3rd and 4th liners and expect some medals.
They should just stop this embarassing stuff.

The other teams have tehir seasons finnished and put motivated team in a team camp and decide
after the cam. They have a lot of time to practice and develope.
Our guys just sending whoever they can find and see what happens.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
i just wondering , where are all those guys who were saying that NHL players! means super quality:laugh: obviously there is a lot of guys in europe who are much better than 3-4 liners in NHL! what is most embarassing , they were beaten by second tier europen players :handclap:

the 3rd and 4th liners are role players.
They have to do a special job.
That means if you ask them for leading a team or score a bunch of goals
they WILL fail because they can't.
To be a NHL player means you are one of the best in your position.
I don't see any 4th line NHL role player playing 1st line in Europe.

Just watch the Olympics and you have a real taste of Worlds Hockey talent.

Last edited by a moderator:

ronnyweed

Aug 7, 2008
Ontario

I admit I have no idea what line he was on, but in 2004-2005 georges laraque had 16 points in 16 games with AIK in sweeden.... 11 of them goals

Oilmageddon*

Why do you follow the WJC then? It's a Z team. :shakehead
The world junior team is a indication on how strong the 2014 olympic team will look. if anything the American hockey program is getting stronger not weaker and the worlds is no indication on how strong a nation is when it comes to hockey as it does not reperesent their strongest team.

talenttracer

Nov 7, 2007

ohh you mean, like we saw in japan:sarcasm:

Tronador

Nov 13, 2003
Berlin
Visit site
To all fans from the USA, who are angry about Germany, because they lost the first game (concerning the non-relegation of last year):

I think Germany will loose against Denmark. So you can calm down.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
It's fine to say the media and most US hockey fans have no interest in the WC, but what about the players and their pride in representing their nation?

This is a list of players only from teams that didn't make the playoffs. Some of these guys were asked and declined, some might be injured, some would be considered over-the-hill, some names might make you laugh, but I'd take a team comprised of them (and another goalie, obviously) over the current roster. Throw in the talent from teams eliminated in the 1st round, and you'd certainly have a solid medal contender.

So as an American hockey fan embarrassed at our showing thus far, I'm asking ... where are these guys?

Forward:

• David Backus
  • Jason Blake
  • David Booth
  • Ryan Callahan
  • Erik Cole
  • Phil Kessell
  • Chad Larose
  • Ryan Malone
  • Todd Marchant
  • Mike Modano
  • Richard Park
  • Marty Reasoner
  • Bobby Ryan
  • Keith Tkachuk
  • R.J. Umberger
  • Doug Weight

Defense:

• Keith Ballard
  • Zach Bogosian
  • Jeff Finger
  • Tom Gilbert
  • Tim Gleason
  • Ron Hainsey
  • Erik Johnson
  • Matt Niskanen
  • Brian Pothier
  • James Wisniewski
  • Ryan Whitney

Goal: Ty Conklin

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
They are treating this just like the Men's Basketball team did in 2004 in Athens. Many didn't want to go or were really that concerned with going. Because of that, they lumped together what they could and sent them on their way. Result? Bronze Medal. First time in like 30 years we didn't take Gold.

Also, while not taking away from any country at this time....many other countries have been playing together for YEARS let alone during this season. To just throw a bunch of guys together at the last minute to send them to Germany isn't exactly a great way to get the job done.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
I anyone here who expects more than the late results from this
U.S. roster.
I mean if a staff puts a team like this together they deserve
the 2nd DIV.

The North American teams should even rethink their plans for the Worlds.
Every year the bid named players denies on the teams in U.S. and Canada.

So they should decide to send always AHL or College players.
Guys who are motivated and really try to start something.
I don't see any sense in sending a team full of 3rd and 4th liners and expect some medals.
They should just stop this embarassing stuff.

The other teams have tehir seasons finnished and put motivated team in a team camp and decide
after the cam. They have a lot of time to practice and develope.
Our guys just sending whoever they can find and see what happens.

Canada did not send a team full of 3rd and 4th liners.

ottsens08

Sep 25, 2007
top secret
No, I care about USA and international hockey. I'm a huge fan of it, but not this tournament. I like the Olympics and WJCs (and not because we just won gold this year either) much better. I actually like watching some of these games but honestly I couldn't care less if we lose with this team. It's a B team.. I like watching the best compete.
So why then are you taking the time to come here(the iihf world championship section) and ***** and moan about you not be a fan??? Maybe you should go post to the NHL playoffs section.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
So why then are you taking the time to come here(the iihf world championship section) and ***** and moan about you not be a fan??? Maybe you should go post to the NHL playoffs section.

:shakehead: so no one can come into these threads and post their opinion on what is going on with their country in a specific tourney?

ronnyweed

Aug 7, 2008
Ontario
:shakehead: so no one can come into these threads and post their opinion on what is going on with their country in a specific tourney?

whats they point if every post is how they dont care how this tourney unfolds... I dont post on the montreal canadiens forum saying I dont care about the canadiens

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
I admit I have no idea what line he was on, but in 2004-2005 georges laraque had 16 points in 16 games with AIK in sweeden.... 11 of them goals

Glen Metropolit was one of the best guys in the SEL when he couldn't crack the NHL.
Hell they call one of the fceoff circles "Metro's office" or something like that.

Also I know worst two teams get relegated, but if the US loses to Finland tomorrow night are they automatically gone?
Nevermind, if they lose they go to the relegation tourney and have to finnish in the bottom two.

Actually, I hope the US goes to D-I. 1) It will hopefully wake American (and Canadian) players up that yeah, other countries view this tourney as a big deal. Hopefully we do the same. Also, the US in D-I will bring more attention to the lower division, hopefully showcasing other hockey countries.

Last edited:

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
So as an American hockey fan embarrassed at our showing thus far, I'm asking ... where are these guys?

R.J. Umberger

Politics kept Umberger off the Olympic team. I don't blame him for going back and finishing up his college degree in the offseason instead of going to this tourney.

pouskin74*

Lol. The US only likes to play well on the grand stage, unlike Russia who can only win meaningless world championship games.

can you remind me what kind of tournament USA won during the last 14 years??:sarcasm:

ronnyweed

Aug 7, 2008
Ontario
The world junior team is a indication on how strong the 2014 olympic team will look. if anything the American hockey program is getting stronger not weaker and the worlds is no indication on how strong a nation is when it comes to hockey as it does not reperesent their strongest team.

if that logic is true, then canada should be 5 times better than america in 2014, unless of course USA wins the next 4 world jrs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad