Ilya Mikheyev

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Soup and Hyman are the guys who do the dirty work that’s apparently beneath others on the team

Ughhh comments like this are so damned tiring. First, crap like this has been posted every day for 5 years what do you think you're contributing? Second, Matthews and Tavares are both playing excellent two way hockey, the reason they don't fight for pucks the same way Hyman does it because they strip them way more efficiently. They're two all around centers committing to every facet of the game that's not shunning any of the work in my books, look a little bit closer and we don't need to knock down our good players in the name of making our depth look taller. They're doing fine but it's not like the appointed defensive players on our top lines are leaving anything wanting just because they can score.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
I agree.. I would top load the lines and try to shuffle a couple guys in the bottom 6.

Hyman Matthews Marner
Mikheyev Tavares Nylander
Boyd kerfoot Simmonds
Anderson Engvall Spezza

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
They're not the same build but I think he could be a Carl Hagelin, jack of all trades speed guy on a contending team, though the Poni comparisons are okay too.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He is fast and big so I would keep him but he makes no difference in playoffs ... 3rd liner if we can get for right price ...better then Vesey for sure

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Soup has been so snakebitten but it's hard not to love what he's bringing in terms of his speed, two way game, and compete. He's been a monster on the PK and continues to get chance.

TBH looks like he's been trying to play more like Hyman out there which is great.

Once the he breaks through I bet he'll become a valuable source of needed secondary scoring.

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
He has 1 assist in 6 games but he has been one of the best leaf players so far this season.

I feel like this guy should have way more points than he has, every time he has the puck in the neutral zone he effortlessly blows by everyone and gets a zone entry.
Also, he's amazing in puck battles, always wins the puck.

What does everyone else think?

Kapanen 2.0

Reactions: Crosscrease14

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
He doesn’t produce points but I think he really wears down the opposition and leaves them shell shocked. His presence keeps teams from cheating on offence.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Still an effective player, but he really needs to rediscover his scoring touch. I hope it doesn't become a long term issue because of his injury last year.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Ilya will score one in next two games. Book it.
Ok thank you. I was hoping this would end. I would like to see Kappy and Mikheyev head to head goal line to goal line this year. He’s blazing fast. He’s flat out explosive but no teammates can keep up to him..

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Has anyone ever seen Miks hands? He has terrific feet and his legs know how to use those feet, but I question if he actually has hands in those gloves.

OB34KNH

Apr 11, 2019
Has anyone ever seen Miks hands? He has terrific feet and his legs know how to use those feet, but I question if he actually has hands in those gloves.
He did slice his hand last year, that might have something to do with his lack of deking ability.
I mean, he doesn't need to have good hands, just needs to pass it off, drive to the net and bang one in. He's trying to be too pretty, however, he doesn't have much hand-eye. He's gotta play like a Johan Franzen, not Hyman. Hyman has a lot more skill than Mikheyev tbh.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
He did slice his hand last year, that might have something to do with his lack of deking ability.
I mean, he doesn't need to have good hands, just needs to pass it off, drive to the net and bang one in. He's trying to be too pretty, however, he doesn't have much hand-eye. He's gotta play like a Johan Franzen, not Hyman. Hyman has a lot more skill than Mikheyev tbh.

Wasnt it his wrist? He could still be getting his strength and feel back into it.

If he doesn’t it’s fine by me if he keeps doing what he’s doing game in and out

Reactions: Cpt Maple Leaf

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Yeah, he had a pretty serious wrist injury. I would imagine getting 100% mobility back is probably a challenge and even losing just a little mobility can make a world's difference when you're playing at the highest level.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Who cares if this guy is not scoring. He is playing like a beast. Love watching him fly around he must be the fastest player on our team.
His positioning is fantastic. Always seems to know where to be and has no problem going into the dirty areas.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Guy is playing with tenacity, drive, grit, speed. He's been excellent defensively, lots of chances, just can't bury. He's our mikel grabner 2.0, which... I'm honestly not even a little bit upset about

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I love his energy and speed, but the guy is so frustrating to watch in the offensive zone. He always looks like he’s in a panic and as a result he’s always coughing up the puck before the rest of the team gets into the zone and he has passing options.

He’s trying to play like Nylander: Carry-in, pivot and evade on the perimeter, buy time until teammates enter the zone, play keep away and get to open ice. But Mik doesn’t have the same puck skills and IQ to execute it. We usually end up with a low percentage shot on the wing with no screen or a turnover.

He’s bound to start producing though with the ability he does have. Someone here said Kapanen 2.0 and I agree with that. But soon he’ll have to be paired with someone who can lead the zone entries.

Guy is money on the PK.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad