IIHF Statement on the Russian Invasion of Ukraine (NO POLITICS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Yup. When he's playing for the Capitals he's not representing Russia. AFAIK he's not part of Putin's inner circle so he's free from sanctions.
nope, he has been one of the most vocal supporters of putin's regime for like 10 years, has always been the first to endorse him come so called elections and even created the putin team to be of more help. That talk of him not represnting Russia is plain nonsense. He shold pay the price for putin's aggression in Ukraine.

Tmu84

- Tmuussoni
Feb 2, 2011
Funland
I'm sorry, but absolutely Russia and Belarus must not be allowed to participate in any tournament nor to host any games. Yes, we know the players are not responsible for their dictator, but this is the way to isolate Russia and make more Russian citizens more aware how this nutcase is running down the whole country. And with a serious risk of triggering World War 3 now....

Last edited:

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
nope, he has been one of the most vocal supporters of putin's regime for like 10 years, has always been the first to endorse him come so called elections and even created the putin team to be of more help. That talk of him not represnting Russia is plain nonsense. He shold pay the price for putin's aggression in Ukraine.

LOL, keep dreaming.

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
Take Russia by holding an adult team tournament and return to Switzerland. The Swiss were unlucky for covid, so it can come back to them now. And WJC 2023 calmly take place in Germany.

People should not forget the Belarusian role in the attack on Ukraine. And once after the war, accounts will be taken.
This is absolutely disgusting ..

Reactions: Guttersniped

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Russia doesn't belong at any international tournament and the players are playing for their country. Too bad for the players but this is far more significant than sport.

It is indeed far more significant than sport, which is why whatever the IIHF does is trivial. Russia is not punished in anything close to a meaningful way by Russian teams not playing in hockey tournaments. I won't be displeased if Russia does get banned even though I prefer it not to happen. I'm all for actions that are actually significant. Weak actions that have no actual impact but allow people to pat themselves on the back, and banning Russian teams would be yet another one of those, have done nothing thus far.

Reactions: ORRFForever

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
It is indeed far more significant than sport, which is why whatever the IIHF does is trivial. Russia is not punished in anything close to a meaningful way by Russian teams not playing in hockey tournaments. I won't be displeased if Russia does get banned even though I prefer it not to happen. I'm all for actions that are actually significant. Weak actions that have no actual impact but allow people to pat themselves on the back, and banning Russian teams would be yet another one of those, have done nothing thus far.

No, because hockey is Putin's sport and Timchenko will never publicly criticize what his president is currently doing. The same is football, Russian sport should unite and oppose the war. Then it can be considered that the IIHF, UEFA or FIFA should not exclude Russian teams from their competitions. However, if the sport in Russia is silent, there is no other option than to exclude them from all competitions until further notice.

It is unbelievable to me that Russian clubs play friendly matches with each other no matter what happens in the world.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden

Russia arguably takes sports more seriously than any other country in the world. They'll do anything to win, hence the systematic doping. Banning Russia from international events may be trivial, but at least it takes away one platform where they like to display dominance.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Russia arguably takes sports more seriously than any other country in the world. They'll do anything to win, hence the systematic doping. Banning Russia from international events may be trivial, but at least it takes away one platform where they like to display dominance.
Display dominance in sport? they don't even do that.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
No, because hockey is Putin's sport and Timchenko will never publicly criticize what his president is currently doing. The same is football, Russian sport should unite and oppose the war. Then it can be considered that the IIHF, UEFA or FIFA should not exclude Russian teams from their competitions. However, if the sport in Russia is silent, there is no other option than to exclude them from all competitions until further notice.

It is unbelievable to me that Russian clubs play friendly matches with each other no matter what happens in the world.

It doesn't matter if Putin or Russians really like sports. If Russia gets more or less cut off from the Western world, with meaningful punishments that people in Western countries will actually feel the impact of themselves, then that is something potentially worthwhile. If removing Russian teams from international competition is part of that then that's fine. If it's a weak pantomime, as has been going on for decades, then it's beyond a waste of time and can be added to the various pointless "diplomatic" strategies that have been utilized for decades. Symbolic gestures have no point in the current situation, and taking Russia out of hockey would be a symbolic gesture that would let some people pretend that action was taken (as painlessly as possible).

Reactions: jj cale and THE JAM

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Because he is a major Putin supporter. It's that simple. I'm not saying that all the Russian players in the NHL need to suffer consequences. But Ovechkin is a Putin lackey who is now showing his yellow streak.

I understand that. I've lost respect for Ovechkin too, his buttlicking of Putin is attrocious.
My point was regarding the double standard. Why aren't American players held to the standard Ovechkin is being held? There have been plenty who supported war mongering presdients like Bush, etc.
Shit, when the Yanks were invading the Iraqis, NHL teams were holding support the troops games. If we did the same it would be considered blasphemy by you people.
Why wasn't the US getting banned from tournaments?

Is it because we're invading a European Country as opposed to invading and continuosly bombing 3rd world nations full of brown people?

Seriously, the double standard is astounding.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I understand that. I've lost respect for Ovechkin too, his buttlicking of Putin is attrocious.
My point was regarding the double standard. Why aren't American players held to the standard Ovechkin is being held? There have been plenty who supported war mongering presdients like Bush, etc.
Shit, when the Yanks were invading the Iraqis, NHL teams were holding support the troops games. If we did the same it would be considered blasphemy by you people.

Is it because we're invading a European Country as opposed to invading and continuosly bombing 3rd world nations full of brown people?

I don't fault O.V. - he's just trying to be a proud Russian.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden

It's because this is invading a decromocy instead of invading a dictatorship. I'm not saying either is right, but the western world consists mainly of democrats, and so an attack against a democratic country is obviously not going to be well recieved. Shouldn't come as a surprise.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

It's because The US can't be considered a single entity. It's actions depend on the administration in charge. Everybody knows that Al Gore wouldn't have invaded Iraq. And also, US takes responsibility for it's mistakes. Granted, this may again depend on the administration. They also have medias that hold the government accountable. You can't say the same about Russia.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tmu84 and luiginb

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Not a fan of symbolic gestures.

There's nothing symbolic about it. When you know that the entire world shuns you and despises you, that is inflicting real psychological pain, quite apart from commercial aspects.

I find it very unlikely that Finland and Sweden, who was explicitly threatened with war today, and Ukraine will participate in any events with Russia anytime soon.

Nor should Slovakia and the Czech Republic, who were not only threatened but invaded in the same way back in 1968.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Historically, during Soviet times, they've absolutely dominated in sports they care about. Ice hockey, figure skating, gymnastics...
I'm talking about recent history or not even recent like last 20 years and even longer, they haven't.

The dominance they used to have has been gone for ages now. I sit here and try to think of sports I automatically think of Russia when mentioned now......Figure skating? sort of in tennis? gymnastics?

That's all I can think of and they don't even dominate in them really. An athletic giant they ain't.

I suppose if I took a look at results I would discover they still pick up a lot of medals overall in the olympics but in sports most of the world couldn't even give a rats ass about, medals in skeet shooting and stuff, whoop de do.

I consider them to be an average or slightly above average nation athletically across the board considering their population.

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
Yeah, weak pantomimes have been going on for decades and as you can see, putin didn't mind. The sanctions so far have been just ridiculously weak and putin has been encouraged by that.
The agression vs UKR and threats to use nuclear weapons if anyone tries to help the Ukrainians - or if Finland or Sweden wants to join NATO - what else do you need to say - as long as that maniac is still alive and controls russia, no way any russian team should be participating in any international events.

Last edited:

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
There's nothing symbolic about it. When you know that the entire world shuns you and despises you, that is inflicting real psychological pain, quite apart from commercial aspects.

Nor should Slovakia and the Czech Republic, who were not only threatened but invaded in the same way back in 1968.

The year 1968 and their invasion of Czechoslovakia, according to their explanation, was exactly like that - Czechoslovakia invited us to restore order. Of course, the Czechoslovaks saw it differently, as an occupation for which there was no reason. The only politician in Soviet history who opposed them was Josip Tito and his Yugoslavia.

In my opinion, the war will end when Russia invades Slovakia. At that moment, all NATO countries will be involved. I personally don't trust the Russians in anything they say. Historical experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad