Ilya Mikheyev

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

OB34KNH

Apr 11, 2019
He has 1 assist in 6 games but he has been one of the best leaf players so far this season.

I feel like this guy should have way more points than he has, every time he has the puck in the neutral zone he effortlessly blows by everyone and gets a zone entry.
Also, he's amazing in puck battles, always wins the puck.

What does everyone else think?

Reactions: HellasLEAF and KapG

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Can't say I disagree. I think the point will come but it's quite perplexing that he hasn't managed to put more up on the board

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
It's because he's a good player with a lot of good qualities, but his shot was destroyed by his injury. He hasn't built back up the necessary strength and accuracy in that wrist movement.

Reactions: Oscar Peterson

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
Even without producing offensively, he's still a very useful player due to his defensive impact. Should be able to at least put up assists at a decent pace if he gets top-6 minutes at any point.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
He reminds me of a skinny Ponikarovsky - very solid down the wing off the rush, more than capable of forcing turnovers in the O Zone and making the short pass, but it's like a flip was switched and he just completely lost his ability to finish. Hopefully he can recover fully and get his shot back.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
The chances are starting to happen and his skating is there. He'll get a bunch soon Im thinking.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
He’s a strong 2-way player. Puck tends to end up on his stick a lot.

Both he and Kerfoot, despite not producing a whole lot thus far, have looked a lot better than what they did in the bubble.

Production will come.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
I want to see him with Marner/Matthews. He is a good defensive third wheel on any good line but doesn't have what it takes to drive a line obviously.

I think its possible to build a good third line with Hyman/Kerfoot/Robertson that can generate chances. So I would rather try to find other pieces like Soup to fill in the top 6 complimentary positions.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Mikheyev's best effort and largest impact seems to come on the PK at present, where he has been extremely effective.

He isn't playing in the top 6 anymore as Jimmy Vesey seems to have taken that spot of his from last season.

Even with Thornton's injury it was Hyman that was first in line (and rightfully so) to move back in with the big boys.

Secondary offense was always going to be questionable coming from the bottom 6 forwards on a consistent basis, based partially on cap management and spending on your top 2 lines.

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeynorth

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I really like what he brings. He can't score for the life of him right now, but he drives play against pretty good players. The inability to produce should keep him out of our top6, but I really like having him on a third line that forces play down into the other team's zone and works their D to death.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I just hope he gets back to playing like pre injury soup and not playoff soup. Fast skater. But Leafs need some production from their third line if he isn’t going to bring grit.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Great to have guys like this can push the pace of play and be noticeable even when they're not producing. He can slot in on just about any line and fit really well - that kind of versatility is pretty valuable

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
One of him or Engvall need to play with Matthews and Marner. They both provide what that line needs or doesn't have when Hyman isn't on it

Reactions: Lumberg

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I like him a lot but he has tunnel vision and takes too many low percentage shots. Every time he has the puck, he needs to look for Kerfoot instead of looking at the net.

Reactions: Lumberg

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
I like him a lot but he has tunnel vision and takes too many low percentage shots. Every time he has the puck, he needs to look for Kerfoot instead of looking at the net.
That 3rd line has mainly been used for checking purposes. Against McDavid and LD it's probably not ideal to turn the puck over trying to create offence when you're the checking line. I have no problems with Soup doing that if he's playing on that line because eating up possession time should be the #1 goal of that line if they're going up against the opponent's top line(s).

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
He's doing his job well. Some secondary scoring from our third line would certainly be welcome, but Mikheyev has looked great. Defensively responsible, good PKer, great wheels. The rest will come

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
He’s had chances so I feel like once he gets one in the flood gates open.

I agree with an earlier poster about how the injury might have affected his shot. Here’s hoping he gets it back.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
He hasn't really been placed in situations conducive to production all that much (third line minutes). His defensive game has led to his season being a net positive from my perspective though.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Pretty obvious he's not a scorer, or at least it should be by now.

he's an excellent player in all other respects. what a checking type forward should be.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He’s a strong 2-way player. Puck tends to end up on his stick a lot.

Both he and Kerfoot, despite not producing a whole lot thus far, have looked a lot better than what they did in the bubble.

Production will come.

Yup, they've both looked really good and IIRC, Soupy scored in 6 games in a row before getting injured. I'm not gonna put too much stock into numbers after 6 games and I'm happy with his game so far.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He’s making things happen, which suggests the points will come. Very noticeable when he’s on the ice, just lacks finish at the moment.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Soup and Hyman are the guys who do the dirty work that’s apparently beneath others on the team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad