IIHF Statement on the Russian Invasion of Ukraine (NO POLITICS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
No, that’s not how it works. These sanctions etc will for sure infuriate some people, but it will mostly make people tired of their leadership, like always. These sanctions will turn people away from Putin, it will make him look bad. His war will make the people suffer. Propaganda always exists. If Russia is allowed to compete and join the rest of the world in events and stuff, it’s like telling them “Hey, all is OK, take whatever country you’d like, we don’t give a s**t”

Smart people will see it that way. Smart people try to get their information from many different sources. Smart people in Russia have ways to find information that doesn't come from their own government controlled media. Unfortunately, not all people are smart. Most people are sheep who only follows the herd.

Personally, I'm all for excluding Russia from the world championships. But that's mostly because of my own anger and for my own amusement. But if it's actually going to help more than it harms, I can't say for sure.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Smart people will see it that way. Smart people try to get their information from many different sources. Smart people in Russia have ways to find information that doesn't come from their own government controlled media. Unfortunately, not all people are smart. Most people are sheep who only follows the herd.

Personally, I'm all for excluding Russia from the world championships. But that's mostly because of my own anger and for my own amusement. But if it's actually going to help more than it harms, I can't say for sure.
Well, it did help with the case of South Africa and the apartheid, for one. We’re already seeing athletes and teams refusing to play in events where Russia is represented, which is totally understandable. It’s either - shut down all sports/events there is, or ban Russia for x amount of years or until they’ve left Ukraine and paid all the costs, taking the blame and go back and live in shame under the Ural mountains

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
I find it revolting and nauseating :pout: that at a time when innocent civilians including children are getting slaughtered, some HFBoards posters keep suggesting that Russia should not be banned from international events because this might perhaps hurt the dumb but tender-hearted Russian people's feelings. That it might somehow offend, annoy or anger them if they're unable to watch their national hockey team games or their crooners at the Eurovision song contest.

Are you kidding me??? Can you get any more cynical? Get a grip, folks.

member 305909

At my place of work we have quite a lot of Russians working for us. Usually they are very loud but cheerful.

However I couldnt help noticing that during the past couple of days they have been unusually quiet. They have appeared somehow subdued as if they are ashamed or embarrassed.

Stupid really as they have nothing to apologize for.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
That’s not really how things will work out under Putins propaganda machinery. This will only be yet another reason to blame the west. Russia becomes the victim, as always. Sanctions targeting the general population is always a terrible idea.

This is true that any Western action that affects the quality of life for the Russian people will be used as propaganda to paint Russia as a victim. However, fear of the effects of paranoia should not and must not prevent sane action from being taken in the first place. Russia needs to be isolated in every way possible in order to feel the weight of their leader's and thus their country's criminal activity, and to lend at least moral support to those in Russia who every day are harassed, punished and even killed for acting in opposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad