Confirmed with Link: Ilya Mikheyev (15% retained by VAN), '27 2nd rounder, & rights to Sam Lafferty for '27 4th rounder

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from. KD has been saying forever that he wanted to space out picks.

We keep walking into each draft with like 7 picks in the first 3 rounds and this will continue for the foreseeable future.

This gives us multiple lottery tickets and also the capital to move up if we really like someone. Eventually capital to move for final pieces. This seems like a very sustainable strategy.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from. KD has been saying forever that he wanted to space out picks.

We keep walking into each draft with like 7 picks in the first 3 rounds and this will continue for the foreseeable future.

This gives us multiple lottery tickets and also the capital to move up if we really like someone. Eventually capital to move for final pieces. This seems like a very sustainable strategy.

Yes we can sustainably be the sabers forever

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
You think this is year 2 of the rebuild?
I mean... it is. It's not me thinking that. It's literally what it is.

The big sell-off of this team's talent for high-end picks happened in the summer of 2022, like 3 months after Davidson officially took over as permanent GM. That's when the major teardown started. Not sure how you can figure the rebuild is on any timeline other than that one...

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I mean... it is. It's not me thinking that. It's literally what it is.

The big sell-off of this team's talent for high-end picks happened in the summer of 2022, like 3 months after Davidson officially took over as permanent GM. That's when the major teardown started. Not sure how you can figure the rebuild is on any timeline other than that one...

We’ve had multiple top 10 picks before then. You can say the Seth jones pick goes against that but the hawks have been in the lottery since 2018

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
We’ve had multiple top 10 picks before then. You can say the Seth jones pick goes against that but the hawks have been in the lottery since 2018
Bowman was never trying to "rebuild". Like... what? Are you high right now?

Just because his teams sucked at the end doesn't mean he was trying to rebuild. He was just awful at his job the last 3-4 years of his tenure.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
You think this is year 2 of the rebuild?
As you point out. They traded one of those top 10 picks For Jones. Bowman wasn't rebuilding with that trade push. When Davidson took over mid year, they couldn't really rebuild yet they didn't have that 1st rounder. That team gave a 7th? To CBJ. But then that offseason is when he began to rebuild and plan fully for the future.

rebuilding doesn’t mean you trade away every useable part of a team. The hawks traded for havlat in 2006, does that mean they weren’t rebuilding then?
The Hawks were trying to win all the time up to the Kane and Toews era... yeah Bill Wirtz was just cheap. Do you think theyvwere rebuilding I'm 02-04 or cheap? After the cap was put in. They were spending to the cap. Yeah they weren't rebuilding. They thought adding Accoin, Khabuilin, & Havlat was a team to win. Not a rebuild effort.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
rebuilding doesn’t mean you trade away every useable part of a team. The hawks traded for havlat in 2006, does that mean they weren’t rebuilding then?
By your logic, the Hawks were also rebuilding in 2012. Or maybe even 2014, and again in 2016.. Then they were also rebuilding in 2001. Also, in 1985, and again in 1995. Like... this is such a ridiculous thought process. You could literally make the argument that they were ALWAYS rebuilding, based on your logic.

The true rebuild of this team started in the summer of 2022. The real teardown started then. Bowman was basically trying to win still... not rebuild, up to the very last day he was employed by the Hawks. And that was obvious to anyone with eyes.

Reactions: Giovi

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
By your logic, the Hawks were also rebuilding in 2012. Or maybe even 2014, and again in 2016.. Then they were also rebuilding in 2001. Also, in 1985, and again in 1995. Like... this is such a ridiculous thought process. You could literally make the argument that they were ALWAYS rebuilding, based on your logic.

The true rebuild of this team started in the summer of 2022. The real teardown started then. Bowman was basically trying to win still... not rebuild, up to the very last day he was employed by the Hawks. And that was obvious to anyone with eyes.

They absolutely were rebuilding in 2012, they lost like a third of the roster. Let me say it again, rebuilding doesn’t mean trade every useful part of your team. The idea you have to trade everyone and tank in order to rebuild is something sold to you by owners that want to save money

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
They absolutely were rebuilding in 2012, they lost like a third of the roster. Let me say it again, rebuilding doesn’t mean trade every useful part of your team. The idea you have to trade everyone and tank in order to rebuild is something sold to you by owners that want to save money

Uhhhh... what?

I'm convinced you're still awake and drunk from last night, at this point.

re·build
/rēˈbild/
verb

1. build (something) again after it has been damaged or destroyed.

Re-tooling after losing guys to Stanley Cup contract raises... is not rebuilding.

If I get a new roof on my house because of hail damage, did I rebuild my house?

If I get a new battery in my car, did I rebuild the engine?

Reactions: Giovi and ClydeLee

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Uhhhh... what?

I'm convinced you're still awake and drunk from last night, at this point.

re·build
/rēˈbild/
verb

1. build (something) again after it has been damaged or destroyed.

Re-tooling after losing guys to Stanley Cup contract raises... is not rebuilding.

If I get a new roof on my house because of hail damage, did I rebuild my house?

If I get a new battery in my car, did I rebuild the engine?

Retool is just another word for rebuild. Like I said the hawks have been in the lottery for 6 years. If that’s not a rebuild I don’t know what is. Trying to be competitive while you rebuild your roster doesn’t mean you aren’t trying to rebuild. Also your battery isn’t part of your engine but if you replace all of the pistons then yes you’ve rebuilt the engine even if everything else is the same

• Haha
Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Retool is just another word for rebuild. Like I said the hawks have been in the lottery for 6 years. If that’s not a rebuild I don’t know what is. Trying to be competitive while you rebuild your roster doesn’t mean you aren’t trying to rebuild
:huh:

They're two different words, with two massively different meanings.

retool​

verb

re·tool (ˌ)rē-ˈtül
intransitive verb
: to make especially minor changes or improvements
"retool for the future"

Should I come up with more examples of how slightly modifying something to make it a little better is NOT rebuilding something?

I add a cold air intake to my car. Did I rebuild the engine?

I paint and replace fixtures in my bathroom. Did I rebuild a new bathroom?

Like how is this even a hill you're dying on right now?

Reactions: d rake and ClydeLee

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Retool is just another word for rebuild. Like I said the hawks have been in the lottery for 6 years. If that’s not a rebuild I don’t know what is. Trying to be competitive while you rebuild your roster doesn’t mean you aren’t trying to rebuild. Also your battery isn’t part of your engine but if you replace all of the pistons then yes you’ve rebuilt the engine even if everything else is the same
The hole is deep enough man, just stop digging.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
:huh:

They're two different words, with two massively different meanings.

retool​

verb

re·tool (ˌ)rē-ˈtül
intransitive verb
: to make especially minor changes or improvements
"retool for the future"

Should I come up with more examples of how slightly modifying something to make it a little better is NOT rebuilding something?

I add a cold air intake to my car. Did I rebuild the engine?

I paint and replace fixtures in my bathroom. Did I rebuild a new bathroom?

Like how is this even a hill you're dying on right now?

Making major changes to the roster doesn’t mean explicitly getting worse. Even if it did the hawks dumped Keith and seabrook in 2021, guess that doesn’t count. Neither does trading Hammer in 2020 or Hossa in 2018.

Last edited:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Making major changes to the roster doesn’t mean explicitly getting worse. Even if it did the hawks dumped Keith and seabrook in 2021, guess that doesn’t count. Neither does trading Hammer in 2020 or Hossa in 2018.
Getting value for guys at the end of their careers, while they still have value, means it's a rebuild then?

Keith and Seabs were both falling, or had fallen off a cliff. Keith was pretty damn bad his last season or two here. Seabs was literally addition by subtraction at that point. Just him not being on the ice improved the D.

Hammer was also slowing down considerably. Hossa essentially retired due to a medical issue... he wasn't traded as part of a "rebuild".

I'm actually mind-blown that you're still dying on this silly f***ing hill. And trying to reach for any little straw you can grasp to make the case. It's nonsensical. This teardown/rebuild is literally just beginning its 3rd year. There really is no disputing that. By your logic, teams are just in a perpetual "rebuild". Which is just a dumb take.

Reactions: Giovi

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
lol what. They didn't get picks and prospects for trading Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, or Hossa. Of course it doesn't count.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Getting value for guys at the end of their careers, while they still have value, means it's a rebuild then?

Keith and Seabs were both falling, or had fallen off a cliff. Keith was pretty damn bad his last season or two here. Seabs was literally addition by subtraction at that point. Just him not being on the ice improved the D.

Hammer was also slowing down considerably. Hossa essentially retired due to a medical issue... he wasn't traded as part of a "rebuild".

I'm actually mind-blown that you're still dying on this silly f***ing hill. And trying to reach for any little straw you can grasp to make the case. It's nonsensical. This teardown/rebuild is literally just beginning its 3rd year. There really is no disputing that. By your logic, teams are just in a perpetual "rebuild". Which is just a dumb take.

Turning over your entire D core isn’t rebuilding, got it

• Haha

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
It's a semantics argument but the difference between rebuilding and retooling is the expectations to win. Seth was brought in in an effort to prop the window open for Toews and Kane. The rebuild started with the DeBrincat trade and letting Strome and Kubalik walk. The Hammer and Panarin trades were definitely an effort to retool the roster. Didn't work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad