Prospect Info: [2024] 1st rd selection - #31 OA - RD, Ben Danford - Oshawa Generals, OHL (6′2″/191lb)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Where will Ben Danford go in the 2024 NHL draft?​

After a breakout sophomore campaign, Ben Danford is currently ranked 35th on NHL Central Scouting's list of North American skaters.

Ben Danford is a reliable defender, who's 2023-24 season sent him shooting up rankings for the upcoming draft. Those that are swooning over the offensive juggernaut that is Zayne Parekh, or drooling over Sam Dickinson's puck carrying abilities may be overlooking Danford's reliable 200-foot game. He can be characterized succinctly as a player who looks after the little things and ensures that he rarely makes big mistakes.

"My skating ability and my competitiveness are the things that headline my strengths," said Danford when asked about his greatest strengths at the draft combine. "I think I can play in a lot of different situations and I like eating up minutes."

Offensively, he relies on his strong skating to hold off defenders while using his excellent vision to move pucks to his teammates. When in doubt, Danford will often take high percentage shots that result in rebounds and secondary opportunities for his teammates. Beyond the offensive improvement, Danford is also recognized as one of the leaders of the Generals squad. As a sophomore, he was an alternate captain for the team and used his hard work to lead by example.

One of the best example of his leadership ability is his willingness to block shots.

"I think blocking shots comes with competitiveness," said Danford. "I've always been a guy that wanted to win, and I think blocking shots and sacrificing your body is a big part of it. It's something I have always had in my game."

At the NHL level, Danford projects as a middle-pairing defender who can be relied upon to play a solid 200-foot game and play in all situations.

Currently, he is ranked behind only Parekh and Dickinson on the NHL Central Scouting's North American Skaters list. Fans of whichever team selects Danford can be assured their team is investing in a reliable defender with great potential and leadership qualities.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The clips at ~0:30 and ~0:41 are very very impressive. Those passes at 1:27, 1:33, and 1:55 are outrageous.

Dude is so impressive.

He seems very good at passing but might need to heavily work on his shooting ability... Hes very much a pass it in the net. Not many shot attempts/goals highlights lol

Reactions: arso40

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
And late risers ... players who improve later in the season.
His hard work and leadership showed during the playoffs. Through 21 games he recorded 4 goals and 6 assists for a total of 10 points.

Defensively, he is very reliable. He positions well, and takes away attacking players options on the rush, blocks shots and disrupts plays with his elite skating ability.

In his rookie campaign Danford ended the season a -4. That all change this past season where he finished the year a +27 the second best mark on his team.

In this season’s annual OHL coach’s poll, Danford was voted the best defensive defenseman, the second best shot-blocker, and finished third in hardest worker in the Eastern Conference.

PS. He was also a member of Team Canada u-18 t the recent 2023-24 Hlinka Gretzky Cup where Canada won GOLD.

Last edited:
Reactions: arso40 and Smif

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
What about Solberg? He's literally the same type of player but more physical?

The leafs wined and dined him and then rekt him

His hard work and leadership showed during the playoffs. Through 21 games he recorded 4 goals and 6 assists for a total of 10 points.

Defensively, he is very reliable. He positions well, and takes away attacking players options on the rush, blocks shots and disrupts plays with his elite skating ability.

In his rookie campaign Danford ended the season a -4. That all change this past season where he finished the year a +27 the second best mark on his team.

PS. He was also a member of Team Canada u-18 t the recent 2023-24 Hlinka Gretzky Cup where Canada won GOLD.

Mess’ stamp of approval

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad